U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 02:28 AM

117 posts, read 221,706 times

Advertisements

I read with horror the recent front page of the Palm Beach Post about teacher Susan Oyer, and by implication an expose of the way teachers in PB County are protected when they act unprofessionally.

MY HORROR STEMS AS MUCH FROM THE NATURE OF THIS STORY THAN FROM WHAT MS. OYER DID. THIS IS A HIT PIECE!!!! I am shocked that the paper would publish front page, total of 2 1/2 pages of this terrible piece of journalism. THIS IS A ONE SIDED HIT JOB. IF IT WERE HONEST IT WOULD HAVE INCLUDED COMMENTS BY THE PRINCIPAL, THE SCHOOL BOARD SPOKESPERSON, AND THE TEACHER HERSELF. IT WOULD ALSO INCLUDE STATISTICS ON STUDENT DISCIPLINE, SUSPENSIONS, CRIME, ETC. There are very bad things going on in some schools. Maybe Ms. Oyer knows this and is disgusted. I am NOT defending her, just longing for excellent journalism.

Teachers in Palm Beach County are overwhelmingly hard working people who respect their students and who try to prepare them for the future. I know. I was one of them.

P.S. In September 2015 the Post published an article praising Ms. Oyer and her students for raising money to help Haiti and other underdeveloped areas. https://www.palmbeachpost.com/articl...news/812068268

Last edited by BillieUSA; Yesterday at 02:44 AM.. Reason: I was too harsh.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 5,475,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieUSA View Post
I read with horror the recent front page of the Palm Beach Post about teacher Susan Oyer, and by implication an expose of the way teachers in PB County are protected when they act unprofessionally.

MY HORROR STEMS AS MUCH FROM THE NATURE OF THIS STORY THAN FROM WHAT MS. OYER DID. THIS IS A HIT PIECE!!!! I am shocked that the paper would publish front page, total of 2 1/2 pages of this terrible piece of journalism. THIS IS A ONE SIDED HIT JOB. IF IT WERE HONEST IT WOULD HAVE INCLUDED COMMENTS BY THE PRINCIPAL, THE SCHOOL BOARD SPOKESPERSON, AND THE TEACHER HERSELF. IT WOULD ALSO INCLUDE STATISTICS ON STUDENT DISCIPLINE, SUSPENSIONS, CRIME, ETC. There are very bad things going on in some schools. Maybe Ms. Oyer knows this and is disgusted. I am NOT defending her, just longing for excellent journalism.

Teachers in Palm Beach County are overwhelmingly hard working people who respect their students and who try to prepare them for the future. I know. I was one of them.

P.S. In September 2015 the Post published an article praising Ms. Oyer and her students for raising money to help Haiti and other underdeveloped areas. https://www.palmbeachpost.com/articl...news/812068268
Very strange that you would complain about an article but not link it while citing an irrelevant article from 2015. Here is the Palm Beach Post article as well as one from the Sun Sentinel for anyone interested in reading about the subject. This does not seem like the type person whose judgement would be acceptable in many careers, particularly public education.

While I note that you complain about the article you neglected to mention the final sentence regarding Oyer which reads "She did not respond to a message seeking comment Monday." The Sun-Sentinel article, which paints a darker picture of this woman's history also states "Neither Oyer nor her lawyer could be reached Friday, despite attempts by phone."

I see nothing in either article that would appear to indict anyone but a single teacher with an apparent proclivity for failing to control her own public utterances.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/...ed/3999831001/

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/s...4ty-story.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
View detailed profiles of: