Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 03:38 PM

18 posts, read 37,448 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm coming down for a job interview next week and am trying to find out as much about the area as I can. If it works out, I'll be working at the Opa Locka airport. I'd like to stay within about an hour, I'd only drive it a couple times a week at off hours mostly. I've done some research and am looking north. I understand the public schools are bad and we'll probably need to go private. Have some family in the Delray area. That being said, what are your reccomendations on where to look? My priorities:

1. Family friendly, safe area. Kids are 6 and 4, I travel and wife will spend a couple nights a week alone.

2. Within an hour or so of Opa Locka.

3. Rent for house of $1500-2000. Purchase price (I really want to rent for awhile) of $300k +/-. Prefer single family.

4. Any areas with good public schools that fit the above?

Thanks for your help. I'm going to do some looking next week and your suggestions will give me a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
My number one recommendation is that you don't live all the way in Palm Beach County if you work in Opa Locka. No, Broward County is not more dangerous than Palm Beach, in fact it's the other way around. If your number one priority is to be very close to family, than I would check out WEST Boca. The public school districts are good and it has a younger age demographic than other areas in Boca. However, since you work so far south, I would suggest Weston (if you don't mind a large Spanish speaking population), Cooper City, Davie, or the WEST part of Pembroke Pines (if you don't mind a large Spanish speaking population), and possibly even Miami Lakes (if you don't mind a large Spanish speaking population) in Dade County if you take the private school route. My personal pick would be a tie between Weston and Cooper City. Boca is nice but it's just too far from Opa Locka and I can't stand the vibe there in the people. If you worked in the Cypress Creek area in Ft. Lauderdale then Boca would be a good bet.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:34 PM

Thanks, that's just the kind of info I'm looking for. I'm definitely looking for a younger crowd. We don't have to live right next to our family in Delray, it's nice to be in the same state. Not really into the snobby attitude so I'll take into account the prevalent opinions on Boca.

As far as schools go, I'm against private in general. I (and my wife) think a large part of schooling is the responsibility of the parents. Too many people put all the responsibility on the school. Testing and numbers only tell part of the story. That being said, safety is our biggest worry. I see and hear a lot about the problems in the schools there, and if it's at all true then we'll probably go the private route just for that reason alone. I would still like to have the option and be in a good public district though.

Anybody else have some suggestions?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:37 PM

The reason I suggest Weston is because it's home to a very involved parent. One of the elementary schools is even blue ribbon. Of course that's just a "rating" but it takes a lot to be that greatly recognized. Cooper City also tends to be tight knit, and spends less per capita on it's students than almost all Broward schools yet show some of the best results, which should tell you something. Both of the areas are MUCH closer to Opa Locka than PBC and also much younger.

As far as safety, well, there are too many damn drama queens posting. If you live in a large metropolitan area right now it's the same thing here. There are areas that are safe and areas that aren't as safe. The lines are actually easy to learn.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:57 PM

Good to know, I'll certainly check it out while I'm there. I'm in Mesa, AZ right now. We like it, unfortunately work.................

Looking at the map, what about Plantation, Sunrise, Tamarac, Margate?

Just looking to whittle down the list somewhat.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the responses.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 PM

Plantation is pretty looking and a few of the elementary schools are good, but middle and high schools are poor. You should look into the Central Park Elementary area, the school has a great reputation.

Tamarac is good for 55+, and Margate is safe but just a working class area, kind of run down, and also getting too far north (so I would eliminate Coral Springs and Parkland too, which are good communities as is Boca Raton). I wouldn't live north of I-595 if you work in Opa Locka.

Sunrise has a couple good elementary schools and a sliver of it is serviced by middle and high schools in Davie and elementary schools in Weston which are generally considered to be good (especially the middle). Residences of Sawgrass Mills area, PARTS of Welleby, and 84 South (said area zoned for the better middle/high schools) are good communities while the rest of it is questionable for families, but might be OK for someone who is single or married couples without children. Sunrise also has a few sections that are downright dodgy, mostly the areas east of University Dr.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:22 PM

Great information, I owe you one!

Old 04-22-2008, 11:29 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
My number one recommendation is that you don't live all the way in Palm Beach County if you work in Opa Locka. No, Broward County is not more dangerous than Palm Beach, in fact it's the other way around. If your number one priority is to be very close to family, than I would check out WEST Boca. The public school districts are good and it has a younger age demographic than other areas in Boca. However, since you work so far south, I would suggest Weston (if you don't mind a large Spanish speaking population), Cooper City, Davie, or the WEST part of Pembroke Pines (if you don't mind a large Spanish speaking population), and possibly even Miami Lakes (if you don't mind a large Spanish speaking population) in Dade County if you take the private school route. My personal pick would be a tie between Weston and Cooper City. Boca is nice but it's just too far from Opa Locka and I can't stand the vibe there in the people. If you worked in the Cypress Creek area in Ft. Lauderdale then Boca would be a good bet.
Crime in Boca is on the rise, Town Center murders and etc and etc and car jackings and robberies and etc. Most of the trouble makers, when caught, have addresses in Broward or Miami-Dade.

Most recent news, doesn't prove anything to my point but surely I'm curious to see where these carjackers are from.

Three carjacking suspects captured in 40-mile chase (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/treasurecoast/content/tcoast/epaper/2008/04/22/m1b_boyntoncarjack_0422.html - broken link)

Murdered woman's family is suing Boca's Town Center mall (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/south/epaper/2008/04/22/0422gorenbergsues.html - broken link)

Old 04-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Criminals always head the other direction to do their business. Where do you think most of the criminals in Palm Beach Gardens (yes they have criminals there, a higher rate than Boca Raton) and Jupiter (yes they have criminals there, almost the same rate as Boca Raton) and Wellington (yes they have criminals there, almost the same rate as Boca Raton) or in Martin County (yes they have criminals there, higher rate than Boca Raton) have addresses in? They have addresses in places like West Palm Beach, Lake Worth, and Riviera Beach. Those three areas are worse than anything Broward has to offer (including Pompano and NW Ft. Lauderdale) and rival anything in Dade.

What does the Boca murders and robberies have to do with Dade or Broward? That guy could live ANYWHERE, seeing the descriptions of the freak.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:53 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
What does the Boca murders and robberies have to do with Dade or Broward? That guy could live ANYWHERE, seeing the descriptions of the freak.
Most not all of the trouble makers reside in Broward or Dade, usually but not always I read or hear reports they are from elsewhere not here. I should keep a scrap book of all the reports and stories.

Appears they think Palm Beach County is Mayberry and they will only face Barney Fife and his pop gun. Boca lures in the crooks because it's easy pickens, 95 is there for the quick getaway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach