Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 02:44 PM

53 posts, read 60,195 times

Advertisements

Looking at a move to Boca, but haven't been there yet.

What neighbourhood would be more down to earth if that exists in Boca? Also, which private schools have a welcoming, kind community?

Also, what is the weather like during the summer? I read it is a little cooler there than many other parts of FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 02:58 PM

Also, if not Boca, which other places would be more down to earth? Safe, family oriented with well rated private schools?

Old 01-05-2022, 03:49 PM

17,278 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Ok all of Boca is essentially "safe", down to earth is usually a trait found in East Boca vs. the country club stuff out west.

Private schools: non denominational or religious?

I'd buy a house in the best school district and skip the private school experience, save your money. I saw my first pound of marijuana in a private school parking lot and I graduated from a private high school in Boca. The private schools in the long run are never worth the costs, its a rich kid babysitting experience with big college promises and very few actually go anywhere prestigious.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:52 PM

Thank you. She's young in grade 2 and we are in private now so would prefer to continue. True, that sometimes it doesn't make a difference but in our case we see the academics to be more rigorous than in public. But that's in Canada. May be different in FL.

Would prefer non-religious.

What about the vibe? Are people all money oriented etc or there are some more down to earth?

Also, any other places that would meet the criteria?

Old 01-05-2022, 04:03 PM

17,278 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margekr View Post
Thank you. She's young in grade 2 and we are in private now so would prefer to continue. True, that sometimes it doesn't make a difference but in our case we see the academics to be more rigorous than in public. But that's in Canada. May be different in FL.

Would prefer non-religious.

What about the vibe? Are people all money oriented etc or there are some more down to earth?

Also, any other places that would meet the criteria?
St Andrews is non-religious and will take 30K a yr for your 2nd grader.

When inteviewing, ask where their graduates actually went.......don't fall for the "our class of 2021 were accepted at this list of schools"...........that is flawed, sure the valedictorian got into 10 schools, those 10 schools are on the list BUT the kid is only going to ONE school. My high school had a graduate go to West Point, another MIT yet 70 kids ended up at community colleges too. The 1 or 2 superstars load the "list" but reality was closer to the 70 kids in cc's

You will find living in Boca is a wannabe Kardashian lifestyle. Yes there is money there, but for every real millionaire you have 25 "thousandaires" that are trying to keep up the image. Playboy magazine once had an article on Boca scammers, guys that ran huge scams from stock fraud to healthcare frauds and called US1 from Palmetto Park Rd to Glades Rd "maggot mile"

Down to earth people will be a rarity.........I lived there for 17 yrs.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:38 PM

2,328 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Down to earth people will be a rarity.........I lived there for 17 yrs.
Would you consider Jupiter better in that respect?

Old 01-05-2022, 09:51 PM

[quote=City Guy997S;62642774]St Andrews is non-religious and will take 30K a yr for your 2nd grader.

When inteviewing, ask where their graduates actually went.......don't fall for the "our class of 2021 were accepted at this list of schools"...........that is flawed, sure the valedictorian got into 10 schools, those 10 schools are on the list BUT the kid is only going to ONE school. My high school had a graduate go to West Point, another MIT yet 70 kids ended up at community colleges too. The 1 or 2 superstars load the "list" but reality was closer to the 70 kids in cc's

You will find living in Boca is a wannabe Kardashian lifestyle. Yes there is money there, but for every real millionaire you have 25 "thousandaires" that are trying to keep up the image. Playboy magazine once had an article on Boca scammers, guys that ran huge scams from stock fraud to healthcare frauds and called US1 from Palmetto Park Rd to Glades Rd "maggot mile"

Down to earth people will be a rarity.........I lived there for 17 yrs.[/QUOTE

Thank you so much for your comment! It's candid and that's what I needed! Sounds like Boca isn't for us. Even though we could afford the school, we aren't into the vibe.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Would you consider Jupiter better in that respect?
I would. Could you share some feedback please on community, schools, friendliness etc?

Old 01-06-2022, 06:35 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Families don’t choose Jupiter thinking they’ll send their kids to private as the public schools are highly regarded in that section of Palm Beach County.

South Florida is warm year-round. If you live real close to the beach, the breezes help. I would consider Jupiter more laid back than Boca. It’s a growing city, but at it’s heart, it wants to remain a mid-sized beach town. It’s neighbor to the south, Palm Beach Gardens, is more glamorous, with high-end shopping and more fine dining options.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:13 PM

453 posts, read 300,999 times
[quote=margekr;62644599]
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
St Andrews is non-religious and will take 30K a yr for your 2nd grader.

Down to earth people will be a rarity.........I lived there for 17 yrs.[/QUOTE

Thank you so much for your comment! It's candid and that's what I needed! Sounds like Boca isn't for us. Even though we could afford the school, we aren't into the vibe.
So you chose Boca without ever being here now will rule it out just because of a couple of comments by strangers on the internet?

Why are you even moving here and what's driving all this stuff about kindness and friendliness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach