Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 09:36 AM

7 posts, read 10,276 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have scoured this forum for past threads and have learned a lot about the area, but still haven't seen a question directly on point about this before. Would greatly appreciate any thoughts from people who live or spend a lot of time in the area and have a pulse on how things have been changing!

Ultimately, I am in the market to buy a second home in Florida and my top requirements are (1) golf access, (2) relatively close beach access and (3) a NON-RETIREE vibe overall. I know that 3 is the ultimate rarity here, but because of golf I am not looking for the South Beach scene. What I'm looking for is a community that is not EXCLUSIVELY retirees, has some younger professionals and/or families here and there, etc.

Open to suggestions otherwise, but my research to-date has led me to believe the best value is to buy a golf course community property, instead of separately buying a beach condo and seeking a country club membership somewhere (though happy to hear other takes if anyone has tried the latter). At least to start while I'm still establishing some roots in the area.

So the TL;DR question is, does anyone know any golf communities with proximity to Delray Beach/Boca/WPB that have been attracting younger folks?

I am early 30s, single, and work in the Northeast. Not constrained too much by price at this point, and want to start shifting to more and more time of the year living in Florida. And not Miami Beach, because it's frankly a pain for getting around and golf. I know a lot of people my age and slightly older have been starting to do this, but not sure if there is a concentrated area that is perhaps a bit younger vibe than all of the retirement communities in the area.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,170 times
I think the reason you're not getting any responses is that your question might be too broad.

Old 01-09-2022, 07:57 AM

981 posts, read 899,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSnowbird View Post
Hi all, I have scoured this forum for past threads and have learned a lot about the area, but still haven't seen a question directly on point about this before. Would greatly appreciate any thoughts from people who live or spend a lot of time in the area and have a pulse on how things have been changing!

Ultimately, I am in the market to buy a second home in Florida and my top requirements are (1) golf access, (2) relatively close beach access and (3) a NON-RETIREE vibe overall. I know that 3 is the ultimate rarity here, but because of golf I am not looking for the South Beach scene. What I'm looking for is a community that is not EXCLUSIVELY retirees, has some younger professionals and/or families here and there, etc.

Open to suggestions otherwise, but my research to-date has led me to believe the best value is to buy a golf course community property, instead of separately buying a beach condo and seeking a country club membership somewhere (though happy to hear other takes if anyone has tried the latter). At least to start while I'm still establishing some roots in the area.

So the TL;DR question is, does anyone know any golf communities with proximity to Delray Beach/Boca/WPB that have been attracting younger folks?

I am early 30s, single, and work in the Northeast. Not constrained too much by price at this point, and want to start shifting to more and more time of the year living in Florida. And not Miami Beach, because it's frankly a pain for getting around and golf. I know a lot of people my age and slightly older have been starting to do this, but not sure if there is a concentrated area that is perhaps a bit younger vibe than all of the retirement communities in the area.

Thank you!
You might want to check out Palm Beach Gardens / Jupiter / Juno Berach / Tequesta area. A lot of families and professionals here - retirees too, but it just feels more like a mix. We just moved to Jupiter from downtown Delray and it feels less touristy, retire-y - although the miss vs. Delray/Boca is the lack of the downtown (although the plus of that is less of a tourist, more of a community feel). We golf a little, and I think the courses up here are a bit nicer too - and not too far to Palm Beach Island, WPB downtown, or Stuart for a downtown restaurant scene (although there are some great restaurants here too, they just aren't in a downtown area). The beaches are a bit more rustic, less crowded, and there are some really nice county parks. And the intracoastal is just fantastic - great water sports and the water gets this really bright blue and clear due to the proximity to the ocean.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP from Boca View Post
I think the reason you're not getting any responses is that your question might be too broad.
Hmm, in what way can I narrow it down? Just hoping people could throw out the names of a golf community or two where they know younger people live / are moving to. I’d imagine there’s got to be a couple close to Delray or Boca/Mizner given some of the changing age demographic trends in the area?

Old 01-10-2022, 07:04 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Hmm, in what way can I narrow it down? Just hoping people could throw out the names of a golf community or two where they know younger people live / are moving to. I’d imagine there’s got to be a couple close to Delray or Boca/Mizner given some of the changing age demographic trends in the area?
Broken Sound or Woodfield? Lots of families, not just retirees. Keep an eye on HOA and other fees, though.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Broken Sound or Woodfield? Lots of families, not just retirees. Keep an eye on HOA and other fees, though.
Really appreciate this, exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Had a friend suggest Woodfield so definitely will look, and will check out Broken Sound too!

Old 01-12-2022, 04:19 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,547,458 times
I’m a fan of Jupiter, myself. Wondering what your ballpark budget is. 300k, 750k, 1.25k, etc.? I’m an avid golfer as well and have looked over memberships nearby. It can get a bit pricey in this neck of the woods, but there are an alarming number of PGA pros who live and play there.

I’m still looking at the Gulf side, too.

Old 01-13-2022, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I’m a fan of Jupiter, myself. Wondering what your ballpark budget is. 300k, 750k, 1.25k, etc.? I’m an avid golfer as well and have looked over memberships nearby. It can get a bit pricey in this neck of the woods, but there are an alarming number of PGA pros who live and play there.

I’m still looking at the Gulf side, too.

I'm looking to spend under $750K on the property itself, since I only really need a 2 BR (3 BR max, and would be fine with a townhouse or condo). Goal is more of a golf-escape at this point than a very long term home.

Jupiter is great for golf, but I could see myself there in a decade or two. At this point I want to still have very close access to a lively downtown like Delray. Still considering an off-course condo in Miami or Delray Beach and just finding a golf membership somewhere...

Old 01-15-2022, 08:51 AM

17,294 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
I'm looking to spend under $750K on the property itself, since I only really need a 2 BR (3 BR max, and would be fine with a townhouse or condo). Goal is more of a golf-escape at this point than a very long term home.

Jupiter is great for golf, but I could see myself there in a decade or two. At this point I want to still have very close access to a lively downtown like Delray. Still considering an off-course condo in Miami or Delray Beach and just finding a golf membership somewhere...
Jupiter doesn't have many reasonable golf options. Yeah it has more PGA players living in the area than anywhere else on the planet but keep in mind they don't pay for memberships at any of these clubs like regular members do. They pay nominal dues annually but none of the monster initiation fees (50-75-100K+).

Boca West has 5 courses, you can get deals on the real estate there because the club dues are pricey (forcing sellers of lower end properties to discount the real estate). That being said it is an older Jewish club.
You won't find many younger clubs, young people rarely want to pay the fees involved with club membership.

25K asking price for a 2/2 foreclosure in Boca West
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M56260-50537
Note the disclaimer in the description:
Membership joining fees at closing are mandatory as well as annual club membership is mandatory when buying in Boca West

https://www.bocawestcc.org/

Old 01-15-2022, 10:14 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,547,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Jupiter doesn't have many reasonable golf options. Yeah it has more PGA players living in the area than anywhere else on the planet but keep in mind they don't pay for memberships at any of these clubs like regular members do. They pay nominal dues annually but none of the monster initiation fees (50-75-100K+).

Boca West has 5 courses, you can get deals on the real estate there because the club dues are pricey (forcing sellers of lower end properties to discount the real estate). That being said it is an older Jewish club.
You won't find many younger clubs, young people rarely want to pay the fees involved with club membership.

25K asking price for a 2/2 foreclosure in Boca West
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M56260-50537
Note the disclaimer in the description:
Membership joining fees at closing are mandatory as well as annual club membership is mandatory when buying in Boca West

https://www.bocawestcc.org/
Yeah. The surprising thing is it still might be worth it. The problem, of course, is if you have to sell it. It sure looks tempting to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach