U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:31 PM

259 posts, read 220,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
I've lived in three different cities/towns and well, this doesn't sound much different than things I've experienced or heard about from other people around those places.

Secondary school is secondary school, it doesn't reflect real life, or a whole wide area/part of a city. As for the other stuff like the pot and the thing with the principal... I cannot think of any reasons why this would affect you. But then again for me, I don't really care what anyone else is doing around me so maybe it's different for you.

Honestly, with everything you just posted, I'd still rather be in West Boca than where I'm living now.
Which is Michigan?
My point is this is not the utopia some of our locales make it out to be. The point is besides my subjective experience in HS, it's what I've SEEN all around. Abundant marijuana, traffic, hostile and/or fake behavior from the locales (of all ages), materialism (salons, salons, everywhere), yes some crime as well (though it could be a helluva lot worse), it is NOT paradise, it might not be hell but it is not paradise either. So you have far better options but of course, if you prefer an upper-middle class suburb with materialistic and pretentious locales as well as a somewhat prevalent drug problem with privileged youths trying to act 'tough' while cowering in shiny McMansions over anything else, West Boca IS Mayberry in essence.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:37 PM

747 posts, read 833,420 times
FL Watch, one thing that I think you can really bring that is of considerable value to the discussion of life in FL, or even life in general, is what you touched on briefly, and that is the youth viewpoint of drugs and lifestyle affecting local communities. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this. I have friends in law enforcement and the stats and things I hear are staggering in terms of how much it impacts people from all walks of life, up & down the socioeconomic spectrum. There's a whole different world that exists literally right outside the door (or in many cases right inside the walls) that so many don't know about, but that dramatically impacts local communities.

Please feel free to elaborate (or not, if you don't want to), referencing your experience in certain towns if you'd like.

For whatever it's worth, to bring this idea to a specific example, my wife and I have passed on certain FL towns because of an ever-increasing drug problem and quality of life issues. Towns that are otherwise beautiful, but have an undercurrent that doesn't bode well for its reasonable future. That's a big problem.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:41 PM

107 posts, read 71,446 times
Yowza, war and peace to say.....what...? Avoid west boca...ok. Noted.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:40 AM

4,941 posts, read 5,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
Honestly, with everything you just posted, I'd still rather be in West Boca than where I'm living now.
The Sandalfoot area of west Boca has been known for a few years now as an area with a drug/crime problem.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:08 AM

194 posts, read 197,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
Which is Michigan?
I do not understand the question. Are you asking which state Michigan is? Because it can be found on a map of the US.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:02 PM

5,073 posts, read 7,918,036 times
This is just ridiculous.

I attended FAU in east Boca and lived in Boca for three years after graduating, so I spent a total of about 7 years in lovely Boca Raton. Actually dated someone from west Boca (Mission bay area) and always thought that area to be a very solidly middle-class area with decent enough people. Mostly families, etc. Never encountered any of this stuff you're speaking of. Oh well.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:37 PM

2,444 posts, read 1,712,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
This is just ridiculous.

I attended FAU in east Boca and lived in Boca for three years after graduating, so I spent a total of about 7 years in lovely Boca Raton. Actually dated someone from west Boca (Mission bay area) and always thought that area to be a very solidly middle-class area with decent enough people. Mostly families, etc. Never encountered any of this stuff you're speaking of. Oh well.
You are also an adult. Try viewing the world through the eyes of a teenager...

High School sucks, other girls are mean.... EVERYONE AVOID WEST BOCA!!!!

Old 01-05-2016, 04:58 PM

12,127 posts, read 14,075,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Ah, great, please share more of your life advice, oh wise teenager.

Did you get this folks? Please avoid Boca Raton because a high schooler had some people talk behind their back at school. Noted.
West Boca is a punchline at best......NY/NJ refugees that want to brag they live in Bocur. Hint: If you call the police and the city of Boca Raton cops don't respond but PBSO does.....Your in the wrong side of Boca!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
This is just ridiculous.

Nothing is ever as it seems.
All I'm pointing out is that this isn't the utopia people make it out to be.
Nothing to do with my limited experience in school, but rather the culture all around me. I spent close to 8 years HERE in THIS side of town... I think I'd know what I'm talking about. People get to trash-talk the south all day, but god forbid some affluent little liberal suburb is deemed imperfect... There is life west of the Hudson, y'know.

BREAKING: Loggers Run Teacher Arrested for Sexting Teen | West Boca News
Is this justified?

West Boca High principal in plagiarism investigation could face suspension - Sun Sentinel
Or this?

But... but... but... they were EDUCATORS.

What about this senseless tragedy?
Boca teen's autopsy shows marijuana and lidocaine, but not 25i-nBOME - wptv.com

Add to that the traffic and New York transplants in shouting matches out on Glades + 441, abundance of marijuana overall, the filth that comes from Sandalfoot... and you're left with something short of Mayberry. Listen, housing is cheap and the roadways/grass are well-kept. Plenty of cute little lakes scattered all around, crime rate is not particularly high whatsoever although...
Wife of West Boca shooting victim speaks after husband was shot - Sun Sentinel
If you commute elsewhere, spend the weekends elsewhere, but settle in a relatively quiet middle-class neighborhood like Mission Bay or Boca Winds, whatever you can afford, for living purposes. Maybe associate with a neighbor or two... I wish you the best, you might enjoy whatever limited time you spend actually IN the area. I can recommend that. But if you seek to get involved in community politics, blend into the cliques of posh upper-middle class transplants, if that suits you, I have no problem with that as well. Just do not go around pretending this is the only lifestyle conceivable for anybody. Some prefer a humble, working/middle-class environment, more acreage, whatever, some seek active nightlife and a vibrant downtown (nothing to see here in that case), others want convenience and safety which West Boca can offer TO A CERTAIN EXTENT. Chain restaurants and stores, a few decent small businesses in the mix (nothing like out east though), not hell by any stretch of the means, yet far from a Mayberry unless you're fleeing Section 8 Housing in one of the sketchier wards of New Orleans or the slums of Compton... then you have a slight improvement...

Old 01-05-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You are also an adult. Try viewing the world through the eyes of a teenager...

High School sucks, other girls are mean.... EVERYONE AVOID WEST BOCA!!!!
West Boca is not Boca Raton.
I actually like the Town Center area, Boca Del Mar, East Boca, etc, etc.
I want evidence that West Boca is a Mayberry-esque paradise, that life and love cannot exist east of the Turnpike, north of Clint Moore and south of 18th and/or west of the Hudson... THEN I'll settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or