U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:22 AM

114 posts, read 411,736 times

Advertisements

Well, right now all I know is that the Village of Wellington just had a vote and approved the idea. Search the PB Post or Sun Sentinel's web sites for more detailed info. I think they are planning to build a campus for close to 3000 students . . .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,532 times
Bobstar you are right on the money. Since Oakmont Estates was formerly a shooting range, the state regulations do not apply. As far as other communities, well, as long as they were not built on a shooting range the soil must be tested, it's not an option. The state has no regulations that require Centex to report findings. You are also correct in noting that the soil isn't necessarily "clean". As far FDEP guidelines...Centex voluntarily reported the "acceptable" levels. They (Centex) are not required to report findings of any tests thereafter. While Oakmont Estates has beautiful models and great floorplans, anyone concerned about the lead/Arsenic issue should do more research with regard to what the state regulations are and what information is being volunteered. From what I have seen, Centex has been a reputable builder. Bottom line it may be a gamble, but if you really love the community drink bottled water, don't walk barefoot in the grass and don't worry about resale if you plan on living there for a lifetime.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:27 PM

Has anyone heard of Love Canal??? I know it's a bit of a stretch compared to OE, but the bottom line is that it was okay to build schools on that land, so why wouldn't the EPA say it's okay to build on OE?

Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 36,148 times
What is Love Canal? Never heard of it, obviously there is a story. Oh, and what makes you think that the EPA won't let anymore building at Oakmont? They just cleared land (before all this rain) to build 3-4 more models. While your posts seem like you want to like OE, your information is not accurate. Do you really think a builder like Centex would let people move into homes that could pose any kind of potential risk now or down the road? Can you imagine the legal ramifications? As someone who lives in OE, we know what the situation was, and we know what it is now. We did not sign any waivers saying that if we started sprouting a third arm 10 years from now that we couldn't hold the builders accountable. It was a minor issue. Its been resolved. Wellington was farm land at one point. Everyone needs to research that. Most of Wellington was farm land long ago, do you have any idea how long farm grade pesticides stay in the water table? Fact is, we all live on top of things we don't know anything about. Its what man has done to the earth.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,577,070 times
You can do a google search on Love Canal. It is about 40 miles from my NY home, in the Niagara Falls area. Back in the 70's it was the first big EPA has-mat type problem.......chemicals in the soil were getting people sick, cancer, etc....
The Gov't ended buying people's homes, a school, etc, and doing a huge cleanup.

One of the BIG stories back then....

Frank D.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 PM

This was such a good discussion, I thought I'd start it up again! Has anyone bought in this community? What are your thoughts? How about those that are already living there? How do you like it? Any issues with the community? I think they are having a big sale event this weekend.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 PM

162 posts, read 619,539 times
I've heard Centex is looking to get out of the SFL market so its no surprise that they've cut prices. There is a lot of good chatter on this community from those looking to buy lots. Good location, highly rated schools, next to dining/shopping.

I like the fact the finished lots are located in the back of the community and not in the entrance. HOA fees are around $300 a month if I recall correctly, with most of the undeveloped areas not requiring much maintenance.

Seems like this might be a good community to buy in right row. I do have concerns about the planned community across the street as it will be an eyesore for some time. You also might be able to find a bargain in nearby Olympia

Old 03-11-2009, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 11,821 times
Default Problem with Soil

Anything related to the soil has been corrected. The neighborhood is almost at capacity infact they'll be building spec homes as soon as this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelf View Post
I really wouldn't be too concerned. I haven't heard any negative talk about Oakmont Estates. I would say that most people probably don't know anything the soil problems. I don't think I have ever even had a conversation with anyone around here about the neighborhood at all. It is kind of tucked away and some don't know it's there.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,821 times
I'm with her!! We'll be moving in later this April....our purchase price is less than they could build the home today with over $50,000 in upgrades. I love the property/development and the community is one of the best in South Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellingtonlover View Post
We bought at Oakmont and will be moving in the second week of August. About 20 of the homes already built have been sold with another 6 on hold as of yesterday. There was a discovery of problems with the soil, but, as soon as Centex was notified, they corrected the issue, and have a letter that you can receive a copy of from the EPA stating that the problem has been resolved. All of Wellington was a swamp at one time. If the land that Oakmont Estates sits on HAD arsenic, then most of the land if not all of the land in Wellington has similar problems. I now know whats in my soil...does anyone else? My home at pre construction prices was sold for over $900,000. The original owners backed out. After the delay with the soil issues getting resolved, the housing market tanked. I bought the same house for less than $500,000, and again, I'm living on clean, EPA approved land. Hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:30 AM

34 posts, read 155,614 times
Default Oakmont Estates

Hi everyone!!

We visited Oakmont yesterday and loved it. We even left a deposit on a home there. I do believe the soil issues are resolved, but wanted to know if this was or is standard practice to test the soil when a new project begins. One of the earlier posters asked this question also, "why was the soil tested in the first place" Also, where there homes already built when the problem was found? If so how did they fix those ground problems? Has anyone had a problem in having a pool done? I ask because the saleswoman said something about it being allowed as long as the dirt is carted away and desposed of properly. I hope to get feed back about this community, good and bad. Of course I hope the good out weighs the bad as we really love the homes and want to finalize this. Thanks to all!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach