Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,799 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. My daughter is transferring to the 2nd grade gifted program at del prado in the fall. I was wondering if there is a summer reading list offered for the kids? I sort of feel left to fend for my own since we are transferring schools and we missed the group tours where I would have asked my questions...I didn't realize they were only up to a certain date. The best they could tell me was to call back in august to see when open house is and they do tours then.

So in the meantime, so I can feel like my daughter will sort of be on the same page as the current 2nd graders, I was wondering if there was a 2nd grade summer reading list, or even the previous years books.

Again, thanks so much to anyone who can help! I'm just trying to get a head start so she won't be behind.

mdoll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:48 AM

593 posts, read 1,916,051 times
Hey, I am not in the know on this but just wanted to say I am also parenting a kid going into second grade gifted and I feel your pain at trying to get information now. I didn't know he was going to test so high!

I'll be watching this thread hoping someone answers you who knows.

I'm very curious about anything about local gifted programs. I have given my landlord notice because we are not in a good school district for a second grade highly gifted kid (pompano elementary) and looking in del prado, addison mizner, and palm beach public school districts. if i could get a read on which school is best, i would be able to concentrate my efforts more.

the school board memeber i talked said to be sure i talk to the schools about their approach to "highly gifted" kids. i can't even get anyone at addison mizner to answer the phone! at del prado they don't know anythign about gifted programs in the office.

there needs to be greater communication for parents trying to make decisions for their kids in the summertime. i am a teacher too, and enjoy my time off, but how hard would it be to make a handout to leave in the office? if the money for copies is the issue, they might consider selling them. i would pay $20 for a folder of info no problem!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,600 times
I wish you both the best! I will be entering the teaching profession in the next 1-2 years and anticipate ultimately working with 2-5th grade gifted students, as I was so fortunate to be a part of a fantastic GT program when I was growing up (in Indiana). I am working on my degree through FAU and was searching for 2nd grade reading lists online so I could get a head start on what to expect when I enter the school system as a first year teacher. Again, best luck to both of you, bocamom and mdoll!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach