U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:56 AM

137 posts, read 702,996 times

Advertisements

Hi
Im wondering what Loxahatchee, FL is like. Ive seen some amazing properties, and Im just wondering if the area will be too rural for me.
How far away is shopping, restaurants, movies, etc?
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:57 AM

439 posts, read 1,650,339 times
I don't live in Loxahatchee but had thought about moving there.

It used to be where you really didn't have anything out that way. Now there are grocery stores and a few other scattered businesses and restaurants. I BELIEVE there's a Publix at Seminole Pratt and Orange, but I'm not sure. It is out there though. I've also heard there is/was a Winn Dixie out that way but don't know if it's still open. The majority of what you're looking for will be along Southern Blvd. I know that starting at Royal Palm Beach Blvd and heading east there are a number of places.

You'll find a LOT of things at the intersection of Southern and SR 7. Your closest movie theater will be on SR 7 between Belvedere and Okeechobee (behind Friendly's).

If I hadn't already become settled in the area I'm at now, I'd go live there.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:21 AM

247 posts, read 1,224,059 times
I lived in The Acreage for 10 years. Just sold it 6 months ago. If I were to stay in FL (I'm in GA now) I would have stayed there. Loxahatchee is a great place to live. There is a very expensive area by Lion County Safari. And a less expensive area in the unicorporated area known as The Acreage. We were actually zoned as West Palm Beach 33412 since we were east of Seminole Pratt Whitney Rd.

The prices have come down dramatically over the last few years. Used to be you couldn't touch a decent house for under $400,000. Now you can by a fantastic property for high $200's low $300's. Check on zip codes 33470 (Loxahatchee) and 33412 (West Palm Beach).

There are 3 Publix's very close. 1 in The Acreage on Seminole Pratt and Orange Blvd. 1 on Royal Palm Beach Blvd. And 1 on Northlake Blvd by Ibis Country Club. There is also a Winn Dixie shopping center further south on Seminole Pratt close by the High School. If you want malls, shopping, night life etc. You are only a 10-20 minute drive to Palm Beach Gardens, downtown West Palm Beach, and Wellington.

We did all of most of our shopping on 441/SR7 in Royal Palm Beach. But there are 2 awesome malls, 1 in Wellington and 1 in Palm Beach Gardens. There are also 2 huge movie theaters. A million shops and restaraunts.

If you have any other questions you can IM me. :-)

Old 07-22-2008, 11:17 PM

21 posts, read 68,175 times
Win dixie, blockbuster shopping strip within a 4 mile radius, publix and shopping plaza with restaurants and bar is within a 5 mile radius.. shopping in royal palm beach is about 8 miles away.
Wellington nearby.
Lion Country Safari one of florida's best attraction is in the area.
There are many churches in the area. A golf course. a Highschool that was built about 5 years ago(looks like new).. There are plans for more shops and condos to come in the area where the orange groves used to be.

All of that and it still feels like its a way from the busy/bustle of the crowded areas. You can escape to your 1.5 acre minimum retreat.

People there tend to make it their dream house and final destination.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:36 PM

119 posts, read 98,446 times
I’m curious to learn more about Loxahatchee, but I see that it is advised to use a current thread before starting a new one.
Can anyone tell me how Loxahatchee is in this current year of 2017. Thank you. And Merry Christmas

I am interested in a small self sustainable gentleman’s farm with considerable acreage.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:43 AM

63 posts, read 73,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf of Aden View Post
I’m curious to learn more about Loxahatchee, but I see that it is advised to use a current thread before starting a new one.
Can anyone tell me how Loxahatchee is in this current year of 2017. Thank you. And Merry Christmas

I am interested in a small self sustainable gentleman’s farm with considerable acreage.
I have relatives who live there and it's more less the same as previous posters said. You should be able to farm your own crops as the properties there are big.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:10 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,563,511 times
I have clients who live out there; lovely property. Large lots, at least an acre, some with ponds on them,huge homes, rural atmosphere. They have a garden where they grow herbs and veggies. Also buy freshly butchered chickens from a nearby farmer. Eating healthy and once home, stress-free from the big city life.

Two things to research--1. Alleged "cancer cluster;" IMHO this is one of the factors that caused a drop in housing prices. Nothing was proven, but some people still have concerns. 2. Future developments by Minto. My clients have concerns that the future communities will dampen the bucolic nature of Loxahatchee. So check out future plans.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:25 AM

13,522 posts, read 16,173,125 times
Wizrap is spot on, but not all the homes are huge, plenty of 1600 sq ft wood frame ranch houses out there. Here are a few concerns:

1. Ponds = house builder digs a hole on your acre property and uses the dirt to build your foundation on (so your house is the high spot on the lot). You get left with a swamp hole that some people actually advertise that you can dump debris into (concrete is a favorite) so by getting free debris dumped into your pond you are essentially filling back in it in. Rarely do people do it right, so it looks like a swamp with junk sticking out of the edges.

2. Laid back, rural living = sure but then again if your neighbors build a dirt bike racetrack in their backyard then you get to listen to it. My buddy had a neighbor with 50+ roosters in crates in his yard. Both dirt bikes and roosters are perfectly legal out there so be aware of what you are buying into.

3. Location = Everyone loves to talk about the freedom of their own land yet they spend 10-15-20 hours a week on the road stuck in traffic trying to get to/from work or shopping. 10 hours a week (low estimate) is 500+ hours a year in your car! Go 10 years and you just spent 5,000 freakin hours in your car!

Old 11-26-2017, 11:55 AM

781 posts, read 631,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf of Aden View Post

Big lot's, dirt roads, guns going off all hours of the night, snakes, flooding, 4 wheelers flying down the road, big diesel soot life 4 X 4, Swamp Buggies, Confederate Flags waving, no HOA, farming, less restrictions, dust and etc.

If you can deal with the above, then it's paradise and some of the homes there are nice and well kept, not junked up with anything, just big lots. Also not everyone that lives there fit's the country norm, many don't have chicken coups or swamp buggies parked in the yard or even attempt to garden or grow produce.

When we lived in the West Palm Beach Area, we knew people that lived in Lox. It was even more country back in the 90's that was when Wellington was the sticks and nothing was there, Loxahatchee was even more so far out and remote, Southern was a sleepy road with little traffic.

Over the years Loxahatchee has lost it's luster as population increased, maainly for being what many desire and it's only going to get worse with the creation of Westlake nearby. Palm Beach County will continue to allow development in the Western Communities since everywhere else is built out, this will equal more traffic on Southern Blvd and more retail, shops and restaurants coming in.

Minto Westlake

https://www.minto.com/usa/florida/s-...tion~2067.html

Old 11-26-2017, 05:41 PM

2,958 posts, read 1,974,150 times
Just go in the rainy season several times after big storms. Some areas in there you need a large 4x4 vehicle to pass when it is rainy.

Other points are on topic in this thread, both pros and cons.

Personally not for me. It is faux country. You're still pretty close to your neighbor, the roads in there can be terrible at times and the bugs can get really bad out there. IF I'm going to deal with the country BS I might as well have some real acreage and some real space to spread out. Not just slightly larger lots in a much ****ter area with dirt roads and flooding issues.

I wouldn't be on a well anywhere in SE Florida. Much less right there, that area has a lot of history
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach