Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2022, 02:38 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Going next weekend to Boca Raton to see my alma mater (3 degrees from there now!) UCF Knights, vs. the FAU Owls. It's the last FBS venue in Florida that I haven't had a chance to see a game in. I'm excited! And, if any of you happen to be FAU fans, and there is too much of a black and gold invasion... sorry. Hopefully most if not all of us are well behaved.

Anyhow, a few questions about the weekend.
1) I'm staying basically on the other side of the freeway (I-95) from campus/stadium. Don't want to share exactly where, but it's in the vicinity of Moe's, Five Guys, Seasons 52, etc. About a 40-45 minute walk. Is that a relatively safe walk to make both in terms of human safety on ground, and with having available sidewalk across the freeway, etc?

2) How are the FAU fans? I mean, I'll be honest, UCF probably has some obnoxious fans, though I'd say they are the minority, overall, just a passionate/spirited and growing fanbase, admittedly, esp so with recent success. Not sure if I need to be wearing neutral gear or be worried, or if it's relatively good natured/pleasant atmosphere in the stadium.

3) What is the gameday experience like? Any particularly good on campus eats specific to FAU? Any gameday or pregame traditions I should be aware of or want to check out in the stadium or around it? Is the FAU Sports Museum worth seeing and is it open on game days until 5 still?

4) Other info on food? I've heard about Mister 01 Pizza, and also Ramen Lab Eatery down in Mizner Park/Plaza Real, both look like cool spaces. Are either worth the hype? Or are they overpriced/not that great, and should I instead just opt for something simple in the walking radius like Moe's or Shake Shack or a couple slices of pizza from Whole Foods? Also, any particularly good Cuban or Colombian coffee/cafe con leche in Delray or Boca?

5) Not really a long trip-because I'm not sure family is gonna join, my goal is to have the entirety of my visit including sleep to <24 hours. That said, I don't get to this area that much, and have never been to Downtown Delray Beach. Was thinking about checking out Morikami Gardens if I got going early enough on Saturday and made good time, and, if the Fogelman Sports Museum is kinda meh.. I wouldn't allot that long for that anyways, but that's the only reason I'd aim to be on campus by like 420 or 430. Also, planning early Sunday before I head out to check out Gumbo Limbo Nature Center (if trails open early), and perhaps find a spot to watch the sunrise over the Atlantic there, and maybe spend a little time walking through Downtown Delray's commercial/downtown strip even though I imagine it would be pretty quiet Sunday morning. The other option is I may briefly go check out Downtown Delray post game depending on if I was awake enough.

Thanks in advance for any advice or answers to these questions! Go Knights, and Go Owls for the rest of their games this year (Taggart is honestly a great coach, and the only thing I'd be a little worried about for any true blue Owls fans out there, is that USF, I'd have to imagine that Jeff Scott is very seriously on the hot seat at this point with 1 FBS win in year 3, might remember the way that he rebuilt their program from getting dragged by McNeese State in his first game, to being a Top 20 team in all of CFB. They also might have an athletic department with deeper pockets than FAU at this point. Who knows, though...

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 09-08-2022 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 03:31 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
J Alexanders across the street (Whole Foods plaza) is good but upscale ($20 burgers/$45+ steaks, but salads are good). West of 95 on Glades will give you a bigger selection of food from I95 to the mall you probably have 30 restaurants within 3 miles of the stadium.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:02 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,198,364 times
Any reason why you want to walk? I see it’s a night game but you’ll need to change your shirt halfway into the walk, it will be so muggy.

The area is safe as far as crime, but there’s a lot of traffic. If you dress in your gold and black, you’re not going to be easily seen by drivers. You’ll also want a hit of oxygen after all this breathing of the traffic fumes.

Any way you can drive?

Old 09-09-2022, 06:02 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Any reason why you want to walk? I see it’s a night game but you’ll need to change your shirt halfway into the walk, it will be so muggy.

The area is safe as far as crime, but there’s a lot of traffic. If you dress in your gold and black, you’re not going to be easily seen by drivers. You’ll also want a hit of oxygen after all this breathing of the traffic fumes.

Any way you can drive?
That walk isn't terrible but there is huge traffic 24/7 along that route. I'd bet there will be other fans making the walk. I have seen the stadium from the highway but I have no idea how long of a walk it is from the front entrance of FAU on Glades.

The walk to the game will be ok, the walk home will S U C K but it might be faster than driving if the fans all try to exit at once.

See if the hotel has a shuttle bus or something to at least get you to the front entrance of FAU

Old 09-09-2022, 04:03 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
That walk isn't terrible but there is huge traffic 24/7 along that route. I'd bet there will be other fans making the walk. I have seen the stadium from the highway but I have no idea how long of a walk it is from the front entrance of FAU on Glades.

The walk to the game will be ok, the walk home will S U C K but it might be faster than driving if the fans all try to exit at once.

See if the hotel has a shuttle bus or something to at least get you to the front entrance of FAU
Agree, that walk will suuuuck. The stadium is actually way in the back of campus, closer to Palm Beach State College. So even once you're on campus, it's a hike.
Uber or drive if I were you.

Food? So many places! Check out downtown Delray Beach if u can. Cool vibe all around. and sorry, but go Owls!!

Old 09-10-2022, 08:52 PM

CityGuy997S:

Good point about J Alexander's, that University Commons strip in general appears to be about the closest option to campus, as looking at actual campus, the only thing I see open on campus on Saturdays for hot food is Chick-Fil-A, and it looks like that closes at 4. Honestly, I'm actually wondering a little bit about whether I could get away parking at University Commons if I were to eat at J Alexander's or Shake Shack in that plaza. That would almost reduce my total travel distance from 2 miles to 1 mile, and remove what I'd assume, going over the freeway, would be the most pedestrian unfriendly component. I've gotten away parking in similar contexts before, but then, South Florida is more urban in general, and every place really is different. No troubles parking at Sawgrass Mills the couple times I've been to Panthers games, but that lot is far larger-generally, if I do, I'll patronize a business in that area, and leave my receipt on the dash, not that that actually helps at all, lol.

From where I'm staying specifically, Google Maps suggested it was 1.3 miles along Glades from place to the entrance of campus, and 1.9 miles to the stadium. I do see sidewalk at least on one side of the street for the duration (the south side of Glades looks better than the north, as it is continuous even over the freeway, and a little more separated from the road).

That's part of what I'm thinking-avoiding having my car parked on campus, and getting stuck if I stay the whole game, since my way out is toward the freeway. What I did notice in looking at the most attended games in FAU history was the highest was not the stadium opener in 2011, or when they hosted UMiami in 2015, but when UCF came in 2019, which was above capacity. Because of that, and even though UCF now is coming off a loss, I do believe it will be a fairly popular game-a lot of my UCF classmates that I spent the most time around were from SoFla.

wizrap: Lol, you do definitely bring up valid points.

On the heat: Yes. I mean honestly, that is a core reason why I'm eventually looking to be a halfback or living somewhere with a more seasonal climate sometime within the next few years.

Driving: Totally valid too-I mean, what I'm encouraged by is that the sidewalk does seem to be grade separated most of the way and I can have my iPhone flashlight on or something, but I'm not saying that isn't something to be aware of-perhaps more so than the heat, and relating to the walk back more than the walk there.

As far as the exhaust-I totally get that part, I mean, I'll be honest, I did enough college runs on Stroads like Alafaya Trail in Orlando or Bloomingdale Ave in Brandon/Tampa that I kinda just accepted that as an unfortunate side effect-but I'm not denying it isn't great.

As to why I'd want to walk?
Few reasons:
1) Saving money-this one is perhaps lower on the list relatively speaking, but if I'm able to avoid the $15 (or more, I'm seeing $30 or $35 listed on close to stadium lots) for parking, I see that as literal sweat equity haha.
2) Avoiding traffic-honestly even if something ultimately takes longer by mode, waiting in traffic out of an event, esp if you are stuck in a parking lot and it's a standstill.. just annoys me. To me, being on foot solves that, but perhaps also, a midway point, like patronizing a business at University Commons and walking from there instead of across the full highway might be a decent compromise and keep me safer as a pedestrian.
3) Feeling-IDK, honestly, so much of my life at this point requires a car, so something about even for one night, being able to leave the car and complete my existence once driving across the state to get there, on foot, IDK, it just feels empowering lol. I love that feeling when I travel and experience walking to or from a place or taking transit, and I also feel like I'm engaging with and getting to know the place better then, and it gives me good thinking time.
4) Exercise/Fitness-IDK, it's a general quirk, I think largely started since I took up running at the beginning of my time in college a little over a decade ago, but even though I'm not nearly as much of one now, I still enjoy, esp. when traveling, walking or even light jogging distances to places as practical means of travel that I think for most would be unthinkable or way too far-as an example, I was staying in East Nashville/Five Points area in February of this year when I went to go see the Lightning in the Stadium Series/Winter Classic (such a cool experience), and on the Saturday of the game, I basically left my car in one spot and did everything on foot-the only non foot thing I did that day was taking the city bus from East Nashville to Broadway, and I actually walked the 45 minutes back from the stadium after that game ended (I was shocked to actually have company for most of that trip too)-in total, I logged 15.6 miles that day, and my feet were sore, but honestly, being that active was so empowering, and definitely part of the experience. Also, when living in Orlando and going to UCF, even for a number of those years, I lived 3.5 miles from stadium, I would go at least back from the stadium on foot if I came with parents or someone else, or, in a couple cases, both ways. Of course, that's a little different because I'm more familiar, and it was more of a residential 4 lane road rather than Glades which I'd assume is busier.

Of course, in this case, very different context for two reasons (brutal heat and humidity instead of 40 degrees with snow flurries), and, unlike walking back on a somewhat urban strip that only had 2-3 lanes for much of it, I'm guessing in this instance, we are talking more a 10-12 lane stroad with people zooming past at 55-60 or so in some cases. Like, I totally understand where you are coming from with your guidance, but I also really do just love walking, even when most objectively would describe it as not the most pleasant walk. I guess as a final reason, if I were to decide to imbibe for a drink or two during tailgate or game (not a huge drinker at all, so 2 would prob be absolute limit, esp since its hot) being buzzed would be less of a worry.

OptimusPrime69: Thank you! Yeah, I definitely get that, and that seems to be a prevailing sentiment-any free parking, perhaps even at PBSC? Or perhaps like $5 all day university guest parking or something like that? I park in the education lot at UCF for home football games since I know they do not patrol or ticket after 5-that walk is 22 minutes also, so about the same or perhaps slightly longer than it would be if I were to park at University Commons.

Definitely plan to-and I suppose if I am parked a little closer, I might be better served to maybe check that out postgame, or in the early afternoon before the game on Saturday. It looks like a really cool area.

Haha! Yeah, I have to be honest. I'm far less confident as a UCF fan than I was 48 hours ago. Major issues with kicking and punting, QB accuracy, and O-Line play (defense is fine, though pass rush could be better). If we don't do some major tinkering with the offense, 21-24 may be enough for FAU to beat us next Sat. That said, really hoping O'Keefe and Bowser are able to come back healthy and contribute-those two are potentially able to help us overcome some overall offensive dysfunction lol.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:17 AM

Is Downtown Delray Beach fairly safe, even at night like say, if I were to postgame around there from 11-12:30 or so instead of waking up early to explore?

Looks like downtown, in a sense, is a 15-20 minute strip running from where the library and the ATP Tennis Tour site is at the western end of it, to the beach on the east side of it-assuming that is a reasonably safe and active area on a Saturday evening?

Old 09-13-2022, 07:26 AM

In looking honestly (and maybe this type of ask/post is better suited to an FAU fan message board somewhere out there, but I don't particularly want to create an account on something like that just to post once), I realistically don't see how I'd have any issue with parking in that lot with the Whole Foods, Nordstrom Rack, J Alexander's, etc (that's not quite a mall size parking lot, but it's pretty close, esp if I'm patronizing one or more places there, and I'm only parked there from like 6:30-10:30 pm or so, and because that would save some of the walking time and not walking through the not great for pedestrians portion), I'm thinking a lot about doing that instead of the whole walk. Anyways, I appreciate everyone who has commented, and while it will be a short trip, I do really look forward to getting to see this part of Palm Beach County better than I ever have previously.

I'll leave you with this, of FAU's coach (then at USF). I can't help but burst out laughing every time I watch it, but then again, he DID get everyone in the right seat on the bus, at least at USF, perhaps he can do the same for FAU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3MOLaXBpcg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach