Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 07:59 PM

37,133 posts, read 41,343,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The ADA has very specific wording that forbids anyone from requiring "proof" that their dog is, in fact, a service dog. The only thing you're allowed to ask, as a store employee/owner/proprietor is: is this animal a service animal? And - what services are this animal trained to perform?

You're not allowed to ask if the person needs those services. you're not allowed to ask if the animal is helping the person with any particular illness/ailment/disability. And you're not allowed to ask for proof.

What you ARE allowed to require is "four on the floor," good behavior, 6-foot or shorter leash, no retractable leashes, and no sniffing. If the animal strays more than a couple of feet away from the handler, or is sniffing at the shelves, or approaching other people, or being held or put in a buggy or cart, the owner is allowed to tell the person to leave the store.

Service animals that aren't on duty are pets. Pets are not allowed. Service animals are. If your service animal isn't behaving like a service animal, then it's either not a service animal, or it's off duty, and considered a pet.
Emotional support animals are not service dogs.

The difference is explained here:

https://www.fortislawpartners.com/bl...upport-animals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 11:32 AM

119 posts, read 237,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

In total agreement but it doesn't seem to be helping anything, they just come in anyway and store employees ignore it.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:50 AM

2,026 posts, read 1,747,707 times
Growing up in Hungary in the fifties it was common to see dogs under the table in a restaurant. They were on the bus, on the subway, on the beaches, everywhere. Renting an apartment with a dog was easy, no one asked if you own a pet or not. Different cultures. Politically speaking our freedoms were limited, same in business, but other things were easy and up to the individual.

Old 01-10-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Growing up in Hungary in the fifties it was common to see dogs under the table in a restaurant. They were on the bus, on the subway, on the beaches, everywhere. Renting an apartment with a dog was easy, no one asked if you own a pet or not. Different cultures. Politically speaking our freedoms were limited, same in business, but other things were easy and up to the individual.
I'm actually perfectly fine with well behaved pets on the beach or at an outside table at a sidewalk cafe or on the boardwalk. It's when it's inside the establishment that I think the health codes kick in. It's true, different cultures. I was in the south of France and a woman brought her dog into the pub, no one said anything. I have been in Budapest too (lovely city) I don't recall either way seeing pets. I'm guessing they wouldn't let them in New York Cafe though haha

Old 01-13-2021, 05:40 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,963,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondeye View Post
Snowbird here, compared to my home area of the Mid-Atlantic, I've noticed a larger frequency of these animals going into grocery stores, coffeeshops, wherever. I'm just wondering if anyone else has. I know this is a controversial topic, but up until about 7 years ago, we seemed to get along without them with no major catastrophe, now there are nearly daily sightings. I am generally skeptical about them, their credentialing (since there is no federal ADA service animal licensing program), and their overall propriety, to say nothing of the health and safety risks of having animals in grocery stores and restaurants. It seems so selfish I'm given to referring to them as "Entitlement Support Animals" Has the local community weighed in on this issue at all?

If they are not providing service by performing tasks related to a specific disability, they do not belong in grocery stores, restaurants, or other places of public accommodation, because they are not service animals.

ADA may not require official credentials, but there are set standards that must be followed in order for an animal providing aid to be classified as a service animal. Task trained to assist a specific disability, must have impeccable manners and be able to focus fully on the task at hand without getting distracted, and must do their job "four feet on the floor" (they are not allowed to ride in shopping carts or sit on seats on public transportation or in restaurants). Service animals also can ONLY be dogs or mini horses, no other species.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:26 PM

So I'm temporarily back in my home state in the Mid-Atl and happened to see one tonight, the guy was in the gas station convenience store carrying his Dachshund. Definitely not 4-on-the-floor.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:10 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,130,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The ADA has very specific wording that forbids anyone from requiring "proof" that their dog is, in fact, a service dog. The only thing you're allowed to ask, as a store employee/owner/proprietor is: is this animal a service animal? And - what services are this animal trained to perform?

You're not allowed to ask if the person needs those services. you're not allowed to ask if the animal is helping the person with any particular illness/ailment/disability. And you're not allowed to ask for proof.

Florida no longer requires businesses to make accomodation for emotional support animals. You can now refuse a guest with an animal.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Florida no longer requires businesses to make accommodation for emotional support animals. You can now refuse a guest with an animal.
I wish they would...

Old 01-16-2021, 04:37 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,425,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Yes, but I am reading the poster is saying that they come in under the guise of being a service dog, because the business really has not much ground to stand on in challenging it.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,425,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Florida no longer requires businesses to make accomodation for emotional support animals. You can now refuse a guest with an animal.
Unless that person has a dog, and just declares it a service animal, as many people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
View detailed profiles of: