Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 11:14 AM

17 posts, read 48,394 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Delray Beach, Fl. Currently, I live in Gainesville, Florida, the home of the University of Florida. Gainesville is a progressive, environmentally conscious town that is very vegetarian friendly. I love the artsy, small town feel of Gainesville, and if job opportunities were better, I would definitely stay.

That being said, I have been looking to make a move closer to the beach for a long time and have considered jobs in Jacksonville, Boca, Tampa, Ft Myers and now Delray Beach. Of all the towns I've considered, Delray seems closest to what I want:

Beach community feel (prefer the east coast for the surfing)
Arts
Open-minded, progressive, environmentally conscious types (of course few communities are made up of one group, so I only want to know if there is a pocket of this in Delray)
Vegetarian friendly

Also, the job I am considering is on Hagen Ranch Road, and I definitely want to live close to the beach, so would the commute be difficult...

I guess overall I'm just interested in the "atmosphere" of the community especially for a single female vegetarian that loves the ocean!

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 05:35 PM

12 posts, read 51,661 times
Depending on traffic (never very bad) from downtown to Hagen Ranch via Atlantic Ave takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on traffic and how you catch the lights. So far I never seen traffic on Hagen Ranch Road.

Delray is a very nice beach town. There is a Nutrition Cottage on Atlantic that has a cafe and juice bar. Most restaurants have decent salads and non-meat selections.

I am married but I can tell you there is a pretty lively little night scene here. Especially when the universities are in session. There are also plenty of places for those of us a bit older than college age. Bars range from very casual sports bar and local pubs to fancy, classy places.

Beach is very nice. We walk there (about 20 minutes for us) every weekend. Very clean having grown up in NJ.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 70,576 times
We also moved down from Gainesville and of all the south Florida areas we like Delray the best. We live downtown, walking distance from the beach. I love being near the ocean and we often head to the beach in the evening for a cold beer and swim once my husband gets home from work. It doesn't get better than here during the winter! Delray has plenty of art galleries. resturants, etc. and there is always something going on, from Art and Jazz on the Avenue to various festivals and special events. You will find that all of south Florida except for South Beach, has many seniors. Delray is no exception, but later in the evening there are places that cater to a younger crowd, but nothing like Gainesville. It takes some getting used to.

The commute to Hagan Ranch is simple. You would want to take 4th/Lake Ida to avoid all the traffic on Atlantic. It is much easier than trying to get down Archer Rd. at rush hour!

As for vegetarian places, I don't think you will have a problem. There is also a great Whole Foods (amazing organic, huge grocery) and also a Publix Greenwise in Boca, which is not far away. There are plenty of artsy, liberal types around and Delray does have sort of a small town feel, again, although not nearly as much as Gainesville. We have managed to meet friends who were what we were looking for. We also have found a bunch of drum circles, if you are into that sort of thing. In short, I think you would enjoy Delray if you stay downtown, near the beach. You could also look in East Boca, which is just south of Delray. Boca has amazing beaches.

Liz

Old 07-11-2008, 10:29 AM

Default Thanks

Having read the responses, I feel much better about the prospect of coming to Delray.

My interview is Thursday the 17th and I plan to stay for through Saturday the 19th--next weekend. I've reserved a hotel on the beach so hopefully that will give me a feel for the area. I asked a couple of friends to join me, but they have to work, so I guess I am going to make the trip alone--a little scary

Any suggestions on how to make the most of my time there so I can make an informed decision about this job? Any must visit spots? Part of the problem is that I am still not used to going places, especially restaurants, alone since getting divorced last year. I think my main focus will be on trying to get a "feel" for the area and spending time at the beach--any good suggestions on where to go to the beach?

I have only been to a drum circle once sorta by accident (it started spontaneously at a vegetarian pot luck I was attending), but it was wonderful (I didn't play, but I sat and enjoyed it very much). I am interested in all forms of spirituality, so I'm glad to hear those opportunities are there as well. I have a friend that goes to Unity (or used to) and another that used to go to a Universalist group.

Thank you again for all the great insight! Maybe I will run into one of you!!

Laurie

Old 07-11-2008, 10:37 AM

Did you spend much time in downtown Gainesville? How long ago? I'm glad to hear that there is a younger crowd--and I'm not that young! 30s and 40s crowd is what I'm hoping to find. However, my mother is 76 and I will be bringing her with me, so she may fit right in as well

Are the drumming circles affiliated with any particular group? I am interested in that sort of thing, but I'm pretty shy and getting out there when you don't know anyone is pretty tough for me.

Anyway, thanks for your repy it was very helpful--glad to hear that the commute is better than Archer!!!

Laurie

Old 07-11-2008, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 70,576 times
I did spend lots of time in downtown Gainesville. I lived right downtown for a few years. I got there in 1998. I left in 2004 (yeah, easy Gainesville living sucks you in doesn't it!) to move to Orlando then down to Delray about 2 years ago. My brother also lived in Gainesville for about 6 years and just moved down here last year.

There are plenty of places for those in their 30's-40's. I am 33 and my husband is 29. We have a 20 month old so we don't out as much anymore but we still like to get out for adults only time once a week or so especially for some good food and beers! The drumming thing is at Kevro's Art Bar, a really cool little spot in downtown Delray. They do it on the first Friday of every month, and they also have fire dancers there, which is fun to watch. There is also a big drum circle at Lake Worth pier on the full moon each month.

I'd be happy to meet up with you once you get down here!

Check out Kevro's here: Delray Artist | Kevro Art Bar :: Where Is Art In Your Life? | Palm Beach Art Bar

Old 10-21-2009, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
I will be moving to Delray Beach next year and would like to be part of an African Drum Circle. I am currently in one in Wilmiington NC. Are there any natural food coops in the area, good yoga, a villlage of like minded spiritual people, Kirtans?

Old 07-24-2010, 12:25 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times
I also am vegetarian Is there many vegetarian restaurants or vegetarian choices there in Delray Beach or surrounding areas~? I am thinking to vacation there and wanted some info (see my other post Info Needed). Thanks

Old 07-24-2010, 01:20 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Default Lake Worth Natural Food Restaurants

Lake Worth isn't far from Delray and has a couple that are nice.

The Soma Center - Raw Food Yoga Center and Café - Lake Worth FL

Natures Way Cafe - Eat Well, Be Well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach