Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 12:11 PM

33 posts, read 47,702 times

Advertisements

Just looking for real honest opinions, I live in New Jersey originally from Brooklyn N.Y. also lived in Staten Island for 14 years. Two children ages 10 and 13, Oh and the big kid 40... looking to move. Just looking for some opinions on what town is better for raising kids. Schools being very important to me. Price range $300k-375k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,219 times
Both are good to raise kids, with Wellington being a little better. A couple of years ago believe it or not, $300-375k wouldn't have gotten you anything. Nowadays, it can buy you a pretty nice house in a really good area. I would stick to the western part of Royal Palm Beach, it's nicer. Prices in Wellington start in the $200's for a townhouse all the way up to mega, mega millions for some of the rich polo and drassage areas. If you are thinking about buying, I would definitely recommend driving around and checking out the areas first. If you have any other ?, you can IM me.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:34 PM

Default Thanks for the info...

Good info, In my town in Jersey 650k won't get you much so I'm thrilled with
350k. I like the community Olympia, the homes are close but right now there is 85 feet between the homes in my community and it's far when the kids want to walk to a friends house, also not as many kids. I just love the entrance and it seems so nice.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:56 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startpackinn View Post
Good info, In my town in Jersey 650k won't get you much so I'm thrilled with
350k. I like the community Olympia, the homes are close but right now there is 85 feet between the homes in my community and it's far when the kids want to walk to a friends house, also not as many kids. I just love the entrance and it seems so nice.
I would avoid Olympia and look elsewhere, during the boom Olympia was one of the worst developments for flipping and artificially inflated prices. Now many homes within the gates are in foreclosure as well it's one of only a few (maybe the only one) newer communities in Wellington that is not completely built out. Minto is struggling to get people in there now. It is very tight, and the subdivisions inside have tight streets.

Even if you want to buy now, personally I wouldn't, you have to figure in property tax rates along with HOA fees (which can be very expensive) along with insurance which can further set you back.

Olympia can get very noisy too, it's adjacent to the Forest Hill Blvd Dragway lol and also during the 4th of July and New Years Eve block parties and people lighting off fireworks is normal for hours too, if your bothered by noise, block parties and fireworks I would look elsewhere.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I would avoid Olympia and look elsewhere, during the boom Olympia was one of the worst developments for flipping and artificially inflated prices. Now many homes within the gates are in foreclosure as well it's one of only a few (maybe the only one) newer communities in Wellington that is not completely built out. Minto is struggling to get people in there now. It is very tight, and the subdivisions inside have tight streets.

Even if you want to buy now, personally I wouldn't, you have to figure in property tax rates along with HOA fees (which can be very expensive) along with insurance which can further set you back.

Olympia can get very noisy too, it's adjacent to the Forest Hill Blvd Dragway lol and also during the 4th of July and New Years Eve block parties and people lighting off fireworks is normal for hours too, if your bothered by noise, block parties and fireworks I would look elsewhere.
Struggling for the builder is just the word I wanted to hear, ( better for negotiating) I work for a national builder myself and I just gave a 120k incentive to someone on a new home. I do feel bad for the families in foreclosure.

As far as taxes I'm at 14k per year but I am scared of insurance rates.

Wow... Block parties.. I grew up in Brooklyn and have longed for one for many years. It sounds like everything I would enjoy. I'm sure you think I'm nuts, but that's how I grew up. Mix that with good schools and a safe area and I'm in.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Struggling for the builder is just the word I wanted to hear, ( better for negotiating) I work for a national builder myself and I just gave a 120k incentive to someone on a new home. I do feel bad for the families in foreclosure.

Wow... Block parties.. I grew up in Brooklyn and have longed for one for many years. It sounds like everything I would enjoy. I'm sure you think I'm nuts, but that's how I grew up. Mix that with good schools and a safe area and I'm in.
Just keep in mind taxes are higher in Wellington then some other parts of PB County. One of my friends, who doesn't even live in the village limits, bought a $750K house, pay's over $12K year in taxes, $5K+ in insurance and $3K/year for HOA fees.

For example a $425K house in Olympia would be around $8K/year in taxes. A $750K house in Wellington would be over $14K year. So in general expect to pay more if you live in the Village limits.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 11,465 times
Quote:

startpackinn,
My question is have you moved yet? If so where to and did you make the right choice? We are a family of 4 (younger kids) living in NJ originally from Brooklyn -skipped SI- but same scenario. I would love to hear your feedback at this point. We are mixed between Wellington and RPB, and I have to tell ya, if I wanted to deal with gangs I would move my family back to Brooklyn at least that is a criminal I understand, so what's the real with gangs in Florida?
Thanks

Old 03-30-2010, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 16,153 times
I lived in Wellington for 4 years and to be honest, it is more hype. I have 2 children and I found the area to be a bit snobby. The people look nice, but they are not very friendly. Some of the schools are overcrowded. But the biggest issue for me was all the foreclosures in the area.

We moved on to Royal Palm Beach (Madison Green) and we are so much happier, more of a family feel and I absolutely LOVE the schools. My son attended Royal Palm Beach Elementary and the school is phenomenal. I am a teacher and I was impressed at the level of academics. There is a tremendous community feel to the school. Just what I was looking for.

I currently teach in a Wellington Area school and I still prefer Royal Palm.

Due to job issues, we are relocating up north within a year or two, but I can honestly say, I am very happy raising my children in Royal Palm Beach.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 3 G's View Post
I lived in Wellington for 4 years and to be honest, it is more hype. I have 2 children and I found the area to be a bit snobby. The people look nice, but they are not very friendly. Some of the schools are overcrowded. But the biggest issue for me was all the foreclosures in the area.

We moved on to Royal Palm Beach (Madison Green) and we are so much happier, more of a family feel and I absolutely LOVE the schools. My son attended Royal Palm Beach Elementary and the school is phenomenal. I am a teacher and I was impressed at the level of academics. There is a tremendous community feel to the school. Just what I was looking for.

I currently teach in a Wellington Area school and I still prefer Royal Palm.

Due to job issues, we are relocating up north within a year or two, but I can honestly say, I am very happy raising my children in Royal Palm Beach.
I don't agree nor do I think there is much difference between RPB and Wellington, I live in Wellington and I'm just not feeling the same vibe. If you want snobby you need to head to Boca. Sure Welly World changed drastically and in my opinion it was a better place then what it is now 10 years ago or so, before the mall was built and when 441 was just a 2 lane road with little or no traffic.

During season sure we get the Hampton types here for Polo and Horse Season, but they tend to mingle in their own little circles and hang out at The Player's Club, you will see these people wearing riding pant with boots walking around Publix.

I also don't get the point on foreclosures, RPB has it's fair share of them too. There are little if any foreclosures in my development.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,502 times
Is Madison garden in Royal Palm beach a good place to raise a family? Any good preschools close by?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach