Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,664 times

Advertisements

Hello, I wanted some advice on moving to WPB. I lived there for a short time (N. Haverhill Rd) back in 2001, it wasn't a good time in my life and it just felt like the right thing to do at that moment. Unfortunately things didn't workout the way I had planned and I decided to return to Jersey. I am now in a much better place and ready to buy & with the low prices I would like to get in before the market changes. I visit Delray, WPB & PBI usually in Dec, Jan & March each year & I know the area very well, but still unsure. My question is should I buy on Palm Beach Island or WPM, Delray's taxes are too high (for that I will stay in Jersey).
I am 35 (female) and not really into the club scene, I do however love upscale restaurants, wine and piano bars. I want to be in a safe area, but I don't want to live with seniors either. My other fear is the HURRICANES!!! (and I dont mean the bowling team..lol Any Honeymooner fans out there?) How do you Floridians deal with the high winds?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,000,699 times
stay in New Jersey....Florida is officially in a recession. Crime is more apparent than ever. Hurricanes will be more intense and there will be more of them and the market has a while to go before bottoming out. Early 2010 is when most analysts expect the market to bottom out. After bottoming out, do not expect it to start rising..it won't ! It will stay level for another 2-3 years after that and only then increase slightly every year.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:41 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,240,657 times
Ahem, well, some of us live in West Palm Beach and actually LIKE it here.

Palm Beach Island is always a great buy if you can afford it. There are actually beachfront condos in Southern Palm Beach Island right now going for the 200s.

As for West Palm Beach itself, Cityplace is always an upscale option. Contrary to assertions otherwise, crime downtown is DOWN 19% from last year.

Hurricanes are like this: If you're scared, hop a plane to New Jersey on Jet Blue for $70 and visit with friends. Most buildings have impact glass and/or shutter systems these days, and most Floridians don't evacuate unless it's a category 3 or higher. If you live on Palm Beach Island, however, you'll have to evacuate more frequently because it's a barrier Island.

If you're in doubt, you can always rent for a year and feel the area out.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:56 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,756,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Ahem, well, some of us live in West Palm Beach and actually LIKE it here.

Palm Beach Island is always a great buy if you can afford it. There are actually beachfront condos in Southern Palm Beach Island right now going for the 200s.

As for West Palm Beach itself, Cityplace is always an upscale option. Contrary to assertions otherwise, crime downtown is DOWN 19% from last year.

Hurricanes are like this: If you're scared, hop a plane to New Jersey on Jet Blue for $70 and visit with friends. Most buildings have impact glass and/or shutter systems these days, and most Floridians don't evacuate unless it's a category 3 or higher. If you live on Palm Beach Island, however, you'll have to evacuate more frequently because it's a barrier Island.

If you're in doubt, you can always rent for a year and feel the area out.
I agree with you. My 28 yr old son and his girlfriend love downtown WPB and I do too. They are in Grandview Heights right near Flamingo Park and haven't had any negative incidents. I love those neighborhoods there and the condos around City Place offer alot. Several that they looked at were extremely upgraded inside even though they basically were just a regular old condo. Several however had huge high ceilings depending on the floor of the building you were looking at. The buildings and amenities were nice. They chose a single house because of the dog being difficult to take down the elevator and out onto concrete several times a day. They also say the police that patrol around there are very nice and friendly. They walk their dog to Howard Park all the time, and exercise basic cautions like you would near any city. To the OP, everything you mention is available in City Place and you can walk to everything including Publix. The beach is very close, too.

But there's no reason to think about buying now especially if you're living in NJ. I just relo'd here from PA and wont be buying for awhile till I see what each neighborhood turns into. I expect City Place to keep getting "better" while the traditional So Fl single family neighborhoods (imo) might deteriorate some from what I've seen due to so many owners having to rent and not being careful about who they put in these abundant rentals.

You need to live here to decide. Sometimes small things are dealbreakers that you didn't anticipate and now with the housing market you can't just up and sell a place like before. You can also now a days end up with a depreciating asset in a neighborhood you don't like if you buy too quickly. I remember my mother and I were totally convinced she should buy oceanfront in Jupiter after spending years vacationing there. Until we actually spent time in a beachfront condo with the perspective of buying there. The constant noise of the ocean she found distracting, something we never would have predicted.... and ended up buying on the Intracoastal instead. It was much more interesting to see all the boating activity and it was calm and quiet. She also chose Tequesta which in the 70's had a bit more to offer her but would have been a town she ignored as a visitor. Just by example.

There are alot of good value properties available now but it's also buyer beware. And I believe the prices have further to fall. Move here, rent and get the feel for all the different areas is my advise.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,664 times
Default Thank you!

Thanks for the advice, I will take each into consideration.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:35 PM

937 posts, read 2,873,776 times
I also recommend staying in NJ. After living in Florida for 7 years it gets old.. real old...
If you are afraid of HURRICANES then do not move down here! Florida will for sure get hit with more hurricanes...

Old 08-09-2008, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 47,205 times
Hey,
I too am considering relocating to WPB. I live in Philadelphia now. I like the city and the surrounding area here, but I'm just sick and tired of the "northern attitude" and the cold weather. It seems to get cold here in October and it stays cold, rainy, and gray until June. I have the same questions you do. I'm not sure which area to move to. Everything in WPB seems like a great deal compared to the prices in Philadelphia. I really like a new condo development called "Cityside" near downtown. You can get a 2800 sq/ft condo there for in the $200s, orignally sold for $350 or higher. The only problem is everyone talks about the area like it is really bad and dangerous. However, after living in Philadelphia for 8 years, it seems minimal to me. You know what areas to go near and what areas to stay away from. In Philly you can have a $800K townhouse and in your back yard the ghetto. Does anyone know anything about "Cityside" and is the area really that bad? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 08-09-2008, 05:06 PM

792 posts, read 3,121,854 times
What about Jupiter and PBG are those nice areas? Conducting an exploratory search on move out of NJ, maybe to FL (Jupiter or PBG). Someone said taxes are high in Delray, but what about taxes in Jupiter and PBG? Does Jupiter and PBG at least have a little night life?

Old 08-09-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibausfa View Post
Hey,
I too am considering relocating to WPB. I live in Philadelphia now. I like the city and the surrounding area here, but I'm just sick and tired of the "northern attitude" and the cold weather. It seems to get cold here in October and it stays cold, rainy, and gray until June. I have the same questions you do. I'm not sure which area to move to. Everything in WPB seems like a great deal compared to the prices in Philadelphia. I really like a new condo development called "Cityside" near downtown. You can get a 2800 sq/ft condo there for in the $200s, orignally sold for $350 or higher. The only problem is everyone talks about the area like it is really bad and dangerous. However, after living in Philadelphia for 8 years, it seems minimal to me. You know what areas to go near and what areas to stay away from. In Philly you can have a $800K townhouse and in your back yard the ghetto. Does anyone know anything about "Cityside" and is the area really that bad? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
I answered your other post.

Just curious since I'm from Phila, where do you mean that you can have an 800K townhouse and your backyard the ghetto. Like exactly where? What streets? I really disagree with you on that....

ETA: What you're describing is more of a Florida deal with expensive homes near bad neighborhoods. There is an element of crime that you have to be aware of in WPB. Downtown City Place is a mile or three from a very bad housing project and sometimes there can be "spillover". Dunbar Village. But my son hasn't had any negative incidents yet.

Florida is not like Philly where your worst areas (north and west philly) are 20 or more blocks away. And the population density of Phila is high so that you're more "insulated" by large numbers of people downtown especially commuters and visitors. Down here, it's not as dense and the feeling is different. You have to live here to judge for yourself. There are alot of transients here and in Philly most people actually have some sort of roots there or moved there for a specific reason.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-09-2008 at 06:00 PM..

Old 08-09-2008, 06:04 PM

I googled City Side... Marina Del Ray Ln....directions to Dunbar Village and it's 2 miles. That would make it a no brainer for me. If I'm going to be near a bad area I'd at least like to live actually downtown not near the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach