U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:31 PM

7 posts, read 16,402 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

My husband's job is being relocated from Colorado to PBJ. We are not familiar with the area and are unsure of areas we may want to house hunt. Because we have two children I am looking for family friendly communities to check out. My husband's current commute is 45 minutes each way so any community within that commute distance is fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 07:20 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,238,912 times
You should check out Wellington, but depending on where the job is located that all depends. 45 minutes here is 20 miles or so on the normal roads, more or less on the Turnpike or I-95 depending on traffic.

Village of Wellington | Palm Beach County | Florida | Welcome

Old 05-09-2008, 01:26 PM

247 posts, read 1,223,913 times
If he works in Palm Beach Gardens that is a very nice place to live. Also, there is The Acreage which is just south of it (33412 and 33470)

Old 05-09-2008, 06:47 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,842,837 times
Just live in Palm Beach Gardens. That is, if you've got the change.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:21 AM

896 posts, read 4,074,299 times
If he's actually working in Palm Beach Gardens, you might want to try Jupiter or Martin County (Stuart, Port St. Lucie). Both of these areas have great schools. Jupiter is very family friendly whereas Palm Beach Gardens is a bit more "busy". I'm not knocking Gardens -- it's great and if I was to move there, I'd definitely look at Mirasol or along Military Trail between PGA Blvd and Donald Ross. Stuart has an adorable downtown area and affordable housing. It's sleepier and a lot of families are moving that direction. Good Luck. Hope you enjoy the heat!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:23 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,556,994 times
Port St. Lucie would be a great place to live but you still have the commute (about 40 minutes to an hour). Depending on your financial situation, just move to Palm Beach Gardens (why commute if you don't have to)? PBG is pretty sleepy- very nice family friendly place and it's not nearly as 'busy' as all of the other places mentioned. I live out in the Mirasol community (over the bridge)-It's close to 95 and the turnpike so that's a HUGE bonus. Wellington is way to far out west for my taste- for someone brand new to the area, you may want to stick to areas that have close access to the interstate. Happy hunting!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,238,912 times
Wellington is a hop skip and a jump from the FL Turnpike, I can be at PGA Blvd in 20 minutes or so on the weekend from the new Southern Blvd Expressway to the Turnpike.

During the weekdays though traffic is heavy but still not SoCal levels.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:58 PM

Default Thanks~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Wellington is a hop skip and a jump from the FL Turnpike, I can be at PGA Blvd in 20 minutes or so on the weekend from the new Southern Blvd Expressway to the Turnpike.

During the weekdays though traffic is heavy but still not SoCal levels.

Thanks guys! This is really helpful! My husband's company wants me to come and check out the area to make sure I am ok with the relocation. I am going write down everything you suggested and check it out. Thank you again for taking the time for answering my inquiry. I have been feeling so lost since I have only been to Florida on vacation. You all are great!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:00 PM

896 posts, read 4,074,299 times
If your husband's company is flying you out to check the area, you need to push to have a realtor take you around. You have nothing to lost and spending at least one day with a realtor driving around area doesn't hurt. Whenever I move to a new area, I go out at least one day with a list of requirements: neighborhood, schools, price ranges that are MY ideal and compare them to what a realtor thinks fits my requirements. I get her input and then decide if the areas are the right fit.

As for family friendly areas, I'm going to throw out a couple of specific subdivisions that I personally know and enjoy (I have no idea what your price range is):

Palm Beach Gardens: Mirasol (newer), Ibis (older, western but very nice), BallenIsles (beautiful but $$$ and not too many kids), Evergreen, Old Palm (new and $$$). I've never been a big fan of PGA National. There area also a lot of small streets off of Prosperity Farms.

Jupiter: Abacoa (lots of different subdivisions within. My fave is Valencia but it's $$$), Fox Run, Whispering Trails (anything along Loxahatchee River Road), The Shores, Egret Landing (lots of families but I've never personally cared for it), and then there's Jupiter Farms if you want land.

Hope this helps you.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:48 AM

Smile Great Advice

We are actually going to be checking things out over a 5 day period so I do think I am going to have my husband have the corporate realtor show us around while we are there. The wish list is an excellent idea. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach