Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:39 AM

19 posts, read 69,867 times

Advertisements

I'm almost laughing out loud reading your post. Not that it's funny but that I stayed up until 3am last night researching Raleigh, NC. I live in Jupiter, FL. I've been here 9 years and I'm a single mom of three kids. I moved to Jupiter, FL from Kansas City, talk about a change. Jupiter is a great place to raise kids, good schools, relatively safe area. Very family oriented. I live in an area called "The Heights". These are single family homes and one of the very few areas in Jupiter that isn't controlled by an HOA. It's just a block from Abacoa, where there are tons of live/work homes, Roger Dean Stadium and a skatepark. We used to have movie theaters in Abacoa but they have closed down. This area is one of the best to raise children. As far as the cost of living? Well, that's why I'm looking to relocate. It makes no sense to me to apply one entire paycheck a month to rent and housing? Well, as much like everywhere, most of the homes are in foreclosure, overpriced, etc....It's very expensive to live here. One thing you have to get used to is that there really isn't much of a middle class. It's poor or rich and then you have to deal with your children trying to compete. That's why I want to move my son to another state before he hits high school next year.

Stay away from Riveria Beach and areas of West Palm Beach. Jupiter would be your best bet, but like someone else said on here, come visit first. Our summers here are rainy....not the sunny Florida you read about and when it is summer, OMG! The heat!

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,426 times
Unhappy de ja vu

I dont know if you've made a decision yet "bored in raleigh" but please let me introduce myself.

I am a native New Yorker, born to bi-racial parents, raised in Brooklyn in the 60's-90's, as Park Slope was the ONLY area that could deal with my parents at the time, (that was.....interesting lol).

I have been to 27 of the 50 states and lived in 13. I have 2 teenage children, also bi-racial.

We moved to Cary in 2004 after my divorce. I did MONTHS of research before making the decision as my family and friends are scattered all over the country, none of which are here. We chose this area thinking that intelligence sees no color (IBM,Sisco,Glaxo etc.) so there would be a good mix (racially). The cost of living suggested a variety of socioeconomics. The schools presented themselves as "top notch". The hour+ to the beach and hour+ to the mountains sounded appealing. It seemed like the right place to raise kids and step back from the craziness of urban living.

And then of course there was the "southern hospitality".

I can honestly say I totally understand your boredom. There are things to do if you have the money to do them. There is still very much a racial divide. If you want to see people of color, go to Durham. Otherwise....good luck. The school system is a joke as you said in regard to the constant shifting. If your kids are having a hard time in elementary school, just wait until high school. My elder has been to 2 different ones and he's a sophmore. With more shifting on the way. Drugs. They are teenagers. There will be drugs. (Get over that). The hour+ to the beach.....yeah right. More like 2 hours and once you get there you can only PAY to go to the museum or shop in the stores. All 3 of them.
Cost of living. Last I heard Wake County was raising their taxes. AGAIN. You can buy for less than 250k but you WILL pay. One way or another. (And dont buy specifically for a school zone. BAD idea). Of course you have great colleges but the cost of those as well are on the rise and if there is nothing to do that doesn't require me giving my 16 year old a license (not happening) there is still the issue of their boredom.

And then theres the southern hospitality. Or should I say lack there of. There are pockets of people that dont seem to care where your from and actually are friendly but I have found almost ALL native southerners here HATE the DAMN YANKEES that have come her and messed up their lives. AGAIN!! Messed up the traffic, schools and cost of living. ( Get over that. You lost the war!!!).

So I am in a quandry. Stay or go? Better elsewhere or more of the same?

We have friends in Florida and have been seriously thinking about that for the same reasons you seem to be. But I am cautious.

Does anyone out there have any input?

I realize that nothing is perfect but I would like to get as close as I can, in this life.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:29 PM

131 posts, read 445,843 times
wow congratulations on your move to NC! Wake Forest has really built up....a few years ago, they didn't have any of those shopping centers. It's also gotten very pricey out there the last 3-4 years compared to what it was, even the rental market is high. I'm glad to hear that you are happy though!!

I also took the trip down to FL for almost three weeks over Christmas....and I thought i was going to like it more than I actually did. The weather was great....and Jupiter beach was beautiful. The houses are better made (concrete blocks, etc.) than in NC. I guess I was a little disappointed in driving through the neighborhoods...everyone's houses are on top of each other...(unless you want to pay an arm and a leg)...and there are so many apartments/condos (sorry...i'm a single family home person). We went on Jupiter Island and i was surprised to see all the mansion homes are secluded you can't even see your neighbors!! We also went to WPB and went to the ritzy part, and i really was just not impressed like i thought i was going to be.....

I was looking for work while I was there, and I don't think I could find anything over $11.00/hour. I went out to Tradition in Pt. St. Lucie, and liked that immediate area, but did some research on the schools and most have poor ratings...not to mention (again) wages in that area average about 10 bucks an hour unless you have a medical background....I was very disappointed. The main thing i did notice was that you can get some homes in FL for about half price....there were model homes selling in Tradition that weekend for $220K that were absolutely beautiful. I'm sure once the companies move into that area like they are supposed to in April 2009 everything will skyrocket....

Yes there are more jobs in Raleigh, but competition is SO fierce...so being unemployed is being unemployed, wherever you live. The unemployment rate in this area is almost 10% now, probably is nationally as well, as our country is in a mess economically.

Utilities are utilities everywhere. My frikkin electric bill here in NC was almost FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS this month!!!....it was a very cold month here in Raleigh (snowed twice) and when it drops below 30 degrees, these crappy "energy efficient" really-not-and-thrown-up-in-two-weeks-plywood homes (even though NEW) don't hold up....so what's the difference in paying a high electric bill for heat or for air? Plus Progress Energy here had almost 15% rate increases. Hey as a matter of fact, I was gone from NC for THREE weeks in the same billing cycle, turned ALL of my breakers off except the one to the kitchen for my frig....and came back home to a $212.00 ELECTRIC BILL!!!!!! Helllooooo.....we weren't even HOME (went to GA before hitting FL)!!!! So there was NO HEAT RUNNING...it was 44 degrees in my house when we returned in January!!!!! It's ALL a racket!!!! So I called the electric company and asked them to replace my meter and they said, and I quote,: NO!!! (keep in mind, my house is four years old). They get the $ because they can, monopolies, no competition, and that's in NC and FL.

Jupiter is a very nice area....but I didn't visit in the summer either so I can't say I experienced the blistering heat....and I am not operating off a retirement income so I would need to work to support my family. I'm sure when my four children leave the nest, that may be the place i run to....hopefully I can still afford a one bedroom there then...and at least get a job at Walmart?? :-)

Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 PM

ONTHEHUNTX:

Have you thought about moving OUT of Raleigh and into Johnston County? The commute...well, it's going to be there. I lived in Wake County until 2006 when I relocated to GA, then came back very end of 2007, and decided to move to Johnston County (Clayton) because I didn't want my kids back in Wake County Schools....and I'm so glad I did that. Yes I'm 4 miles from downtown Clayton in s/d called Riverwood....but the traffic going out to 64, Knightdale, or 70 is not as bad as I thought it was going to be.....only drama is: DEER. They're all over the place out here (including in my windshield....one ran right into me in Nov. in the daylight, unavoidable!) Yes it's boring. This area is NOT NYC or Hot-Lanta GA.....and yes, you may want to think about finding some place before your child gets into high school....or at least no later than 9th grade year unless your child ends up hating the h.s. And YES you have to drive every flippin where it's awful....nothing too centrally located here in NC, really anywhere.

All of my children (6) are multiracial and i was originally concerned about moving to Johnston County, as Smithfield was the KKK capital of NC (and still has activity); however, there are so many diverse people moving out to Johnston County now that Clayton HS reminds me of Cary HS when my oldest son went there in 2003-2004. My son is in the 9th grade here at Clayton High, and really likes it....yes there are drugs everywhere; however, he claims that many students are not into that....and he has seen many of his old friends from Garner, whose parents didn't want their children to go to Garner High (a/k/a non-affectionately as Ghetto High), so they moved out to Johnston County. It's been almost like a reunion...lol They went to Riverwood Middle School last year, and I still have a son at Riverwood this year, and I have had positive experiences with Riverwood...both MS and Elementary, where my daughter goes. Can't tell you anything else about the other schools in the area, sorry.

It's hard to find the ideal place......and everyone has an opinion about everywhere and they're all different. It costs to have fun everywhere. I think the only community I've heard of thus far is Charleston, SC, where they have a lot of free stuff for children....but my old boss just relocated there and says traffic is a nightmare....so there are good and bad with everything. My priority is making sure that my children are in decent schools and are not being racially discriminated against or abused in any way. Their safety is my first concern; my social life (or lack thereof) is my last. And since I don't have one AND suffered a job loss in Oct,, I started Grad School....sometimes you do what you have to do or take advantage of "free time" right??

Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 PM

p.s. oh yea i forgot to add that when i visited Jupiter, TWO of my girlfriend's neighbors came to her in tears because they got foreclosure notices posted on their front doors!!! They were being evicted because the owners of the units they were renting obviously had not been paying the mortgage (or couldn't meet the mortgage) and the units were getting foreclosed on...with THEM and their FAMILIES IN THEM....AND THEY HAD JUST PAID THEIR RENT!!!!! So RENTER BEWARE....especially someplace like FL where properties may have been purchased at a much higher rate; therefore, mortgages are not being met!!!! Here in Raleigh, not as bad....although the rental market has skyrocketed according to my old real estate agent.... Just an FYI....before relocating to FL, my girlfriend asked to see her landlord's mortgage payment statement for the year....AND wrote a clause in her lease that should he fall behind on a mortgage payments, she can immediately break the lease. Since she knew he is taking a $100/mo. loss renting to her, she wants to make sure he's on the up-and-up. I don't think you can make someone disclose that information to you, and it may be hard to tell....but it's worth it to try. The huge benefit of renting first is that you can determine whether or not you like the area....

Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 PM

I lived outside of Jacksonville, FL....and you do NOT want to live there unless you are rich and can afford private school. The traffic is HORRENDOUS, the school systems have regular SWAT team engagements, and even through Orange Park and beyond, the homes are piled on top of each other, traffic is awful, streets are too small, and CRIME IS OFF THE CHAIN!!! One of my best friends was born and raised in Jacksonville, and had wonderful childhood memories, but moved out five years ago because she said it was rapidly crumbling....as many of the military people live outside of Jacksonville (on the other side towards St. Augustine or across GA border in Camden County, GA). Trust me: you do NOT want to live in Jacksonville unless you are RICH. Go online and watch their news every day for a few weeks....you'll see what I mean....it's like a little NYC....multiple murders almost every day....

Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 AM

263 posts, read 574,617 times
Definitely sat in Raleigh and away from places like S FL, Tampa, Orlando, Jax. Too much crime, traffic, no sense of community (for most part). Raleigh has better schools, the people are by far much friendlier (in general), and you get 4 seasons. It's soooooo hot here in all of FL for a large part of the year. It gets old.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:10 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,456 times
I have JoCo on my radar too. I've visited once and my husband has visited twice. We both love it and can't wait to be there permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleighorr View Post
ONTHEHUNTX:

Have you thought about moving OUT of Raleigh and into Johnston County? The commute...well, it's going to be there. I lived in Wake County until 2006 when I relocated to GA, then came back very end of 2007, and decided to move to Johnston County (Clayton) because I didn't want my kids back in Wake County Schools....and I'm so glad I did that. Yes I'm 4 miles from downtown Clayton in s/d called Riverwood....but the traffic going out to 64, Knightdale, or 70 is not as bad as I thought it was going to be.....only drama is: DEER. They're all over the place out here (including in my windshield....one ran right into me in Nov. in the daylight, unavoidable!) Yes it's boring. This area is NOT NYC or Hot-Lanta GA.....and yes, you may want to think about finding some place before your child gets into high school....or at least no later than 9th grade year unless your child ends up hating the h.s. And YES you have to drive every flippin where it's awful....nothing too centrally located here in NC, really anywhere.

All of my children (6) are multiracial and i was originally concerned about moving to Johnston County, as Smithfield was the KKK capital of NC (and still has activity); however, there are so many diverse people moving out to Johnston County now that Clayton HS reminds me of Cary HS when my oldest son went there in 2003-2004. My son is in the 9th grade here at Clayton High, and really likes it....yes there are drugs everywhere; however, he claims that many students are not into that....and he has seen many of his old friends from Garner, whose parents didn't want their children to go to Garner High (a/k/a non-affectionately as Ghetto High), so they moved out to Johnston County. It's been almost like a reunion...lol They went to Riverwood Middle School last year, and I still have a son at Riverwood this year, and I have had positive experiences with Riverwood...both MS and Elementary, where my daughter goes. Can't tell you anything else about the other schools in the area, sorry.

It's hard to find the ideal place......and everyone has an opinion about everywhere and they're all different. It costs to have fun everywhere. I think the only community I've heard of thus far is Charleston, SC, where they have a lot of free stuff for children....but my old boss just relocated there and says traffic is a nightmare....so there are good and bad with everything. My priority is making sure that my children are in decent schools and are not being racially discriminated against or abused in any way. Their safety is my first concern; my social life (or lack thereof) is my last. And since I don't have one AND suffered a job loss in Oct,, I started Grad School....sometimes you do what you have to do or take advantage of "free time" right??

Old 02-24-2009, 09:03 AM

Come down for a weekend and visit the neighborhoods. It is like country living to a certain extent. A lot of the neighborhoods are controlled by HOAs and they have stupid rules. The beauty is that there are country spots and residential spots so you should be able to find your speed here. IF you should go into Wake County, try to stay near Cary HS/Dillard Drive MS and Dillard Drive Elementary. They were very good schools; however, they have a busing issue in Wake County, and the only way you will get real answers is to call them and get names, etc. of the people you talk to. I went on the website bc i saw a nice house for rent in Cary at a great pice, and realized that even in that area of Cary that I was familiar with (around Walnut Street/Buck Jones Rd. area), one of the middle schools is traditional, and the other one a mile or so away is year round...same with many of the schools in Wake County..... You'll have to think about how many kids you have, and if you want one in traditional and one in year round, etc. Cary HS and Dillard Drive schools were great schools. STAY AWAY from East Wake HS, Garner HS & MS, E Wake Middle School, Knightdale HS, they're all bad bad bad. And MAKE SURE you get copies of the HOA rules BEFORE you move in. There's a new guy they hired that goes around Riverwood that is being a total jerk...he gave me a $25.00 ticket the other day because my kids left a bigwheel and a scooter in my front yard, told me it's not "consistent" with the image of Riverwood, and that i needed to move my childrens toys to the back yard!!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:00 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,314 times
Folks,
This is a Florida forum.
Let's keep it there, or the thread is closed.
you are free to discuss S.C. in the S.C. forum.

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach