Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2016, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 6,144 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are expecting our first child and are thinking of a possible transition to Jupiter, Fl.

Life is awesome here in Dallas, TX but I made a promise to my self long ago that if I ever brought a child into the world I would give it everything I never had. And when I seen jupiter I was pretty much mind blown. Doesn't get any closer to tropical living then that. Being from the Caribbean (Puerto Rico) I love the blue ocean, palm trees and scenery. So when I seen Jupiter, fl it opened my eyes to the possibilities.

My wife is a Dance Educator with a bachelors from one of the top college in NYC. She is a bit worried about opportunities in her field (the arts and education) primarily dance.

Diversity is a huge factor for us – being in NYC we are use to the diversity and even here in Dallas it’s pretty diverse. However when we pulled up some recent census records we found that Jupiter had close to 85% White population? census shows hardly any latinos or African americans or other. I’m hoping someone can clear this up for us?

Also is Jupiter a family town or more of a vacation type of town?

Does jupiter host family events locally live performances, kids events etc?

Looking into a possible Apt to start off any advise on areas?

I’m an entrepreneur what are business opportunities like?

Thanks everyone! any advise is helpful.

Thanks,
Guillermo-

Last edited by gmata2101; 10-18-2016 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 7,022 times
I recently relocated to Jupiter for a job a FAU. I'll answer the best i can, hopefully someone else can add some useful information for you.

My wife is a Dance Educator with a bachelors from one of the top college in NYC. She is a bit worried about opportunities in her field (the arts and education) primarily dance. There are theaters and dance studios in Jupiter and Palm Beach County. I am not sure what the job market is like, but most likely it's not what you would find in a city like Dallas.

Diversity is a huge factor for us – being in NYC we are use to the diversity and even here in Dallas it’s pretty diverse. However when we pulled up some recent census records we found that Jupiter had close to 85% White population? census shows hardly any latinos or African americans or other. I’m hoping someone can clear this up for us? Jupiter is a community of 60,000 on the northern end of Palm Beach County. The census is the census, that's the data. Overall Palm Beach County might be a little more diverse than Jupiter and you could find more diverse neighborhoods or towns than Jupiter, but you aren't going to find the diversity like NYC or Dallas or any other big city.

Also is Jupiter a family town or more of a vacation type of town? We have a 9 year old son, our life is filled with school activities, sports, and scouts. All families. Of course, the region is known for retirees and vacationing, but we feel we are part of a community with lots of family activities.

Does jupiter host family events locally live performances, kids events etc? yes, Carlin Park, Maltz Theater, plenty of events in West Palm beach for kids, the Zoo, Science Center, etc

Looking into a possible Apt to start off any advise on areas? for Jupiter, Barcelona, Floresta, and Sophia are nice complexes.

I’m an entrepreneur what are business opportunities like? Sorry, I don't know any about the business climate here.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiorgos28 View Post
I recently relocated to Jupiter for a job a FAU. I'll answer the best i can, hopefully someone else can add some useful information for you.

My wife is a Dance Educator with a bachelors from one of the top college in NYC. She is a bit worried about opportunities in her field (the arts and education) primarily dance. There are theaters and dance studios in Jupiter and Palm Beach County. I am not sure what the job market is like, but most likely it's not what you would find in a city like Dallas.

Diversity is a huge factor for us – being in NYC we are use to the diversity and even here in Dallas it’s pretty diverse. However when we pulled up some recent census records we found that Jupiter had close to 85% White population? census shows hardly any latinos or African americans or other. I’m hoping someone can clear this up for us? Jupiter is a community of 60,000 on the northern end of Palm Beach County. The census is the census, that's the data. Overall Palm Beach County might be a little more diverse than Jupiter and you could find more diverse neighborhoods or towns than Jupiter, but you aren't going to find the diversity like NYC or Dallas or any other big city.

Also is Jupiter a family town or more of a vacation type of town? We have a 9 year old son, our life is filled with school activities, sports, and scouts. All families. Of course, the region is known for retirees and vacationing, but we feel we are part of a community with lots of family activities.

Does jupiter host family events locally live performances, kids events etc? yes, Carlin Park, Maltz Theater, plenty of events in West Palm beach for kids, the Zoo, Science Center, etc

Looking into a possible Apt to start off any advise on areas? for Jupiter, Barcelona, Floresta, and Sophia are nice complexes.

I’m an entrepreneur what are business opportunities like? Sorry, I don't know any about the business climate here.

Thanks for the overview we greatly appreciate it. We are still doing our home work here but this does givw us some insight for sure.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:31 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,784 times
You may want to consider Sarasota area on the west coast. Beaches, blue water and palm trees. Sarasota is known for supporting the arts. The minus for you would be lack of diversity and retiree population.

Tampa area might be a consideration as well. Although not on the coast, consider Orlando too. It has lots of artists/dancers/performers because of the theme parks... work for your wife. Also VERY large and growing Puerto Rican community

Last edited by jwolfer; 10-27-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 11-02-2016, 02:08 PM

157 posts, read 284,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmata2101 View Post
Diversity is a huge factor for us – being in NYC we are use to the diversity and even here in Dallas it’s pretty diverse. However when we pulled up some recent census records we found that Jupiter had close to 85% White population? census shows hardly any latinos or African americans or other. I’m hoping someone can clear this up for us?
It's a small town compared to Dallas or NYC. It also has a low crime rate, partly because of the demographics you mentioned. There are more diverse neighborhoods near Jupiter such as Riviera Beach. If all you're after is diversity, I would suggest looking there but I don't think you will be happy with the crime stats or quality of life. You could also check out Miami, but it goes without saying that most large, diverse cities have high crime rates compared to places like Jupiter.

I would characterize Jupiter as a family town with some good schools, access to decent dining and shopping in Palm Beach Gardens. In many neighborhoods home prices are up 40% over the last 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach