Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 PM

9 posts, read 31,694 times

Advertisements

Can someone help me understand the layout of Boca in terms of what is considered east Boca and what is west Boca? Is it "east" and "west" of a certain road? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
I think east Boca is anything east of Millitary Trail or I-95, central Boca is anything west of Millitary Trail to the turnpike, then west of the turnpike is west Boca, and west of S.R.7 is "really" west Boca. East is the best if you like good dining, upscale, and being close to the beach, central is the best if you like plasticky new money snobs or not-that-nice retirees, and west is best if you have a family.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to determine the best area to look into moving to for myself and my family (2 young children and husband). I have heard that east boca is supposedly nicer but not sure what makes it so other than being closer to the water. From what I can see so far on various websites, it seems as though west boca has more family-oriented neighborhoods than east does. If anyone has input on this, I would be eager to know! Of course, good schools are important to me as well as areas with child-friendly activities.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:11 AM

Central Boca actually has the best schools, but I would never raise my kids around that materialistic culture (just my opinion). East and West Boca are a tossup for the schools, both decent districts, although the Olympic Heights High feeder schools to the west aren't as desirable (schools that feed into West Boca Raton High are better). I think west of 441 (S.R.7) is the most family oriented part, but the east part is kind of "nicer" and definitely more classy, but also more resort and retiree oriented, although it's increasingly becoming a haven for young professionals. Parkland to the south of west Boca is also family oriented (probably more so) and has a pleasant forest-y look, also some of the schools are better rated, but more crowded. If I were going to live that far west, I would pick Parkland over w. Boca.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-09-2008 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Compelled, thanks for the info. Would you have names of specific communities that you would recommend in west boca?

Old 02-10-2008, 07:00 AM

House4sale, that is exactly what I need! I need to know where to stay away from as well as the areas to focus on. I have been trying to get a feel of the different communities from looking at expertrealty. I like the look of mission bay and Boca Falls (although boca falls is probably out of our price range). I will check out Trends. Any other suggestions? Also, if you have a realtor that you were pleased with, I would love to get the name! Thanks for your help.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,457 times
I was looking into South West Boca also, My husband's new job is in Plantation. Can anyone tell me if it's a bad commute between the two? I have an 11 yr old son who is very into sports, specifically baseball and basketball; is West Boca a good choice for him, or should I look more into Parkland or another spot?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoFLA View Post
I was looking into South West Boca also, My husband's new job is in Plantation. Can anyone tell me if it's a bad commute between the two? I have an 11 yr old son who is very into sports, specifically baseball and basketball; is West Boca a good choice for him, or should I look more into Parkland or another spot?
Neither. If your husband works in Plantation, live in Davie immediately south and take a 5 minute commute and less crowded schools. If you are doing private schools, you could even just live in Plantation, which has some nice neighborhoods. Plenty of sports activities as well. Cooper City is another good choice for active families that's much closer than Boca. Weston is another good choice, but you might hit some stop and go traffic on I-595 and the schools are more crowded. From Boca Raton, expect a 30 to 40 minute commute to Plantation and not much of a benefit in the school or safety department.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,457 times
Thanks so much, I'll check them out. Any thoughts on Parkland?
It seems, also, that there are so many gated communities, which is foreign to us northerners. Are all the added fees worth the $$??
Thanks.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoFLA View Post
Thanks so much, I'll check them out. Any thoughts on Parkland?
It seems, also, that there are so many gated communities, which is foreign to us northerners. Are all the added fees worth the $$??
Thanks.
Davie/Cooper City actually doesn't have a lot of gated communities. A lot of the housing is even outside of subdivisions, HOA free, and more like what you are used to. Weston does have many gated communities, as does Boca and Parkland.

As far as the added fees, well, not really. A lot of non-gated and non-guarded communities in Palm Beach County (where Boca is) are starting to get heavily targeted by burglars, or at least my family members up there tell me that (and I read a story in the Sentinel about it). In Broward there aren't many "real" gated (with a guard) communities and they are mostly there for aesthetics. They don't really improve on the safety front and aren't worth it, as the safety aspect is about the same gated or non gated as long as the area is good. Not worth the $$$ unless it's a "real" gate with a guard or the area isn't that great.

In Boca, I would live in a gated community. In Parkland, I don't think it's really worth it.

Anyway, Parkland is a "park like"-looking, upper dollars kind of area with well rated, but overcrowded schools, a low crime rate, and a little bit of an equestrian scene. It's directly south of Boca, but the city itself does not have much shopping in city limits, save for groceries/etc. You mostly have to drive to Coral Springs or Boca for your shopping. It's a very idyllic little bubble, and the amazing part is that even when you drive outside of the bubble, it's still not bad. Just not as nice as Parkland. It's almost a bubble within a bubble.

It's really a nice place, but I'm just not a big fan of commuting when you don't have to. If you want family-style upscale, Weston is closer to your work and offers a similar quality of life, and the Cooper City/Davie area has less crowded/well rated schools, but more middle class than upscale.

I suggest making a new thread as to not hijack BocaBounds thread. Or if you want, you can send me a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach