Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 03:12 PM

119 posts, read 236,999 times

Advertisements

Snowbird here, compared to my home area of the Mid-Atlantic, I've noticed a larger frequency of these animals going into grocery stores, coffeeshops, wherever. I'm just wondering if anyone else has. I know this is a controversial topic, but up until about 7 years ago, we seemed to get along without them with no major catastrophe, now there are nearly daily sightings. I am generally skeptical about them, their credentialing (since there is no federal ADA service animal licensing program), and their overall propriety, to say nothing of the health and safety risks of having animals in grocery stores and restaurants. It seems so selfish I'm given to referring to them as "Entitlement Support Animals" Has the local community weighed in on this issue at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 07:22 PM

74 posts, read 132,152 times
I like animals more than people so I just don't really care.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:32 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondeye View Post
Snowbird here, compared to my home area of the Mid-Atlantic, I've noticed a larger frequency of these animals going into grocery stores, coffeeshops, wherever. I'm just wondering if anyone else has. I know this is a controversial topic, but up until about 7 years ago, we seemed to get along without them with no major catastrophe, now there are nearly daily sightings. I am generally skeptical about them, their credentialing (since there is no federal ADA service animal licensing program), and their overall propriety, to say nothing of the health and safety risks of having animals in grocery stores and restaurants. It seems so selfish I'm given to referring to them as "Entitlement Support Animals" Has the local community weighed in on this issue at all?
The ADA has very specific wording that forbids anyone from requiring "proof" that their dog is, in fact, a service dog. The only thing you're allowed to ask, as a store employee/owner/proprietor is: is this animal a service animal? And - what services are this animal trained to perform?

You're not allowed to ask if the person needs those services. you're not allowed to ask if the animal is helping the person with any particular illness/ailment/disability. And you're not allowed to ask for proof.

What you ARE allowed to require is "four on the floor," good behavior, 6-foot or shorter leash, no retractable leashes, and no sniffing. If the animal strays more than a couple of feet away from the handler, or is sniffing at the shelves, or approaching other people, or being held or put in a buggy or cart, the owner is allowed to tell the person to leave the store.

Service animals that aren't on duty are pets. Pets are not allowed. Service animals are. If your service animal isn't behaving like a service animal, then it's either not a service animal, or it's off duty, and considered a pet.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:08 PM

The business owners are hamstrung due to not being permitted to ask about it, and it's a moral hazard for abusers to bring fake service dogs because they know they can't be questioned. What store employees can (and should) at least do in the meantime is ask if the animal is a service animal and only let service animals and not ESA's in the store. If there were an official ADA certification/licensing, for both Service Dogs and ESA's, then it would stand to reason business owners could request display and validation of such license upon entry. Having said that, going into local coffeeshops, I see people that don't even bother to pretend, they just bring in their pet and dare someone to confront them. I myself am not allergic but what about people who are? Perhaps some people are wary of animals or for whatever reason don't wish to be around them, now they don't get to decide. It's the height of entitlement.

I like dogs and cats too, but there are places where they don't belong or where their presence should be kept to an absolute minimum, and that includes places in which food is sold and/or prepared.

Last edited by diamondeye; 01-08-2021 at 09:49 PM..

Old 01-09-2021, 07:41 AM

17,295 posts, read 22,023,110 times
The "fake" service animals are despicable and really hurts the people that need them.

To me, total outsider the fancier the dog/owner the more likely they are scamming the system. If it is a working dog, it generally looks like a working dog, not fluffy fresh out of the pet salon.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:20 AM

There's both of those, and then there are there is a whole third group seen at Walmart where anything goes apparently.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:53 PM

19 posts, read 34,477 times
The pets are wonderful to see! It's the occasional human pet owner that ruins it but generally speaking, they're no worse than the poorly behaved humans without dogs -- they just seem to stick out more. But after all these years I've never seen a dog misbehave any more than many ill-mannered children. The more dogs out and about and in our culture, the better, I say! Just don't leave your dog in the car without the air conditioner running. Better to just take Fido or Fifi into the Bistro courtyard with you. Oh and shopkeepers! It's so nice when you have a bowl of fresh water outside your door as a sign that you are "welcoming" and some decent cookies would be a nice extra.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:09 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavePassportReadyToGo View Post
The pets are wonderful to see! It's the occasional human pet owner that ruins it but generally speaking, they're no worse than the poorly behaved humans without dogs -- they just seem to stick out more. But after all these years I've never seen a dog misbehave any more than many ill-mannered children. The more dogs out and about and in our culture, the better, I say! Just don't leave your dog in the car without the air conditioner running. Better to just take Fido or Fifi into the Bistro courtyard with you. Oh and shopkeepers! It's so nice when you have a bowl of fresh water outside your door as a sign that you are "welcoming" and some decent cookies would be a nice extra.
I wouldn't leave my pet in a hot car either. What is wrong with leaving a dog at home when you go out?

Old 01-09-2021, 06:20 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondeye View Post
I've seen signs in our local grocery stores, restaurants about registered service animals being welcome inside, but that pets were not allowed. I think most people who bring their dogs inside just ignore the signs, knowing that it's very unlikely anyone will challenge them. A lot of these dogs are obviously pets, they may or may not be wearing an internet bought "service animal" vest, in some cases the dog looks more decrepit than the owner and it's hard to tell who's the service animal and who needs the service.

Entitlement support animal sounds like a great description to me.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I've seen signs in our local grocery stores, restaurants about registered service animals being welcome inside, but that pets were not allowed. I think most people who bring their dogs inside just ignore the signs, knowing that it's very unlikely anyone will challenge them. A lot of these dogs are obviously pets, they may or may not be wearing an internet bought "service animal" vest, in some cases the dog looks more decrepit than the owner and it's hard to tell who's the service animal and who needs the service.

Entitlement support animal sounds like a great description to me.
Exactly, they know that store managers can't deal with verifying everybody's service dog authenticity, which I'm not sure how that's even done. It's so easy to abuse, so they just bust on through with Fifi like they own the place. Just kind of shows that people will try to get away with bad behavior if enforcement isn't there. A rather poor reflection on people honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
View detailed profiles of: