U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM

44 posts, read 150,076 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I like Delray Beach a lot but I am getting the impression this is more of a retirement community (correct me if I'm wrong!)

I am looking for a beach town that has more artsy, creative, liberal-minded types and familes. Funky cafes, museums, mom & pop places...and some familes as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 10:53 AM

439 posts, read 1,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappergirl View Post
Hi all,

I like Delray Beach a lot but I am getting the impression this is more of a retirement community (correct me if I'm wrong!)

I am looking for a beach town that has more artsy, creative, liberal-minded types and familes. Funky cafes, museums, mom & pop places...and some familes as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
West Delray: retirement community
East Delray (specifically around downtown): what you're looking for

Old 04-10-2008, 11:13 AM

845 posts, read 2,653,302 times
East Delray is good and you should look into Hollywood which is just south of Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:23 PM

thanks guys.
how would you describe Hollywood? And how would you describe it in comparison to Delray? Artsy and charm without snobbery is just what I want--that is, that the actual artists (and their families) live there, not just the people who will buy the paintings, recordings or tickets!
Thanks again!

Old 04-10-2008, 01:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 29,697,074 times
Hollywood (I think the suggestion was of the Young's Circle/Downtown area) has no snobbery at all. It's kind of gritty and rough actually, weird is the right word. Right now it's more of a work in progress than anything, although in many ways it looks promising. It's safer than Delray but not by far, although the perception of safety in Delray is higher because it has that pretty Palm Beach County look to it. Hollywood has an all around rough edge and tends to be working class (although does not sink down to the extremes of Delray), and it has a crowded look.

Hollywood is really trying with downtown though. I have a friend that lives there and he claims that he gets urges to just sit down and sketch. They have an arts center that usually has some cool exhibits, they have some good restaurants and a few interesting shops but vacancy there right now is kind of high. They just redid the park in the middle of Young's Circle. It's really a nice artsy little oasis. A few years ago you went there if you liked armed robbery, so it's a huge improvement. It's charming looking and the city gave it the right tools to succeed, but now they need the people. They just proposed a development called "Art's Park Village" that they are hoping will finally bring a surge of pedestrian activity into the area. It's also walkable, as you can actually walk to a grocery store, convenience store, pharmacy/etc and you wouldn't really be pushing yourself to do it. They are really trying, the population is young and diverse, and it's something to consider.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 PM

thanks compelled. i always appreciate your posts.

I get the impression Hollywood is sort of to Ft. Lauderdale what the East Village is to Manhattan?

I definitely want to live someplace pretty, safe and charming but with a few free-thinkers and creative types along with some nice, middle (or upper class, though I am not upper class) familes.

Given that, what are your thoughts?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:06 PM

On your comparison, not quite. Sort of, but not really. As a whole it's more like Queens honestly lol but looking at the downtown/Young's Circle area you could sort of compare it that way.

You might like Hollywood Lakes EAST of US1 (it's a historic middle/upper middle class single family home area) but I think you would be better off with Delray.

You might even like Las Olas better than both.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:27 PM

40 posts, read 198,135 times
Go for Delray. I was down there last month (from NY) and I was really impressed with the downtown area. I strongly recommend it and to be honest I may end up there my self.

You dont have to answer this question: Are you guys Jewish?

Old 04-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks guys. I get the impression LAs Olas is more like Rodeo Drive, but I've never beent here. Is that true?
I am excited to begin exploring all these areas in depth over the summer.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappergirl View Post
Thanks guys. I get the impression LAs Olas is more like Rodeo Drive, but I've never beent here. Is that true?
Not quite, it's more like a lounge-y, casual upscale with a little bit of an artistic twist. It has that beachy Florida thing going on, it's actually fairly unique. Rodeo Dr. in South Florida is Worth Ave. in Palm Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach