Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 PM

64 posts, read 281,869 times

Advertisements

I really wouldn't be too concerned. I haven't heard any negative talk about Oakmont Estates. I would say that most people probably don't know anything the soil problems. I don't think I have ever even had a conversation with anyone around here about the neighborhood at all. It is kind of tucked away and some don't know it's there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:56 PM

5 posts, read 38,914 times
I'm living there, and to be honest, once people see the homes, any concerns are out the window. Centex has done a great job of addressing the issue of the soil to everyones satisfaction including the state of Florida and the Environmental Protection Agency. My house is gorgeous and so far everyone we have met is really very nice. The location is another wonderful feature! Good luck everyone!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:17 AM

114 posts, read 449,066 times
As the OP I asked if anyone knew about the community b/c I visited it and really liked the homes. My family decided against buying there b/c of the soil and ground water issues. We currently rent in Wellington and like it alot. We also have 2 small children. In my view, while the prices of the homes seem like a bargain, I needed to take a step back and think about things. First, the homes we liked were origianlly sold in the $700-800K range and were now going for almost half that price. Sure the market has come down but not that drastically. In my veiw, these new prices reflect that there is a serious problem here and the builder knows it. I also think that this community is or will be stigmatized. What about the ground water? Plus, the majority of the community is not built and will not be built until all the constructed homes are sold - how long will that be, if ever? There is a manned gate with no guard and there will be no guard until all the homes are built. What about other amenities? Of course, I could be way off base with my opinions, but to me the pros were outweiged by the cons and there is so much to chose out there now. The homes are beautiful though.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:31 PM

3 posts, read 13,886 times
Bobstar, appreciate your honesty, but, you really haven't done your research.
The market has taken a downfall, and while there were initial "issues" with Oakmont's soil, there are no homes in Wellington that are brand new that come anywhere close to touching the finishes and the design features (that are not upgrades that the homeowners have to forfeit thousand of dollars over to get) that are found in the Oakmont homes. They sold for $800-900,000 initially, and are down considerably right now just to get over that stigma you brought up and yes, the downfall of the market. But, did you know that they have sold over 36 homes and are breaking ground right now to build 3 more models, and that in two months will start selling lots? The "stigma" has been broken, and they have over 20 residents that have taken occupancy in the last 2 months on top of people that have been living there before this. I agree with the post from wellingtonlover....she knows what is in her soil and its been tested and approved by the government...do you or I? How close do you rent to Oakmont? If Oakmont had bad soil so did most of Wellington. Do you think the little lakes and ponds that are in most communities were just there like they are today? Most of where we are living in Wellington was water or at least a swamp. If anything gets into groundwater, with time, rain, and displacement its dispersed for miles on end...I think the people living in Oakmont are the only ones that really are living on healthy grounds!!! More power to them! Wish I could afford them even at the reduced prices of $400,000-$600,000. Oh, and if anyone is wondering about the property across from Oakmont on the south of Pierson, this development lost their investor due to a BK...nothing to do with Centex or the land.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:35 PM

12 posts, read 87,957 times
I find everything I'm reading here very interesting. I've been renting in Wellington for a year now. I've only met nice people! I am very happy here so far. I do miss the northern spring and fall seasons and don't enjoy the crazy lightning and thunderstorms though!!

I saw the model homes in Oakmont Estates and really loved one of them. It had a lot of nice upgrades, but not overdone/"gaudy". I had a good laugh with my 5 y/o daughter b/c we actually got lost on the 2nd floor of one of the larger homes b/c I could not find the staircase back downstairs! It was just one bedroom and bathroom after another. Too much house for me!

I don't really know how much of the upgrades one would get in a newly built home. I know the salesperson we met told us that a lot of the homes that were already built had different types of upgrades in them. Most of them did not have pools, which in my opinion is a must living in SF with young kids, even if there is a clubhouse pool. It's great to be able to walk out your back door, onto a beautiful patio, and swim in the privacy of your own backyard. Swimming is one of the few things I find I can do outside with my kids in the heat except for in the winter when it gets cool enough to go to a playground. I don't know if putting in your own pool is a sound investment??? I've been told that you wouldn't get your money back in a resale.

As far as the soil and groundwater issues-- I understand what others are saying about knowing what's in their soil, etc. and yeah, that makes sense to me. Does anyone know why the soil was tested in the first place? Was it just b/c it was once a shooting range?

I do get a little nervous that the groundwater is still an issue. If so, wouldn't that contamination just seep right back into the soil? Isn't that the same water that will be used to water the lawns and landscaping (typical in SF if homes are watered from the "lake" water vs. city water), and if so, would pose a risk to children and pets that play on the properties? I don't know the answer to these questions.

Regarding the community and OE being stigmatized, I've actually had many conversations with people who own elsewhere and they all voiced comments that they wouldn't want to live there, etc. But that could be out of ignorance of the real situation.

I think that OE is presently zoned for the Panther Run elementary school which from what I hear is a very good school.

I guess I just get very nervous about the whole thing b/c one never knows what will happen 10 years from now--- I fear that my kids would get sick or something if I lived there.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM

17 posts, read 94,181 times
I was as hesitant as you are Joy and held the contract for few days, last Saturday I drove by the community and talked to a resident and shared my thoughts with him, he told me he had the same concerns I did but he did EXTENSIVE research on the matter, he put a cousin of him who is a geologist or something like that in contact with the County office that handles this topic, he reviewed all the data and after the long conversation he told the guy that there was no problem with the land (his wife is pregnant as mine is as well so our concerns were valid). I looked all over the are, went to all communities but believe me, the only one that we fell for was Oakmont, price is unbeatable, construction is excellent, I have researched Centex and it seems to be responsible builder. One last thought I would like to share, the builder was put on the spot because of the soil problem, I would doubt they would come up and offer the houses again knowing that anybody could have lot of ground to file a law suit should the tests were prove to wrong or not accurate, the whole subdivision is under the loop. Well, I already signed my contract and can't wait to move, I am sure we will enjoy many years there, let's keep in touch, it seems to be a very friendly and family oriented community.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 87,957 times
I just read what jmesa shared about a geologist getting detailed info. regarding the OE soil/water situation. That is very good news to hear! I am still just wondering why the land was tested in the 1st place? Is that customary for any builder who is building homes? I really liked that neighborhood too. I've seen many, many, many myself (looked at about 27 homes when I was searching for a rental). I've been in many of the nearby neighborhoods (Olympia, Stonehaven, Black Diamond, Isles of Wellington, Grand Isles, Versailles, VillageWalk) and none really interested me, except for VillageWalk. OE is definitely very lovely and Centex is a very good builder (have a friend who lives in a Centex home and says it's been great).

Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 15,595 times
Default Moving to Wellington soon

Hi all:

It sounds encouraging to take a look closer at Oakmont Estates. My wife is relocating for a new job and I will be looking for suitable employment. We are currently in the metro Atlanta area. If you hear of any open positions in Product Marketing, Product Development... let me know.

Thank you

Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 AM

114 posts, read 449,066 times
Thanks to all for such a great dicussion. While it is my opinion that OE looks like it will one day be a very nice community and the houses well built, I still have my concerns. A poster above raised a very important question - why was the soil tested in the first place? If it was just a matter of routine and every builder does it, then doesn't that mean these conditions, if they exist, would have been discovered in other nearby neighborhoods? I don't know the answer to that. Also, the state/EPA has not said the soil is clean, it is my understanding that they only said the contamination is at acceptable levels. That does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Keep in mind that the state of Florida sees nothing wrong with allowing its citizens to walk and drive around with concealed weapons. In other words, in my view, an approval by the state or its agencies only goes so far . . . It is also my understanding that Wellington may be allowing the the PBCC to build a campus on K-Park, the vacant land at the intersection of 411 and Pierson Rd., right down the street from OE. That will bring a lot of noise, traffic, and everything else that comes with it, right to OE's border. These, are believe, are issues that should factor into any decision about this potentially fine community.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 15,595 times
Default Question to Bobstar

What type of campus is going in at K park? Is it a commercial business campus or school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach