Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 04:36 PM

134 posts, read 191,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Boca Bath and Tennis on Military Trail and Royal Palm Yacht and Country Club.

Boca is very Jewish:

Wikipedia comparison of surrounding cities:
Fort Lauderdale, Florida: 24,377 Jews live in Fort. Lauderdale.
Pembroke Pines, Florida: approximately 19,988 Jews live in Pembroke Pines.
Weston, Florida: approximately 18,000 Jews live in Weston.
Plantation, Florida approximately 11,275 Jews live in Plantation.
Davie, Florida approximately 11,228 Jews live in Davie.
South Palm Beach Metropolitan Area, Florida: approximately 122,000 Jews live in all of South Palm Beach (Boca Raton and Delray Beach).
Boca Raton, Florida: Approximately 64,660 Jews live in Boca Raton.
Delray Beach, Florida: Approximately 57,340 Jews live in Delray Beach.
West Palm Beach Metropolitan Area, Florida: approximately 94,000 Jews live in West Palm Beach (Palm Beach County from Boynton Beach to Jupiter).
Miami Metropolitan Area, Florida: approximately 123,000 Jews live in Miami, an increase from 113,000 in 2004.
Miami Beach, Florida: Approximately 15,000 Jews live in Miami Beach.
Aventura, Florida
Tampa Bay Area, Florida: approximately 60,000 Jews live in the Tampa Bay area.
That's a lot better than living around the redneck hillbillies I have to deal with here in Ormond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 06:14 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangolufsen View Post
It's cheaper because more Jews live there? Take your anti-semetic comment and shove it. That's a very dis-respectful comment and it happens to be wrong.
Actually you are 100% incorrect but it was a nice leap! The OP was asking about kid friendly areas, specifically for Catholics. Stonebridge is not either of those.

Stonebridge was built off 441 in the 80s when Thomas produce farm land was across the street, it was undesirable real estate with a below average golf course. The place never was a success but attracted a lot of NY/NJ residents who happened to be Jewish. I have spent years at Stonebridge and it literally is 95% Jewish, it is a fact, not slanderous. JCC has many fundraising events out there due to the residents.

The real estate is still undesirable, nobody puts big money in their homes whereas other clubs (St Andrews/Woodfield) are constantly improved and the real estate is routinely bulldozed and rebuilt with newer fancier homes. St A and WF have significant amounts of Jewish residents also yet the real estate is can be priced in the 1-10 million dollar range. Stonebridge struggles to get passed 500K. The death knell to real estate values was when the club forced mandatory membership about 20 years back. Just like Boca Greens, Boca Woods and Boca West once the mandatory membership hit, the real estate simply was forced to be discounted due to the 60-100K forced club membership.

BG/BW/BWest are significantly better positioned for shopping/schools etc. Stonebridge is literally in the back NW corner of Boca Raton and no where near the city limits.

Here is a great example of Stonebridge's poor resale values:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...8_M61224-60497

It has been for sale for 4 months at 179,900 (3/2 2500 sq ft).
House sold NEW in 1987......30 years ago for 223,300!
MAY-1987 $223,300

If it sells at asking price......they lose 25% of what they paid 30 years ago (5% real estate commission). Losing money after 30 years is unheard of in S. Florida real estate folks!

Last edited by City Guy997S; 08-27-2017 at 06:24 PM..

Old 08-28-2017, 03:48 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I lived in Boca West and when I first moved to Boca stayed in Woodfield. My family has had 3 different homes in Woodfield. When I lived in BW I lived in a few different communities. Anyhow both places are very Jewish. I'm not saying there are not other religions but you will really notice how many Jewish people there are. Personally I think Central Boca may have a higher percentage then other parts. I have been to St Andrews and it seemed very Jewish too.
In Woodfield homes seem to sell quick. My grandfathers last home sold in a few weeks. In BW the condos especially seem to be in the market for so long and there are many for sale. Woodfield has a lot of families but BW is mostly older and snowbirds.
On a side note you mentioned Boca being diverse and I think it is the opposite. Those two communities are not diverse at all. The demographic statistics do they consider the snowbirds cause I didn't think so?
I'm at not religious and am half Jewish but my family in Boca is Jewish. Like many there though aren't religious. I don't know how many go to Temple on a regular basis other then on holidays if even then. I don't know how religious you are because I could care less what the religion is of my neighbors.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:43 AM

242 posts, read 360,604 times
Quote:
Actually you are 100% incorrect but it was a nice leap! The OP was asking about kid friendly areas, specifically for Catholics. Stonebridge is not either of those.

Stonebridge was built off 441 in the 80s when Thomas produce farm land was across the street, it was undesirable real estate with a below average golf course. The place never was a success but attracted a lot of NY/NJ residents who happened to be Jewish. I have spent years at Stonebridge and it literally is 95% Jewish, it is a fact, not slanderous. JCC has many fundraising events out there due to the residents.

The real estate is still undesirable, nobody puts big money in their homes whereas other clubs (St Andrews/Woodfield) are constantly improved and the real estate is routinely bulldozed and rebuilt with newer fancier homes. St A and WF have significant amounts of Jewish residents also yet the real estate is can be priced in the 1-10 million dollar range. Stonebridge struggles to get passed 500K. The death knell to real estate values was when the club forced mandatory membership about 20 years back. Just like Boca Greens, Boca Woods and Boca West once the mandatory membership hit, the real estate simply was forced to be discounted due to the 60-100K forced club membership.

BG/BW/BWest are significantly better positioned for shopping/schools etc. Stonebridge is literally in the back NW corner of Boca Raton and no where near the city limits.

Here is a great example of Stonebridge's poor resale values:
10256 Spyglass Way, Boca Raton, FL 33498 - realtor.com®

It has been for sale for 4 months at 179,900 (3/2 2500 sq ft).
House sold NEW in 1987......30 years ago for 223,300!
MAY-1987 $223,300

If it sells at asking price......they lose 25% of what they paid 30 years ago (5% real estate commission). Losing money after 30 years is unheard of in S. Florida real estate folks!

I really don't care what the homes sold 30 years ago. From what I can see a lot people are underwater in Florida. West of the Turnpike looks attractive to me. What matters to me is Does the Area have good schools the prices are good and the area has low crime. It also helps to know I have all my services there.

From what I can understand a lot retiree's retired there and now there old so 30 years later we are seeing a ton of people in Boca who need to sell. To me it sounds like Boca is a great place to move to and I am not hearing any real downsides.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:04 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco19542 View Post
What areas of boca raton will Catholics be welcome in my thought was boca raton was prett diverse.
Unless you, personally, are antiSemitic, I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody cares what religion you are, from what I can tell. Never comes up in conversation and does not see to be a 'thing.' The people I work with are all different religions and nobody cares.

Though people practice religions, Boca is a pretty secular place. As an atheist, I'm pretty comfortable here, and I cannot say that about all of Florida. West Delray Beach is also pretty sparse, but developing quickly--you can get great deals on homes now--it's not any particular religion that I can discern, but for families, schools are better in Boca.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:13 PM

242 posts, read 360,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Unless you, personally, are antiSemitic, I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody cares what religion you are, from what I can tell. Never comes up in conversation and does not see to be a 'thing.' The people I work with are all different religions and nobody cares.

Though people practice religions, Boca is a pretty secular place. As an atheist, I'm pretty comfortable here, and I cannot say that about all of Florida. West Delray Beach is also pretty sparse, but developing quickly--you can get great deals on homes now--it's not any particular religion that I can discern, but for families, schools are better in Boca.
Thanks That is good to know I figured it was not like some places I have been. If it diverse then it should be fine. I just don't want everyone to invite me to there church or synagogue or tell me I can't put up christmas lights.

There looks like there are a lot good prices in the area for sure.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:04 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisco19542 View Post
I really don't care what the homes sold 30 years ago. From what I can see a lot people are underwater in Florida. West of the Turnpike looks attractive to me. What matters to me is Does the Area have good schools the prices are good and the area has low crime. It also helps to know I have all my services there.

From what I can understand a lot retiree's retired there and now there old so 30 years later we are seeing a ton of people in Boca who need to sell. To me it sounds like Boca is a great place to move to and I am not hearing any real downsides.
Your reasoning is non sequitur, real estate generally goes up in value over long periods of time so it should be concerning to you if an area is "flat" or even depreciates! The good real estate in Boca Raton is east!

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...36_rect/16_zm/

Here is an example, this 3/2 house is listed for 697K......Note it sold in 1989 for 157K and is now asking over 4X that amount vs. the out west house losing 25% of its value over the last 30 years.
Sale History:
NOV-2003 $276,000
DEC-1992 $151,500
MAR-1989 $157,000

Old 08-30-2017, 10:33 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
OP I feel like you haven't spent much time in Boca. There is a huge percent of snowbirds still. Some communities like Boca West I think about half are. Now Woodfield is more year round residents. In the winter restaurants are very busy often with a wait and summers are often empty. I'm not sure where you are living now but you will notice that the population is older especially in the winter. It may have gotten younger from 20 years ago but still especially in the winter is older. I don't think when they poll residents demographics it takes into account the snow birds which I would say majority are Jewish and seniors.
Also I agree with Cityguy why would you want to buy a home that has continued to go down in value in a subdivision that has a huge amount of homes for sale. If you decide to sell in the future it will be a real issue.
Personally I would spend a few weeks in the winter and a few weeks in the summer in Boca to see how you like it there.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:24 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,942 times
I agree with you, Bangolufsen.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:36 PM

387 posts, read 515,705 times
Quote:
Boca Bath and Tennis on Military Trail and Royal Palm Yacht and Country Club.

Boca is very Jewish:

Wikipedia comparison of surrounding cities:
Fort Lauderdale, Florida: 24,377 Jews live in Fort. Lauderdale.
Pembroke Pines, Florida: approximately 19,988 Jews live in Pembroke Pines.
Weston, Florida: approximately 18,000 Jews live in Weston.
Plantation, Florida approximately 11,275 Jews live in Plantation.
Davie, Florida approximately 11,228 Jews live in Davie.
South Palm Beach Metropolitan Area, Florida: approximately 122,000 Jews live in all of South Palm Beach (Boca Raton and Delray Beach).
Boca Raton, Florida: Approximately 64,660 Jews live in Boca Raton.
Delray Beach, Florida: Approximately 57,340 Jews live in Delray Beach.
West Palm Beach Metropolitan Area, Florida: approximately 94,000 Jews live in West Palm Beach (Palm Beach County from Boynton Beach to Jupiter).
Miami Metropolitan Area, Florida: approximately 123,000 Jews live in Miami, an increase from 113,000 in 2004.
Miami Beach, Florida: Approximately 15,000 Jews live in Miami Beach.
Aventura, Florida
Tampa Bay Area, Florida: approximately 60,000 Jews live in the Tampa Bay area.
Really, Boca Raton has a population of 80,000 approximately, yet your stats say 64,660 are Jewish? Wikipedia is not a great source for accurate stats. Not trying to be difficult but that number sounds hard to believe. Just curious if that is remotely accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach