Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:34 PM

55 posts, read 74,992 times

Advertisements

I'm like you young, married, with 2 toddlers and live in Central/East Boca.I use to live in East Boca and loved the neighborhood, but we needed more room and for our budget that meant moving Central. Everything you can think of you will find within a 5 mile radius (i.e. beach, mall, 3 Targets, good food). I will say food is not as great as California, but we're slowly improving. Schools are great. People aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. As for weather, I also have to agree with you and I will take humidity over dryheat any day. I personally could never live West of Powerline Rd/Jog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 05:31 PM

34 posts, read 82,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD1812 View Post
I'm like you young, married, with 2 toddlers and live in Central/East Boca.I use to live in East Boca and loved the neighborhood, but we needed more room and for our budget that meant moving Central. Everything you can think of you will find within a 5 mile radius (i.e. beach, mall, 3 Targets, good food). I will say food is not as great as California, but we're slowly improving. Schools are great. People aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. As for weather, I also have to agree with you and I will take humidity over dryheat any day. I personally could never live West of Powerline Rd/Jog.
Sounds wonderful! Are there a lot of family oriented neighborhoods in Central or East Boca? A lot of people keep saying that Boca is more like 55+ or DINKs city unless you go West.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:59 PM

55 posts, read 74,992 times
East Boca is extremely family friendly. Addition Mizner Elementary is one of the top schools in the state so the schools drives a lot of families. Look into Palm Beach Farms (pricey), Boca Square (we use to live here), Camino Gardens, Camino Lakes, Carriage Hills.

BTW I love NorCal. We were just hiking Yosemite a couple of weeks back. It's one of my favorite places.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:13 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Good: clean, overall pretty safe

Bad: the people

Old 04-13-2016, 09:18 AM

34 posts, read 82,723 times
Quote:
East Boca is extremely family friendly. Addition Mizner Elementary is one of the top schools in the state so the schools drives a lot of families. Look into Palm Beach Farms (pricey), Boca Square (we use to live here), Camino Gardens, Camino Lakes, Carriage Hills.

BTW I love NorCal. We were just hiking Yosemite a couple of weeks back. It's one of my favorite places.
Thank you for neighborhood recommendations! Its very useful. We are starting to stress a bit about it. Well, I am! My husband is totally fine and ready to move.

I absolutely love Northern California's nature. Yosemite is a gem. I will miss it big time. But we are ready to move on and settle near the warm ocean and closer to Europe We are more into ocean activities.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:08 AM

9 posts, read 9,917 times
Boca is great! It is definitely a family community. Yes, snowbirds are here, but honestly I don't mind at all. In my case, we have snowbirds as neighbors on one side and a lot in the community we live in. They are great, nice, friendly neighbors. Boca has lots of parks for the kids too and tons of family community events. I live in central boca, close to the turnpike and 95. Boca has great schools.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 PM

782 posts, read 759,678 times
Quote:
I don't agree with you on a few points, one being the food, since arriving in the San Diego area, there is somethings lacking to what you can get in Palm Beach County, good Italian, have not found it yet, Cuban Food, well of course I expected that, Greek and Mediterranean Food, very lacking. If you like Sourdough, Mexican and Asian it's a mecca, I would say I saw less Thai places so far than I saw in SoFLa, there is a lot of good Thai Places in Palm Beach County and lastly Indian Food, really dismal out here. I think overall the food diversity is better in SoFLa than here so far. Granted I have not fully explored San Diego and I did find a couple good places, Mexican is way better by leaps and bounds, which was expected.

Grocery stores are better here in terms of produce and competition, within 10 mile radius, there is Von's, Ralph's, Alberston's, Stater Brothers, Sprouts, Jimbo's, but the bakery is still not up to Publix quality, mainly the breads and a few other things that I cannot find here. We drink a tea from Japan and it's easy to buy at Whole Foods or TFM in SoFLa, but here we have not been able to find it. That alone surprises me, it cannot be ordered online either. Whole Foods is not in my area, there is one in Encinitas, but it's small store with bad parking. So we miss TFM and a few other places, no BJ's here, only Costco.

Problem with Boca is traffic, it's all residental going east to west and west to east, residental roads with stop light after stop light, during rush hour it can take you a considerable amount of time to go from FAU To SR7 and since some stores are east and some are west, things are not grouped together so it forces you to drive if you desire to go to one store than another.

I worked in Boca and drove west to east and back again, traffic flowed but it was not an enjoyable drive. Going out at lunch, met leaving early and beating the crowds and finding a parking spot, forgot running into Whole Foods off of Glades during season, was too busy. Traffic on Glades and other roads, just non-stop and you wonder where everyone is going, nobody seems to be working either. Of course that's common in SoFla were a lot of people dont' work, not just old people but people of the normal working age.

People are much more laid back here, in Boca people are generally tightly wound and overly competitive, mainly when driving on the roads and also at work, all the places I worked there was a overly competitive vibe to throw people under the bus and brown nose your way into the upper echelons of management for personal gains. Genuine down to earth people are rare, I worked with so many Pinocchio's and people who over-inflated themselves and had such low self-esteem it was mind numbing.

There is a lot of wealth which instills a certain vibe or aura around people, when they drive or when they are in public. If you like some New Yorkers, loud and obnoxious that's SoFla here people tend to be more quiet in public, more Live and Let Live, less size you up by what you drive or the way you dress. Not talking the OC either. I do not despise all New Yorkers, much of what I love comes from NY, good food, pizza and bagels, another thing that California cannot produce, good bagels, not an issue in SoFla.

I never minded the weather in SoFla, nor do I mind the weather here.

SoFla is a great place to live if you can stomach the negatives, which are many and the big one is having a great paying job or opportunity, for many that is not the case.

Last edited by aewan68; 04-19-2016 at 10:49 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
The only time I've ever felt annoyed by people in Boca was at Mizner Park. There were a bunch of super-blinged out obnoxious older ladies with their gold jewelry-laden hen-pecked husbands . Gaudy, loud and yucky.

Otherwise I think Boca's pretty great.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:15 AM

20 posts, read 31,373 times
I lived in Boca Raton for 19 years. It is a great place to live. They have one of the highest rated schools in Palm Beach County including many magnet and charter schools. There is a lot of culture, great restaurants and beautiful beaches. As for home prices, they are higher in Boca than the surrounding areas, but probably a lot less than you are used to in CA. East Boca is generally more expensive then West Boca. West Boca is more "Family Oriented" with lot's of subdivisions. There are also some very nice areas in the surrounding towns. I am originally from New York but have lived in Florida for 22 years. I also have family in Sacramento, CA. There is no place like Boca Raton or the surrounding areas. As for the temperature, it is hot in the summer months, but your body does adjust to it. Now when it is 70 Degrees, I am cold. LOL. I would never want to live anywhere else but Palm Beach County.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:36 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homes By Madelyn View Post
I lived in Boca Raton for 19 years. It is a great place to live. They have one of the highest rated schools in Palm Beach County including many magnet and charter schools. There is a lot of culture, great restaurants and beautiful beaches. As for home prices, they are higher in Boca than the surrounding areas, but probably a lot less than you are used to in CA. East Boca is generally more expensive then West Boca. West Boca is more "Family Oriented" with lot's of subdivisions. There are also some very nice areas in the surrounding towns. I am originally from New York but have lived in Florida for 22 years. I also have family in Sacramento, CA. There is no place like Boca Raton or the surrounding areas. As for the temperature, it is hot in the summer months, but your body does adjust to it. Now when it is 70 Degrees, I am cold. LOL. I would never want to live anywhere else but Palm Beach County.
Sure, but you have to admit, you're not trying to sell Orlando. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach