Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 12:09 PM

18 posts, read 20,153 times

Advertisements

Excellent! I'll be checking out all of those areas when I come for a visit in May. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 12:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbtraveller View Post
Excellent! I'll be checking out all of those areas when I come for a visit in May. Thanks for the info!
I think you will find there are a lot of like-minded people here. My spouse is a Brit, so we actually do have a small circle of British friends--it is not London, but fun people.

In addition, I think you will definitely find well-traveled, intelligent and sophisticated people to socialize with. And if you get homesick for British food, there is a great British food store, along with a few pubs around. Some are even slightly authentic.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:28 PM

8 posts, read 7,268 times
Consider the Flamingo Park and Grandview Heights neighborhoods of downtown West Palm Beach.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:28 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,824,588 times
Quote:
Thanks again for your response. Budget isn't a very important factor for me, fortunately. It's MUCH more about being around like-minded people (actually... it's ALL about that!) The only reason I brought up London is to give people an idea of what I'm used to. Now, I'm not an idiot... I don't expect southern Florida to be like London at all... I'm just trying to make the point that I'm used to living in a place that is very metropolitan, has well-travelled, open-minded people (generally speaking, obviously)... people who are educated... people who are cultured... people who are liberal.... I'm quite aware that the majority of Florida doesn't exactly fit into that category, which is exactly why I created this thread... to find out which pockets of southern Florida might have at least SOME of that. My only concern with the smaller areas is that I'm still single, and I feel like, if I move into a small town, I'll be writing my death warrant there! :-D But hey... I'm certainly open to suggestions! So if you have other ideas of parts of Florida along the coast that you think I should be considering, I'd love to hear about them! BIG point though.... they have to be LIBERAL. ;-) Thanks again!!

Boca is about the least open minded place. The people are very judgmental and set in their ways. Are generally not open to different things or different kinds of people.

Someone mentioned large age differences in dating but I didn't notice much of that. There is always going to be a few when your wealthy but in general for ex in the country clubs in Boca you see couples who are around the same age or maybe 10 year difference

People in Boca are not very friendly. I have lived in a lot of places some wealthier then Boca so its not just about money but people have a very entitled rude attitude in Boca.

Central and West Boca would probably be too boring for you. Jupiter mentioned I think would be even more so.

On a side note my neighbors who bought a retirement place in Boca were from London. They seemed to like Boca but only were there during vacation time which is much different then year round. That brings me to the weather which is very humid and hot 9 months of the year which will be a major change from London.

I don't want to sound negative about Boca because I know some like it but its not everyone. In general FL is a place people either love or hate with little in between

Old 02-28-2019, 04:23 PM

603 posts, read 442,016 times
Quote:
Thanks again, Taksan! Sadly, according to City-Data, the average of Palm Beach Island is 68.5 and that's a deal-breaker right there. Socially liberal is most important to me, rather than politically (although you may be shocked to know that, again, according to City-Data, Boca Raton voted almost 60% Democrat in the last election. ;-) I'm definitely considering Miami Beach, as well as Delray, Gulfstream and West Palm Beach (basically I'm looking at every city along the coast between Palm Beach at the northern end, down to Miami Beach at the southern end), so we'll see... I have a trip planned in May to scout around a bit, but obviously, narrowing it down a bit before I go will save a lot of time. Thanks again for the info!
The people you’re talking about didn’t vote Democrat.... trust me and those 68 yo’s ...They aren’t single.... there is actually quite a big singles scene for people our age I honestly don’t think you will have too many issues meeting some amazing people. I found myself tragically single again at 51 and now I’ve been married for 2 years to a wonderful girl I met at the Gulfstream school car park of all places . I love PB island ... was born there actually and have lived there on and off for many decades but we did move to Naples because we felt that PB had lost it’s small town feel and President Trump has unfortunately caused traffic chaos during his visits. Also I think that WPB and the whole Miami metro had really eaten the old school aspects of what made PB different it’s all one huge metro area now much like London stretches across 6 counties now. But I still have retained my property there. If I had to bet where you would fit in best it would be Delray... but don’t buy beachside Delray ... go a mile north to Gulfstream... it’s got something.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:12 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Check out a condo complex, in a great Ft Lauderdale location called River Reach.
I have a few friends/acquaintances that have lived there for years... might be a good fit for you.
(There's a real sense of community there, and again, the locations is wonderful, people age appropriate, on it's own island surrounded by boats, great security...beautiful property.)

Old 03-02-2019, 02:15 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
I know Florida very very well. I've lived in Boca Raton, Bradenton, Sarasota, Venice, Tampa, & St. Petersburgh. I've had prolonged stays in Panama City Beach, and Vero Beach. I've been nearly everywhere else in Florida.

I think you are on the right track with Boca, or just North of Boca. I'd stay near the Mizner Center or North of there. There are new condo's at the Mizner Center. Mizner Center is a street with shops and restaurants along it, and on the streets nearby. There's a movie Theatre too. It's the pulse of Boca Raton. I'd love to live walking distance to Mizner.

When you come down in May, also go checkout the downtown strip in Delray Beach at night along East Atlantic Avenue. In May, it's not real busy due to the snowbirds being gone, but IMHO its the best nightspot to be in Florida for people our age. I'm your age, and if I were Single, I'd live walking distance to Atlantic Ave in Delray Beach. Mizner in Boca 2nd choice.
There's a large Tennis & Pickle ball center along East Atlantic Ave. too if you are in to that. Great way to meet people. This area used to be Debbie Wasserman-Schultz's district if I'm not mistaking, and she is a very Liberal Congresswomen. Delray Beach's beach is quite nice too.

When I was Single, I'd go out 5 times/wk because I hated sitting at home alone. I wish I had places like the Mizner Center and East Atlantic Ave to go out to. Every time I visit Boca Raton to see my best friend, we go to both places every night I'm there.

Jupiter doesnt have a town center like Delray and Boca do. Its more conservative too. My Sister-In-Law lives in Jonathon's Landing, so I know Jupiter well. It's not for you.

Stick with your gut. Boca Raton near Mizner (no further South), all the way up to ~5 miles North of Atlantic Ave in Delray. Stay as close to the Atlantic Ocean as possible. East of US1 if possible.

Forgot..when you go in May, stay at the old historic Hotel right along East Atlantic Ave. They play live Jazz each evening. Here's a link to it: http://thecolonyhotel.com

Old 03-23-2019, 02:53 PM

18 posts, read 20,611 times
You would want Miami for it's amazing diversity, lovely people and things to do for singles in your peer group, younger or older.
Miami feels like it's in another country. The cafes, people watching etc. are more European than American.
You will always meet people. They will see you and be curious to know you. It's wonderful!
As someone said, you will not be single for long. After all, it's the tropics! It doesn't get anymore romantic than that...every day.
There will be many suitors to choose from! Have fun, don't rush!
Boca is conservative and very attached to all things Boca. It is a little tacky for sure. I wouldn't feel you would get the educated and open minded vibe there.
Delray as well and the further north you go the slower and less "European" educated, openminded you will get.
There are some nice areas in Broward, Deerfield and Lauderdale by the Sea but too congested and mostly Italian/Americans from NJ/NY/Philly. Can be redundant.
I prefer a European/Tropical Island vibe!
If you can afford it, Miami is the place to check out!
All the best.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:53 PM

Thank you so much for the response, Kelly! I've heard that from several people now, so I've switched my search to the area around Coconut Grove for now, and you're right... it is seeming much more "me". Looking forward to my trip in May to check out ALL the recommended areas though... I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Old 03-23-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
The people you’re talking about didn’t vote Democrat.... trust me and those 68 yo’s ...They aren’t single.... there is actually quite a big singles scene for people our age I honestly don’t think you will have too many issues meeting some amazing people. I found myself tragically single again at 51 and now I’ve been married for 2 years to a wonderful girl I met at the Gulfstream school car park of all places . I love PB island ... was born there actually and have lived there on and off for many decades but we did move to Naples because we felt that PB had lost it’s small town feel and President Trump has unfortunately caused traffic chaos during his visits. Also I think that WPB and the whole Miami metro had really eaten the old school aspects of what made PB different it’s all one huge metro area now much like London stretches across 6 counties now. But I still have retained my property there. If I had to bet where you would fit in best it would be Delray... but don’t buy beachside Delray ... go a mile north to Gulfstream... it’s got something.
Thanks again for your input, Taksan. I really do appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach