Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:56 PM

260 posts, read 321,139 times

Advertisements

I attended West Boca HS 2012-15, and was initially pleased by the amount of outgoing peers willing to enhance friendly conversation (a sharp contrast from the magnet academy I previously attended) and the overall hospitality that was unprecedented in my eyes. I slipped up a little several weeks later, went on a rant (that did not single out any particular peers) during my 6th hour and all of a sudden, many of the fake 'friends' began to gossip and alienate me as I passed.
Well, a few years of this went on and I finally graduated in June... I started to frequent local strip malls the summer before attending community college (I'm at Lynn now), local restaurants more and more... I started to notice that people (of all ages) would wink, smile at and/or wave at me more than I ever seen in any other part of the city and Tri-County region as a whole (though Loxahatchee has its friendly aspects)... which led me to believe this is a community thing... be friendly in my face, spread lies behind my back, etc, etc. I found it utterly bizarre, even more so, that I would hear rude and loud exchanges, witness locales (mostly NY/northern transplants but some lifelong Floridians as well) berate each other, store employees, when a demand is not wholly fulfilled (prescription, etc). The only place I've seen so much superficial friendliness (if not more) is the rural/exurban towns in East Texas, right outside of Houston Metro. Not sure how genuine the friendliness is, I have my suspicions, but I liked the atmosphere there far better.
West Boca High also had that recent scandal with the principal caught plagiarizing a HS Speech that took place in Massachusetts. And I hear horror stories from a family friend who teaches at an undisclosed elementary school (one of three west of the Turnpike corridor), of her (5th grade students) making obscene remarks towards peers, fellow teachers enabling this kind of talk, etc, etc.
Marijuana is abundant. We had a West Boca freshman overdose on some cannabis-esque drug laced with lord knows what else. I am not anti-marijuana (I am pro-legalization), but the culture that comes along with the drug and the precedent it might open for vulnerability to the temptation of harder drugs... that I am against.
This is all true, and truly some surreal Twin Peaks-meets-Mayberry joke of a 'suburb'. I know I am not the only one who is turned off by the bizarre atmosphere and pretentious, two-faced locales (not ALL, not ALL, but a decent population, I am more wary of those who are superficially 'friendly' than those who aren't). Granted, the worst DOES take place along the 441 corridor and to the west, but east of 441 and west of the Turnpike as a whole also carries a similar mentality. East Boca (including the Town Center area, Mizner Park, Powerline/Jog Rd corridor, etc) is a wholly different story altogether. Much better, but far from ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:17 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,607,475 times
Ah, great, please share more of your life advice, oh wise teenager.

Did you get this folks? Please avoid Boca Raton because a high schooler had some people talk behind their back at school. Noted.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:53 PM

I was referring to West Boca, not Boca Raton itself. And if you didn't read enough, my experiences stretched far beyond some harmless 'gossip' BS. I am not the only one who noticed the pretentiousness and overall hostility of many apparent 'locales' out in public here in West Boca. It is like a good old boy system. If you're like them, politically and socially, you're their kin practically. If not, you're as good as dead (though they might fake a smile in passing now and then). Traffic is pretty godawful for a suburb, especially Glades + 441, and drugs are a fairly prevalent issue among the youth (which leads to a likely factor: bad parenting?). Did I forget about the politics? Limousine liberals in gated communities, who would not dare venture out east of the Town Center for fear of running into a working-class white 'redneck' or two? (Their assumptions of the east are dead wrong). No, this is NOT an utopia, unless you ARE a pretentious upper-middle class liberal with a knack for substance abuse.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:08 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,313,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
I attended West Boca HS 2012-15, and was initially pleased by the amount of outgoing peers willing to enhance friendly conversation (a sharp contrast from the magnet academy I previously attended) and the overall hospitality that was unprecedented in my eyes. I slipped up a little several weeks later, went on a rant (that did not single out any particular peers) during my 6th hour and all of a sudden, many of the fake 'friends' began to gossip and alienate me as I passed.
Well, a few years of this went on and I finally graduated in June... I started to frequent local strip malls the summer before attending community college (I'm at Lynn now), local restaurants more and more... I started to notice that people (of all ages) would wink, smile at and/or wave at me more than I ever seen in any other part of the city and Tri-County region as a whole (though Loxahatchee has its friendly aspects)... which led me to believe this is a community thing... be friendly in my face, spread lies behind my back, etc, etc. I found it utterly bizarre, even more so, that I would hear rude and loud exchanges, witness locales (mostly NY/northern transplants but some lifelong Floridians as well) berate each other, store employees, when a demand is not wholly fulfilled (prescription, etc). The only place I've seen so much superficial friendliness (if not more) is the rural/exurban towns in East Texas, right outside of Houston Metro. Not sure how genuine the friendliness is, I have my suspicions, but I liked the atmosphere there far better.
West Boca High also had that recent scandal with the principal caught plagiarizing a HS Speech that took place in Massachusetts. And I hear horror stories from a family friend who teaches at an undisclosed elementary school (one of three west of the Turnpike corridor), of her (5th grade students) making obscene remarks towards peers, fellow teachers enabling this kind of talk, etc, etc.
Marijuana is abundant. We had a West Boca freshman overdose on some cannabis-esque drug laced with lord knows what else. I am not anti-marijuana (I am pro-legalization), but the culture that comes along with the drug and the precedent it might open for vulnerability to the temptation of harder drugs... that I am against.
This is all true, and truly some surreal Twin Peaks-meets-Mayberry joke of a 'suburb'. I know I am not the only one who is turned off by the bizarre atmosphere and pretentious, two-faced locales (not ALL, not ALL, but a decent population, I am more wary of those who are superficially 'friendly' than those who aren't). Granted, the worst DOES take place along the 441 corridor and to the west, but east of 441 and west of the Turnpike as a whole also carries a similar mentality. East Boca (including the Town Center area, Mizner Park, Powerline/Jog Rd corridor, etc) is a wholly different story altogether. Much better, but far from ideal.

All I got from this is that you ranted about your "friends" who figured out which "friends" you were talking about, so they shunned you, and you didn't learn from it.

Bye Felicia!

Old 01-04-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
All I got from this is that you ranted about your "friends" who figured out which "friends" you were talking about, so they shunned you, and you didn't learn from it.

Bye Felicia!
I am not here to judge, but the level of hostility and degenerate behavior I see/hear about here in West Boca on a day-by-day basis is staggering. This has nothing to do with my experiences in HS as much as it does with the overall grand picture. I know I will see people defending the culture of West Boca (chain restaurants/stores all over, limousine liberal mentality, good old boy system, abundant marijuana, hostile behavior, traffic, etc) but there are those who do not desire any of the above, they prefer to live in a cultured and artsy side of the city (see: the Mizner Park area/East Boca/Lake Worth) or a more rural, live-and-let-live, unpretentious, working class, safe community (see: Loxahatchee). Then there are those who DO desire the well-kept cookie-cutter gated developments, McMansions and upper-class suburban atmosphere, so there is West Boca and if they are unsatisfied, send them back to Westchestah or Long Island. Only good aspect of West Boca is the cost of living and convenience. I mean, speak of economic divide, Sandalfoot is a somewhat rundown, working-class neighborhood just a mile or two away from the upper-middle class suburbs and the latter holds utter contempt and disdain for Sandalfoot...
There is nothing 'righteous' about being a limousine liberal, which is what most (not all) West Boca residents are.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:44 PM

Also, what you'd get for $800,000 in East Boca is worth merely half the price out west. So that explains people settling here then being unsatisfied about other aspects of living (the people, mentality, traffic, drugs, etc).

Old 01-04-2016, 02:50 PM

747 posts, read 1,005,794 times
The irony is the behavior or maturity of most adults in very nice communities in FL isn't far off. In fact, in some cases, they are an insult to normal well-adjusted teenagers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Ah, great, please share more of your life advice, oh wise teenager.

Did you get this folks? Please avoid Boca Raton because a high schooler had some people talk behind their back at school. Noted.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:54 PM

14,832 posts, read 11,975,005 times
Sounds as though you need to get out of there and broaden your horizons.

FWIW, I never liked what I saw in Boca Raton either.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:57 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,607,475 times
This is fantastic. Like a Real Housewives episode.

FL_Watch, it's not that we are challenging your experience in high school, it's just that you don't actually know much about life outside of high school in West Boca. Things change drastically when you are, say, 30 years old and working/paying for a house. People you meet are different, your social circles are different. It's just, different.

So when you make sweeping statements about a rather large area, as a high school teenager, everyone just kind of chuckles. You will understand in about 5 - 10 years, look back, and laugh a little, too. It's part of growing up.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:01 PM

194 posts, read 245,091 times
I've lived in three different cities/towns and well, this doesn't sound much different than things I've experienced or heard about from other people around those places.

Secondary school is secondary school, it doesn't reflect real life, or a whole wide area/part of a city. As for the other stuff like the pot and the thing with the principal... I cannot think of any reasons why this would affect you. But then again for me, I don't really care what anyone else is doing around me so maybe it's different for you.

Honestly, with everything you just posted, I'd still rather be in West Boca than where I'm living now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach