Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 04:53 PM

12 posts, read 24,193 times

Advertisements

I have been considering moving to different parts of Florida for a few years now and have not decided to pull the trigger on the move. I currently live in NYC. My parents have a home in Flagler county that they want to retire in. It will not be possible for me to transfer to any surrounding area near Flagler

I was just given an opportunity to transfer to Boca Raton. My annual salary will be anywhere 70 to 75k. I would be looking to buy a condo, and my budget would be $250k max for a 2bedroom. I am looking for a safe low crime area. Being a single 35 yr old White female, I would prefer to live in a White area. Will I have trouble finding housing under my budget? I am not looking anything near the beach, and wouldn't being further inland.

Now as for my parents. They do not want to live in a condo and would prefer a house without any HOA fees. Their budget is 400-450k for a house. The houses that I've seen in Boca in that price range are just downright embarrassing and nightmarish options. Obviously Boca is out of the question as any decent house will be above 750k. They do not mind living 20-30 minutes driving from Boca. Are there any decent areas where one could get a 3-4 bedroom 2000sq ft house under $450k. They do not want to be in any community and have to waste $ on those ridiculous HOA fees.

I checked out Boynton Beach and found some nice homes in that price range. What scared me off are all the negative reviews of Boynton and the complaints of crime, gang activity, robberies, assaults. Living in such an area would be unacceptable for them.

Before I uproot them and bring them with me, I need to make sure I will not ruin their retirement by making their lives miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 05:06 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrasotkaJS View Post
I have been considering moving to different parts of Florida for a few years now and have not decided to pull the trigger on the move. I currently live in NYC. My parents have a home in Flagler county that they want to retire in. It will not be possible for me to transfer to any surrounding area near Flagler

I was just given an opportunity to transfer to Boca Raton. My annual salary will be anywhere 70 to 75k. I would be looking to buy a condo, and my budget would be $250k max for a 2bedroom. I am looking for a safe low crime area. Being a single 35 yr old White female, I would prefer to live in a White area. Will I have trouble finding housing under my budget? I am not looking anything near the beach, and wouldn't being further inland.

Now as for my parents. They do not want to live in a condo and would prefer a house without any HOA fees. Their budget is 400-450k for a house. The houses that I've seen in Boca in that price range are just downright embarrassing and nightmarish options. Obviously Boca is out of the question as any decent house will be above 750k. They do not mind living 20-30 minutes driving from Boca. Are there any decent areas where one could get a 3-4 bedroom 2000sq ft house under $450k. They do not want to be in any community and have to waste $ on those ridiculous HOA fees.

I checked out Boynton Beach and found some nice homes in that price range. What scared me off are all the negative reviews of Boynton and the complaints of crime, gang activity, robberies, assaults. Living in such an area would be unacceptable for them.

Before I uproot them and bring them with me, I need to make sure I will not ruin their retirement by making their lives miserable.
Well basically in that part of the state: you can "waste $ on those ridiculous HOA fees" or you can risk "crime, gang activity, robberies, assaults." Those "ridiculous HOA fees" usually come with gates and security personnel, a key card in order to use the pool and clubhouse facilities if there are any.

Also, if it's just your parents, why would they want a 3-4 bedroom 2000 sf home to retire in? Do they plan on hiring a maid to keep it clean? Wouldn't it be more cost efficient to get 2 bedroom 2 bath 1500 sf home with a den or covered lanai, and a small yard for entertaining?

As for Boca, you're not likely to find a condo for $250k max, and if you do, there's likely to be a lot of "ridiculous HOA fees."

Maybe look into what those fees cover, before making blanket statements.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Well basically in that part of the state: you can "waste $ on those ridiculous HOA fees" or you can risk "crime, gang activity, robberies, assaults." Those "ridiculous HOA fees" usually come with gates and security personnel, a key card in order to use the pool and clubhouse facilities if there are any.

Also, if it's just your parents, why would they want a 3-4 bedroom 2000 sf home to retire in? Do they plan on hiring a maid to keep it clean? Wouldn't it be more cost efficient to get 2 bedroom 2 bath 1500 sf home with a den or covered lanai, and a small yard for entertaining?

As for Boca, you're not likely to find a condo for $250k max, and if you do, there's likely to be a lot of "ridiculous HOA fees."

Maybe look into what those fees cover, before making blanket statements.
I always found HOA frustrating. Wonder why South Florida was ever developed like that. There are plenty of areas that are safe and function as normal neighborhoods around the country without having to resort to HOA. At the end of the day, these HOA fees are nothing but another money grab.

You are right, they probably wouldn't need a 2000sq feet home, one that is 1500 would be fine.

You say I will not find a condo under $250k. I see plenty of them in Sandalfoot Cove area of Boca. Am I looking at the wrong thing or something? Bear with me because I am not familiar with the area, just learning aobut it. Is Sandalfoot a safe area?

Old 02-17-2022, 03:58 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Cross Sandalfoot off your list

Old 02-17-2022, 06:57 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
I always found HOA frustrating. Wonder why South Florida was ever developed like that. There are plenty of areas that are safe and function as normal neighborhoods around the country without having to resort to HOA. At the end of the day, these HOA fees are nothing but another money grab.

You are right, they probably wouldn't need a 2000sq feet home, one that is 1500 would be fine.

You say I will not find a condo under $250k. I see plenty of them in Sandalfoot Cove area of Boca. Am I looking at the wrong thing or something? Bear with me because I am not familiar with the area, just learning aobut it. Is Sandalfoot a safe area?

Sandalfoot is the white trash area of Boca......yeah there is even a trailer park out there!
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M52108-15522

Forget living in Boca in a nice place for 250K, it won't happen especially after you factor in the HOA/club fees.

HOAs are common, people want the well maintained community look. They want the green grass, the seasonal flowers planted at the entrance. They don't want Uncle Eddie's RV parked on the grass in front of the house for 2 years, they don't want junk cars in the driveway like in Hoboken, NJ!

East Boca (inside city limits) is basically a big HOA, the city has lots of rules.

Out west, unincorporated west Boca needs the HOAs to try to look as nice as East Boca.

Look in Coconut Creek, it is next to Boca and you might find what you want at your price point.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:10 AM

BTW Flagler is a very pleasant place, if I was your parents I'd be pissed you dragged me to West Boynton Beach (MISERABLE PLACE). Flagler is laid back, low traffic, beach town kind of vibe. Boynton is NY/NJ retirees, crowded, crappy shopping centers with big box stores. East Boynton is ghetto. They recently made headlines for an unlicensed 13 yr old on a dirtbike running from the cops, kid ran out of talent and crashed/died at the scene. Parents outraged that they bought jr a dirtbike the day before (Christmas) and the cops shouldn't have chased him. Now they are suing the city while taking zero responsibility for setting this tragedy in motion with the purchase!

https://cbs12.com/news/local/video-s...re-fatal-crash

Old 02-17-2022, 08:35 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Cross Sandalfoot off your list
I concur.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
BTW Flagler is a very pleasant place, if I was your parents I'd be pissed you dragged me to West Boynton Beach (MISERABLE PLACE). Flagler is laid back, low traffic, beach town kind of vibe. Boynton is NY/NJ retirees, crowded, crappy shopping centers with big box stores. East Boynton is ghetto. They recently made headlines for an unlicensed 13 yr old on a dirtbike running from the cops, kid ran out of talent and crashed/died at the scene. Parents outraged that they bought jr a dirtbike the day before (Christmas) and the cops shouldn't have chased him. Now they are suing the city while taking zero responsibility for setting this tragedy in motion with the purchase!

https://cbs12.com/news/local/video-s...re-fatal-crash
That's what worries me. I do not want to drag them out there and have them be miserable surrounded by ghetto trash.

Are there any other areas within 30 min driving distance of Boca where they could buy a decent house under 400k?

Old 02-17-2022, 02:20 PM

Why not just move yourself and leave them in Flagler? See how you like the area, how the job works out before you disrupt their lives?

The Boca Resort and Club (Landmark Pink Tower) to the Flagler Pier (another local landmark) is 245 miles/ just under a 4 hour drive.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:09 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:

Cross SE Florida off your list.

Very, very, very few areas are non HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach