Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 AM

14 posts, read 52,716 times

Advertisements

I guess it is all a matter of taste and personal preference. I have been to Boynton, Wellington, Atlantis, etc. and gated communities are jsut pretty boring and perpetuate a false sense of security. I feel safer in a crowd and I like living in diversified areas. I have lived in Paris, Miami, Miami Beach, D.C., New York, Plantation (boring) and now Lake Worth and Miami. Lake Worth and it offers me more options than the gated communities above. I decided to move here full time for the services offered by Palm Beach county the school system and all the wonderful museums and parks. Lake Worth has 2 A+ rated elementary schools. Much more important to my family than a guard at the gate. I travel more often than not and find that the U.S has tons of areas that border wealthy/hood. D.C. is a big example of that. The Capital and Congress buildings are just blocks from a very scary neighborhood. But that doesn't stop me from visiting, I love it there. Let's be real here. Life is a risk by just walking out the door. It doesn't matter where you live but HOW you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 09:53 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native135 View Post
I guess it is all a matter of taste and personal preference. I have been to Boynton, Wellington, Atlantis, etc. and gated communities are jsut pretty boring and perpetuate a false sense of security. I feel safer in a crowd and I like living in diversified areas. I have lived in Paris, Miami, Miami Beach, D.C., New York, Plantation (boring) and now Lake Worth and Miami. Lake Worth and it offers me more options than the gated communities above. I decided to move here full time for the services offered by Palm Beach county the school system and all the wonderful museums and parks. Lake Worth has 2 A+ rated elementary schools. Much more important to my family than a guard at the gate. I travel more often than not and find that the U.S has tons of areas that border wealthy/hood. D.C. is a big example of that. The Capital and Congress buildings are just blocks from a very scary neighborhood. But that doesn't stop me from visiting, I love it there. Let's be real here. Life is a risk by just walking out the door. It doesn't matter where you live but HOW you live.
Actually, I'm assuming you live in downtown Lake Worth, which isn't too bad. Many areas of Lake Worth are terrible, and even I read a story about Haitian immigrants saying that they don't like living in Lake Worth because of the gang culture, bad influences, and crime there. There's just too many bad areas of Lake Worth, and the alphabet streets have shady sections as well.

And D.C. You say like visiting the capital, and it's true that bad neighborhoods are a few blocks away. But even you admitted that you only like visiting it and wouldn't live in a neighborhood like that.

Also, what A-rated Lake Worth schools are you referring to?

It's like when people visit Miami and they think it's wonderful, but when they move there and the vacation effect wears off they aren't fond of it.

(I will give you that Plantation is boring though, lol).

Old 05-10-2008, 10:24 AM

I am sorry I think you misunderstood me. I lived in D.C. for 7 years. I moved to Florida to be closer to relatives that are aging. That's the only reason I am here. I would love to live D.C. again because of family and obligations I live here.

And yes, I live very near to downtown Lake Worth, north of Lake. It reminds me of South Beach before they sold out to big business and rap stars. It is a great little community. very tightnight. I have met great families here and by the way, we have owned the house for three years. My husband and I used to come here for 3-4weeks every 4 months from Miami. It has improved since then & is still improving and I am very proud to be a resident here as I should be. We should all be proud of our "hoods". The grass is not always greener on the other side. PEACE.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I am sorry I think you misunderstood me. I lived in D.C. for 7 years. I moved to Florida to be closer to relatives that are aging. That's the only reason I am here. I would love to live D.C. again because of family and obligations I live here.

And yes, I live very near to downtown Lake Worth, north of Lake. It reminds me of South Beach before they sold out to big business and rap stars. It is a great little community. very tightnight. I have met great families here and by the way, we have owned the house for three years. My husband and I used to come here for 3-4weeks every 4 months from Miami. It has improved since then & is still improving and I am very proud to be a resident here as I should be. We should all be proud of our "hoods". The grass is not always greener on the other side. PEACE.
That area of Lake Worth is not the "hood", lol, that is one of the better sections I was describing.

I'm still wondering what A-rated schools you were referring to though

Old 05-11-2008, 11:57 AM

info on elementary school in Lake Worth - Grade A in 2006 and 2007.

NORTH GRADE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL in Lake Worth, FL - Test Results, Rating, Ranking, Detailed Profile, and Report Card

Old 05-11-2008, 12:17 PM

Hi PCBOY,

This school is much further away from my home, but it ahs a great rating as well -//www.city-data.com/school/discovery-key-elementary-school-fl.html.

Thanks for asking.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
On greatschools.net it lists it as a 5 out of 10:

North Grade Elementary School - Lake Worth, Florida - FL - School overview

Discovery Key is on Lyons Rd, that is definitely not Lake Worth. It uses a Lake Worth address but is in the middle of nowhere, unincorporated Palm Beach County. It's not even part of Lake Worth Corridor.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:27 PM

Unfortunatelyu - greatschools.net listed has a ton of schools on there that get a bad rap from parents. As with any public review, it is a personal experience that drives the author. since it is an opinion site not based on grades, I take it with a grain of salt.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:29 PM

PCBOY, thanks for your interest, but I consider the children's performace on tests and the rating the school gets from the state of Florida an important factor in raising my son. If i relied on every opinion or comment given to me, he would be breastfed until 7 and home-schooled out of fear and a social outcast.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
PCBOY, thanks for your interest, but I consider the children's performace on tests and the rating the school gets from the state of Florida an important factor in raising my son. If i relied on every opinion or comment given to me, he would be breastfed until 7 and home-schooled out of fear and a social outcast.
Actually, the ratings are based upon test scores:

"Our ratings give an overview of this
school's test results. They are based
on a comparison of test results for all
schools in the state." from the website.

For that school based on test scores:

Grade 3 4
Grade 4 6
Grade 5 6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach