Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 09:41 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

Advertisements

the downside - location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 05:41 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Thumbs up Del Ray

depends what you are looking . Old Florida look and Charm its the place. Like Is and grown up entertainment. trendy restaurants. A newly remodeled Art Deco building complete with neon lights, down from the Old Colony Hotel.

The Colony Hotel built in 1925 -1926 is rumored to be haunted by Charles Bowden and is still owned by the Bowden Family.

There is the Blue Anchor which has the original doors from the White Chapel district in London, England and Jack the Ripper was rumored to pick out his victims. Past the History good beer and Fish and Chips!

If you look past the main strip there is some very quant restaurants in old Victorian homes.

To live and you are in the right area is a good place to land if you are a water person.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:52 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydfan1 View Post
Hi All,

I know the overwhelming opinion on Delray is that it's a great place to live. I'm considering moving there from Miami. I rarely read anything genuinely negative about Delray.

Still, I have a question. Considering that I have always lived in a big city like Miami (Im SWM mid 40s), I sometimes wonder if I will get "Small Town Syndrome" living in Delray. I guess I'm fearful that I'll get bored fast because it's a small area.

Does anyone have any insight on moving to Delray from a large city?

Many thx.
I lived in Delray Beach for a number of years, as well as Boca Raton, but moved to Miami.

From my perspective, the downside was that the better schools for children were in the middle or western, more suburban, part of both "towns" (western parts are, or were, unincorporated Palm Beach County, not Delray Beach or Boca Raton proper in terms of local administration), and I can't stand suburbs, preferring either dense urban or rural. In Miami, almost all of the better schools are on the east side and very close to the most urbanized areas.

In Delray Beach, your housing options can range from a townhouse "downtown" to a small house on some quiet street immersed in foliage, a huge mansion right on the beach, or perhaps a condo or some floppy rental near the beach.

So from your perspective, apparently with no school-age children, and assuming you can afford the housing of your choice east of Atlantic Avenue, there probably is no downside.

But, like everywhere else, it will probably come down to whether you are comfortable with the people whom you would deal with on a daily and weekly basis.

There are plenty of art, sports and entertainment activities going on in Delray Beach and Boca Raton, as well as the beach of course, but it could get boring fast if you do not have people to share them with, or unless you are happy being a loner in an environment that offers a balanced combination of semi-urban/suburban and socially active areas with very quiet nooks and crannies surrounding them; e.g. I believe that some number of writers and artists settle in Delray Beach.

Also, the extreme western and northern parts of Palm Beach County up towards Lake Okeechobee are purely rural if you want to take a drive with no traffic.

Good Luck!

Old 09-28-2015, 09:48 PM

236 posts, read 388,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
From my perspective, the downside was that the better schools for children were in the middle or western, more suburban, part of both "towns" (western parts are, or were, unincorporated Palm Beach County, not Delray Beach or Boca Raton proper in terms of local administration), and I can't stand suburbs, preferring either dense urban or rural. In Miami, almost all of the better schools are on the east side and very close to the most urbanized areas.

Good Luck!
It's my understanding the only good public non-charter schools in Dade County are in Pinecrest which would still put you in the suburbs. Although the public schools in eastern Dade County may be better than the public schools in eastern Broward or Palm Beach Counties. However, I think the public schools in the suburban areas of Broward and Palm Beach are better than all the non-charter public schools in Dade County except for the schools in Pinecrest.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:46 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydfan1 View Post
Was there something about Delray that prompted your move to Miami? Or was it something unrelated like job, family, etc.
I only moved to Miami because I got a job down there. I'd actually go back to Delray in a heartbeat if I could, but the job itself is good, so Miami is where I am.....for now.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:37 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
What actually is "West" Delray ? Someone I know very well said that they don't go out at night because of crime. That is a bit daunting.

Also, does anyone have info on the Bridgeview Condos in that area? Thanks.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
What actually is "West" Delray ? Someone I know very well said that they don't go out at night because of crime. That is a bit daunting.

Also, does anyone have info on the Bridgeview Condos in that area? Thanks.
West Delray is anything in Delray west of 95.
And that person you know very well---- sounds like a nut case. Crime is not so bad in delray that one cannot go out at night. HA!
Is she/he agoraphobic perhaps? I would take that with a massive grain of salt. One area...east of 95 along atlantic ave is a little dicey, but if you're just driving through... nothing to worry about. Delray, overall is quite safe and your acquaintance sounds seriously paranoid

Old 09-29-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
West Delray is anything in Delray west of 95.
And that person you know very well---- sounds like a nut case. Crime is not so bad in delray that one cannot go out at night. HA!
Is she/he agoraphobic perhaps? I would take that with a massive grain of salt. One area...east of 95 along atlantic ave is a little dicey, but if you're just driving through... nothing to worry about. Delray, overall is quite safe and your acquaintance sounds seriously paranoid

No reason to bash someone you don't even know and resort to name calling. Geesh ! I believe she meant that they don't go out shopping at night because of incidents in parking lots. Did I define it well enough to suit your own sensibilities?

Maybe because you live in Miami, you aren't as cautious or sensitive to other areas. A 'little dicey' to you could mean anything.

Can you or anyone else comment positively or negatively about Bridgeview Condos, which are actually in West Delray. ? thank you.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
No reason to bash someone you don't even know and resort to name calling. Geesh ! I believe she meant that they don't go out shopping at night because of incidents in parking lots. Did I define it well enough to suit your own sensibilities?

Maybe because you live in Miami, you aren't as cautious or sensitive to other areas. A 'little dicey' to you could mean anything.

Can you or anyone else comment positively or negatively about Bridgeview Condos, which are actually in West Delray. ? thank you.
Ma'am, I moved from Delray Beach to Miami just last year. I attended FAU, worked at FAU, lived in Delray for many many years. I'm actually quite familiar with Delray as a whole as I've lived in east Delray off Swinton and west Delray off Atlantic ave ...in Lexington Club Estates by the turnpike. (Sorry, I dont know anything specific about bridegwater)

So my idea of dicey is prob pretty accurate.
Don't assume cuz I live in Miami now that my perspective is somehow not as good or accurate as yours.
And the way you worded your previous post made it seem like your friend did not go outdoors after dark, which of course we both know is ridiculous.
SO, naturally I thought your friend might be agoraphobic

Old 09-29-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Ma'am, I moved from Delray Beach to Miami just last year. I attended FAU, worked at FAU, lived in Delray for many many years. I'm actually quite familiar with Delray as a whole as I've lived in east Delray off Swinton and west Delray off Atlantic ave ...in Lexington Club Estates by the turnpike. (Sorry, I dont know anything specific about bridegwater)

So my idea of dicey is prob pretty accurate.
Don't assume cuz I live in Miami now that my perspective is somehow not as good or accurate as yours.
And the way you worded your previous post made it seem like your friend did not go outdoors after dark, which of course we both know is ridiculous.
SO, naturally I thought your friend might be agoraphobic

There is no intention on my part to banter with you. If you had been courteous and took more time to give your 'resume', that would have been more informative and helpful. Rather, you chose to ramble on with a 'touchy' attitude. Sorry you are so stressed. Some folks don't care to go out after dark, doesn't mean they are fruitcakes or agoraphobic. I am not interested in your education, your work experience or where you lived then or now.

Simply answering a simple question with a helpful common sense reply would have been appreciated. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach