Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 07:14 AM

16,006 posts, read 7,056,509 times

Advertisements

For the first time we spent a couple of weeks in WPB. We loved it. The people are friendly, courteous. Great facilities like the libraries, cultural centers, shopping. Loved it all and would like to return next winter.

We had an unusual experience with parking near a popular restaurant. There was no parking space in the lot so we thought we will park on the the street off the main street a block down.We saw the sign with arrow on both sides with no parking, did not say anything else. I thought if we go a block further in, away from the intersection it should be OK since the sign did not say no parking on either side, anywhere. Usually where we live it clearly states that, and at intervals down the street. Nothing ambiguous like that.
Two police cruisers went by slowly as I was trying to park and I tried to wave one down to ask him what the deal is, if it was ok to park. He ignored me and drove past, turned around, and parked at the corner. Tapped on his window and asked if I can park on the street. His reply "I don't know. I am not going to give you a ticket." While I was talking to him another cruiser went by towards my car. It was such a flippant remark I couldn't take it seriously. I would have expected a clear answer. Anyway I parked a block down and went in to the restaurant to reserve a spot and asked the girl there. She clearly told me no parking on either side of the street for the entire length, anywhere in the area, only in the parking lots and she pointed me to another one across the main road. She said they will tow your car.
I ran back to my car and by the time some guy had pulled in in front of me and was getting down. I pulled out and parked it in a lot the girl pointed to and everything was ok.
What would you make of this experience?. Me, it gave me a bad opinion of the police. It made me think it was a set up to trap tourists, ticket the car and get it towed. I would expect the police to answer my question directly and clearly and tell me where I can park legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 11:59 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,108,706 times
Who cares? Do you realize the real crime the cops have to deal with in downtown West Palm?

I went to lunch on a holiday in Miami Beach. Parking is terrible there, I read the sign and it clearly stated parking was ok during day hours but then the next line mentions not on holidays. Lunch was $300 so I was hoping it wasn't going to double my cost after a tow/ticket. We all chatted about the parking situation during lunch and discussed the ambiguity of the sign, I walked back to find the car was still there (not towed, not ticketed). I couldn't imagine being upset with a cop over a parking spot especially if the guy said he wasn't going to bother with you or your car.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Who cares? Do you realize the real crime the cops have to deal with in downtown West Palm?

I went to lunch on a holiday in Miami Beach. Parking is terrible there, I read the sign and it clearly stated parking was ok during day hours but then the next line mentions not on holidays. Lunch was $300 so I was hoping it wasn't going to double my cost after a tow/ticket. We all chatted about the parking situation during lunch and discussed the ambiguity of the sign, I walked back to find the car was still there (not towed, not ticketed). I couldn't imagine being upset with a cop over a parking spot especially if the guy said he wasn't going to bother with you or your car.
This the most ##### (fill in) response. I wonder what residents who actually live in WPB feel about.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:22 PM

669 posts, read 321,758 times
Alot of times, police do not know about by-law infractions. Different department. They might be oblivious to those things since they might go into different jurisdictions and themselves, do not understand every by-law sign.

Sure it wasn't 'pleasant', but I think think you should take this up with the city regarding signage. At the end of the day, this is common all across N. America. Popular spots, city doesn't go out of their way to enhance clarity leading to higher tickets since it funds local city treasury.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
Alot of times, police do not know about by-law infractions. Different department. They might be oblivious to those things since they might go into different jurisdictions and themselves, do not understand every by-law sign.

Sure it wasn't 'pleasant', but I think think you should take this up with the city regarding signage. At the end of the day, this is common all across N. America. Popular spots, city doesn't go out of their way to enhance clarity leading to higher tickets since it funds local city treasury.
I dont know if you are familiar with the area i am talking about. It is outside the city, the suburb, off the main street, a diner, not downtown. Located in the corner of a residential area. I can understand the residents not wanting cars from the diner business parked on their streets.
Two police cruisers go up and down while we were finding a spot. He would not even respond to until i persisted and knocked on his window. He should know what those street signages mean, dont park on ANY street. All he had to do was say it politely, or even rudely. This diner has been there for a LONG. Time, a landmark.
It is a trap and a deal with the towing company. Too bad for residents of WPB.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I dont know if you are familiar with the area i am talking about. It is outside the city, the suburb, off the main street, a diner, not downtown. Located in the corner of a residential area. I can understand the residents not wanting cars from the diner business parked on their streets.
Two police cruisers go up and down while we were finding a spot. He would not even respond to until i persisted and knocked on his window. He should know what those street signages mean, dont park on ANY street. All he had to do was say it politely, or even rudely. This diner has been there for a LONG. Time, a landmark.
It is a trap and a deal with the towing company. Too bad for residents of WPB.
So if you are talking about Howley's (been there for 70 years so far), that is in the city of West Palm Beach and residential is to the east of it.

If you didn't get towed how would it be a towing trap? I wouldn't park at the business next door but why not parallel across the street by the park? I've eaten there at least a dozen times and never fretted about parking.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This the most ##### (fill in) response. I wonder what residents who actually live in WPB feel about.

Jolly?

Grand?

Happy?

Magic?

Smart?

Valid?

Zesty?

Old 03-19-2020, 06:24 AM

981 posts, read 901,412 times
We eat at Howley’s all the time, never had an issue with a ticket or tow. I can’t imagine the police have some ‘side deal’ with the towing company? And from your post it doesn’t sound like you were actually towed or ticketed so why would you think that? With regards to the police officer’s behavior, their primary focus is not parking, so I would not be put off at all with his remark (or lack thereof) - he was stating the truth, he wasn’t going to write you a ticket (and he didn’t). Personally, this makes me feel better that our officers are focused on real crime and not parking infractions.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Jolly?

Grand?

Happy?

Magic?

Smart?

Valid?

Zesty?
All of the above

Old 03-19-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
We eat at Howley’s all the time, never had an issue with a ticket or tow. I can’t imagine the police have some ‘side deal’ with the towing company? And from your post it doesn’t sound like you were actually towed or ticketed so why would you think that? With regards to the police officer’s behavior, their primary focus is not parking, so I would not be put off at all with his remark (or lack thereof) - he was stating the truth, he wasn’t going to write you a ticket (and he didn’t). Personally, this makes me feel better that our officers are focused on real crime and not parking infractions.
I am just used to a friendlier response from the police to such a question where I live. If residents FL are fine with this, ok , whatever. The officer was walking into the diner as he told me he wont ticket me, not fighting crime. I didnt get towed be because i didnt take his word, thank you. I took the word of the hostess, who was ver helpful, and who said you WILL get ticketed and WILL get towed. She pointed to lots where it is safe to park. Who would YOU believe?
Tourists bring their pocket book with them, pays to be nice to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach