Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 03:16 PM

16 posts, read 25,590 times

Advertisements

My family (self, wife and 11 yr old) is looking at moving from Orlando to SoFL and as we are looking online at homes, the one thing that sticks out are the significant HOA fees.

Where we currently live we pay $250/qtr, but see some fees for SF homes in the area as high as $600/month! Are there traditional self-paid items included in that fee such as basic cable, lawn service, fertilizing, etc? It seems like a lot if it is just common area upkeep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 03:23 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,363,871 times
It really depends. Some HOA's include water, sewer, garbage, basic cable, exterior insurance (for a condo or townhouse, not sure about single family). Then you have the maintenance for the pool and any other amenities such as tennis courts, gym and landscaping. It does add up but $600 seems quite high to me. I'm in Fort Myers and one of our nicest communities which is mixed villas and single family homes is $450 a month and that community has been rated best in SW Florida 8 years in a row.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:28 PM

Thanks.

Surprised to potentially see sewer and garbage in HOA fees, I thought those were paid as part of property taxes.

Could that $600 include dues for mandatory social or golf membership - the community did have a golf course.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:36 PM

2,954 posts, read 2,351,261 times
Every community is different and the relative value depends greatly on the community size and amenities offered. You have to look at them individually. Some can be great deals, some can be very bad deals with everything in between.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:24 PM

499 posts, read 588,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
It really depends. Some HOA's include water, sewer, garbage, basic cable, exterior insurance (for a condo or townhouse, not sure about single family). Then you have the maintenance for the pool and any other amenities such as tennis courts, gym and landscaping. It does add up but $600 seems quite high to me. I'm in Fort Myers and one of our nicest communities which is mixed villas and single family homes is $450 a month and that community has been rated best in SW Florida 8 years in a row.
Agreed ^^^^ it really depends on what's offered. Also, it seems like most things cost more in South Florida vs the rest of the state. We rent in Wellington area and the landlord pays our HOA fees - which I believe are ~ $500/month. The HOA includes all of the above plus lawn care, landscaping (tree trimming, hedge trimming, etc), cable (with all HBO channels and Showtime channels included), internet, security system, and meticulous upkeep of grounds and amenities (pools, playgrounds, clubhouse, tennis courts, basketball, volleyball, gym, etc). The fact that our HOA includes cable, internet, security system/ alarm monitoring and lawn care/landscaping is worth probably $200 - 250/month (I'm guessing $100/mo lawn care, $100 month cable, can't remember what the alarm monitoring cost ). On the flip side, you don't get to pick your internet provider/alarm company or decide you want to mow your own lawn...

Old 05-02-2016, 06:46 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,646,262 times
$650/mo is a LOT for a single family home. In high end communities, $400/mo is not unheard of, but that's for $1M - $2M houses. In more "normal" communities, even $100/mo would be high. I would expect, for $650/mo, a LOT of amenities, including country club. I lived in a very nice non-gated community with courts, parks, great landscaping, and it was $45/mo.

As FromCTtoFL pointed out, some HOA's may be high but they offer a LOT. It should be easy to do the math and see what you are getting and determine if that community is worth it for you. If HOA fees are high and you get nothing, go somewhere else. But almost always, the fees are justified with amenities.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,406,537 times
$600+ a month sounds like you are looking at homes in a country club community, and that doesn't include the golf/club fees on top of that.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:26 AM

Yes we are. That is what we were seeing in places like Boca Grove, St. Andrews and Broken Sound.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:22 AM

293 posts, read 501,644 times
It is rare you see $600 per month. I own a bunch of homes and none are that high. The hugest in Wellington area I am aware of is Versailles . They charge I believe $420 a month. They include lawn care and internet I believe though .

sometimes listings show $600 per month but are not accurate, could be $600 per quarter. what community is it and I can tell you the accurate number

I do not know of any HOA for single family homes that includes water and sewer . water and sewer is common in condo hoa not single family.

Gated communities with a guard are higher than non gated communities, also if there is a community pool, and clubhouse etc. But on average HOA fees are generally $150 to $250 per month

The accurate prices for services added are as follows:

Lawn Care = $75 per month
Cable TV $60 per month
Internet $40 per month
Alarm Monitoring = $30 per month

so the above is what you can figure you are getting value wise if any of those are included

now all those communities you are naming are country club communities and all will require an equity membership. Those type of communities will have high hoa fees . However you can usually buy homes cheaper in those type of communities because the homes are hard to sell and the vast majority of people avoid communities with equity and membership fees

Old 05-04-2016, 11:53 AM

499 posts, read 588,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVG_Steve View Post
It is rare you see $600 per month. I own a bunch of homes and none are that high. The hugest in Wellington area I am aware of is Versailles . They charge I believe $420 a month. They include lawn care and internet I believe though .

sometimes listings show $600 per month but are not accurate, could be $600 per quarter. what community is it and I can tell you the accurate number

I do not know of any HOA for single family homes that includes water and sewer . water and sewer is common in condo hoa not single family.

Gated communities with a guard are higher than non gated communities, also if there is a community pool, and clubhouse etc. But on average HOA fees are generally $150 to $250 per month

The accurate prices for services added are as follows:

Lawn Care = $75 per month
Cable TV $60 per month
Internet $40 per month
Alarm Monitoring = $30 per month

so the above is what you can figure you are getting value wise if any of those are included

now all those communities you are naming are country club communities and all will require an equity membership. Those type of communities will have high hoa fees . However you can usually buy homes cheaper in those type of communities because the homes are hard to sell and the vast majority of people avoid communities with equity and membership fees
Good! I was right - You're "accurate prices" add up to $205/month and I estimated 200-250/month. Not bad for a guesstimate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach