Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 12:45 AM

3 posts, read 1,729 times

Advertisements

Hello.

When I discovered how badly AT&T was reaming my 88 y.o mother for her landline service (who pays $50+ a month and doesn't even get long distance with it?!), I set her up with VOIP which involved a wired internet connection with Comcast. She was previously getting by with her living facility's free WiFi and it took some convincing that the overall cost would be less - $30/mth for internet and $16/mth for unlimited VOIP calling, which would also allow her a bare bones cell plan because she would no longer be using it for all her long distance as she had been (and the secure network would be a bonus!). I brought her my entire setup to assure there wouldn't be any equipment issues - my internet modem, my phone modem, right down to the very ethernet cables I was using and put her on the same Phone Power plan that had served me so well for so many years.

My only reluctance was putting her in Comcast's crosshairs, concerns that are now turning out to be valid - all kinds of billing and service issues are arising (anyone who's ever had Comcast already knows what I'm talking about), including robocalls requesting the return of equipment she's supposed to still have from a previous address - calls she was not getting prior to this. Bottom line - I screwed up big time, feeling horrible about it and now I have to fix it.

So aside from trying to get out from under Comcast's thumb without a huge cancellation fee, I need to figure out what to replace it with. Going entirely cell isn't an an option - she's too insecure about that. I was wondering if anyone has tried Ooma, Community Phone or other such providers that don't require a wired internet connection. And I'd especially be interested in any traditional landline services I might not be aware of. We'll go crawling back to AT&T if necessary, but $56 for local-only calling is an abuse of capitalism as far as I'm concerned. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn

Last edited by ElliesSon; 08-04-2021 at 12:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 02:13 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Look into Straight Talk which is actually cell service for the home, but you'll still need internet.

And turn off that bolding!

Old 08-04-2021, 12:41 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Landlines are VOIP for at least 20 years.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:16 PM

381 posts, read 279,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
not all we had a copper pots line in PBC until 5 years ago when we moved

Old 08-04-2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Where?

Old 08-05-2021, 12:40 AM

^ I very briefy had to validate NEC VOIP multiplexers in 1999. I used OOMA 6-8 (?) years ago. There was another brand heavily advertised on late night TV even before that. We had digital Xfinity 2 wire and Comcast cable at various times and appropiate equipment for the last 20 years. We never never subscribed to broadband TV although I was once associated with companies that help develop digital cable (early 1980's) and digital TV (late 1980's). We used Skype in early 2000's (a VOIP implemetation to talk to DS cross country, because it was cheaper than early cell phone and 2 wire LongDistance calling). More recent, I often use Alexa (Echo Show and Echo Dot) devices to make home outgoing calls (' unknown' is shown on receiving end). I once used Ooma then Alexa, to pair with cell phone-too many junk calls and too much maintenance on my part.
Location is the old Pacific NW Bell territory, Midvalley Oregon now Eastside Seattle.

Last edited by leastprime; 08-05-2021 at 12:53 AM..

Old 08-05-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
^ I very briefy had to validate NEC VOIP multiplexers in 1999. I used OOMA 6-8 (?) years ago. There was another brand heavily advertised on late night TV even before that. We had digital Xfinity 2 wire and Comcast cable at various times and appropiate equipment for the last 20 years. We never never subscribed to broadband TV although I was once associated with companies that help develop digital cable (early 1980's) and digital TV (late 1980's). We used Skype in early 2000's (a VOIP implemetation to talk to DS cross country, because it was cheaper than early cell phone and 2 wire LongDistance calling). More recent, I often use Alexa (Echo Show and Echo Dot) devices to make home outgoing calls (' unknown' is shown on receiving end). I once used Ooma then Alexa, to pair with cell phone-too many junk calls and too much maintenance on my part.
Location is the old Pacific NW Bell territory, Midvalley Oregon now Eastside Seattle.
So you're not saying that all landlines are VOIP, just some you're familiar with? That's quite different.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:29 PM

Let's me put it this way, A subscriber would be hard press to find a complete analog phone line. Analog phones and analog signal to headend or local box then digital.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:16 PM

381 posts, read 279,387 times
xx

Old 08-05-2021, 05:21 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,228,470 times
I just use Trac phone for $10 a month...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
View detailed profiles of: