U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 12:33 PM

24 posts, read 114,615 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Delray / Boynton Beach area from New York and would like feedback on:

Quality of Life
Crime Rate....I have heard that Florida is very spotty and there is a lot of crime. West, close to the turnpike is safer.
Job Opportunities

Hearing from New Yorkers who have moved to Florida would be a great help.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 05:43 AM

850 posts, read 2,212,508 times
I moved down here on July 1 and found a job very quickly--law office. I moved to Boca. I had very low expectations for FL but moved because my parents are here. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. The weather is better, air doesn't stink and rents are cheaper. I couldn't afford to stay in NY anymore. Still miss NY but it wasn't practical anymore. I have not encountered crime but there is definitely crime. I picked a very small rental but in a very "safe area". The gyms are good and more affordable. Car insurance is higher though. So far, so good-I think you can't expect it to be NY--it's not.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:40 PM

8 posts, read 9,648 times
Thumbs up Love this county!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseUSA View Post
I am moving to the Delray / Boynton Beach area from New York and would like feedback on:

Quality of Life
Crime Rate....I have heard that Florida is very spotty and there is a lot of crime. West, close to the turnpike is safer.
Job Opportunities

Hearing from New Yorkers who have moved to Florida would be a great help.

Thanks
I'm not from the city. But I did grow up in Buffalo, NY and just moved here from Los Angeles, CA last year.

My experience has been surprisingly wonderful. I too, did not have very high expectations as I was coming from a very nice area of California. I couldn't have been any more pleasantly surprised.

The quality of life for me has risen 10 fold. For example, everyone I meet (especially New Yorkers) have been outwardly friendly and communicative. No matter we we are, people are easy to get along with. I would say that this area is similar in the friendliness of Nashville, TN. (I still have a home there too.) I cannot stress that enough -- the people here (no matter where they were from or whether they were born here) are really friendly and kind and helpful.

There so many things to do here. And going to the beach in the summer is always the highlight of my week. The beaches here are clean and uncrowded. The dog beach here is AMAZING! Miles of beautiful beach with lots of dogs running around and people getting along. Lots of people come to that part of the beach even if they don't have a dog, it's that nice.

All the national traveling plays come through the area. Plus Fort Lauderdale is just a short drive away with basically zero traffic. Miami can be reached in an hour to and hour and a half depending on the traffic. That's not bad considering how big Miami is. But really, you won't hardly even go that far south because you will find enough things to do here. And if you like art festivals and outdoor concerts (free!) you will be able to go to one literally every week. The people in the area are also in pretty good shape compared to many other areas of the south. People are just healthier here. And they are happier too. Because really, what's to hate? Almost constant sunshine, doesn't get as hot as many nearby states do, wonderful restaurants, lots of places to work out on the cheap. And Groupons make it possible to get a 200 dollar massage at a high end spa for less than 50 bucks. Remember, people come here to vacation. It's like a huge resort.

I don't live near any of the crime areas so I cannot comment on that. However, I believe that most violent crime is concentrated to just a few neighborhoods/towns. I have never felt intimidated anywhere I have been. And that includes several visits to City Place in West Palm Beach. Oftentimes, we don't even lock our doors when we go out. Even at night.

Another thing that I found to be awesome (probably my favorite thing) about this area is that the race relations here are fantastic. I have never had so many friends of different races than since we have moved here. I find it delightful and welcoming. In LA, the whites, blacks, hispanics and asians never spoke to each other. It was the worst place I have ever lived. But here, there are no colors. It's amazing and you have to experience it for yourself to get it. And when you do you will be as pleased as I was. I brought my children up in a mixed neighborhood in New York and it is like that here. This area is a diamond in the rough.

As far as jobs go I'm not sure. Although everyone I know has a job and most of their companies are hiring.

Anyway. If you make the move, I doubt you will be sorry. Like Nashville, this is one of America's best kept secrets.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:47 PM

38 posts, read 32,549 times
is high point a safe area to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or