Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM

895 posts, read 4,237,069 times

Advertisements

I think I've read comments about hurricanes on other threads but I'll throw my opinion here too. If you move to south or west Florida, hurricanes are a fact of life. Some years, they really suck. Other years, there's just a couple scares and you get on with it. Though stressful for us adults, my kids have always seen it as a camping adventure. If we had moved back, we would have DEFINITELY purchased a generator. Being without electricity is one thing but refrigeration comes in handy sometimes. Fortunately, we've been lucky during every hurricane while we lived there. We evacuated each time there was a hurricane because we lived in a flood zone. We "vacationed" in Tampa, Orlando, Miami and even flew north one time. Most other times, we would stay in my mom's house (newer construction more inland in Palm Beach Gardens) and then figure out which family member did better (usually my grandfather in West Palm Beach) and then we'd go to their house until our electricity was restored. During the day, we'd clean up our house and then we'd eat and sleep at my grandfather's. Once electricity was running in some areas, we'd even go out to eat at restaurants with limited menus. The good thing is that you get a few day's heads up and you are able to plan accordingly. If you are a go with the flow family, hurricanes won't bother you. Now, clean up is another story. That is just not fun. I can't tell you the amount of times we replaced our screens to our pool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 40,499 times
Hurricane damage to landscaping, HOA costs, pool screens...yikes! Lots of expenses I hadn't even thought about! Hmmmm...

Still - the call of the beautiful beaches can be quite compelling!

I'm still not giving up on the idea of jump'n to Jupiter yet -- keep those comments coming everyone! Thanks!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:43 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,281,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored in Raleigh View Post
Hurricane damage to landscaping, HOA costs, pool screens...yikes! Lots of expenses I hadn't even thought about! Hmmmm...

I'm still not giving up on the idea of jump'n to Jupiter yet -- keep those comments coming everyone! Thanks!!!

Depends on what area you end up moving to. Jupiter has a number of really neat neighborhoods.

If you like some land, check out the Jupiter Farms area, or Palm Beach Country Estates area. These areas won't have the HOA restrictions that come with other places. Best of all, you're really never more than like, 15 minutes from the beach, even out in Jupiter Farms.

If you like planned, new urban communities, check out Abacoa in Jupiter. Lots of kids in that development. There's an HOA, but it's all recent built construction which should do well in hurricanes.

There are also the typical gated subdivisions, as well as some older "in town" neighborhoods. Finally, you have areas closer to the water (though 500k w/ 4 bedrooms and a pool may not be doable).

Old 09-03-2008, 10:29 AM

439 posts, read 1,741,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored in Raleigh View Post

I've lived in Florida all my life and rarely go to the beach. I have absolutely no interest in the crowds.

I went to the Outer Banks last Thanksgiving and had lots of fun being at the beach. Obviously I didn't go swimming, but it was just peaceful being out there compared to how it is here.

We had hoped to move to the Raleigh area this past summer but it didn't work out. So we're hoping for next year.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 AM

13 posts, read 63,458 times
I have owned two homes in Jupiter Farms and enjoy the lifestyle there. Both homes were on 1.5 acres and had pools. It is an equestrian community and couple miles west of I-95. Take Indiantown Rd to Jupiter Farms Rd and turn left. There is a nice English Pub a mile down on your right.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:13 AM

24 posts, read 66,323 times
I lived in the PBG area and the Jupiter area for about 15 years.
The beaches are typically not crowded at all. Despite all of the people coming into the area.
The locals are so spoiled they hardly go to the beach ! Seriously.
Except when your younger to drink beer LOL

Seriously though as someone who grew up in South Florida, its kind of a weird place for kids.
The mix of Northern transplants, Retirees, Haitian/cuban refugees, and heavy gangster rap culture make for some strange times.

The drug culture is really big there. As a kid its hard to avoid. Honestly.
Its everywhere. Its crazy.

Having said all that we are considering moving back to the area...lol.
Its a really beautiful area.

House prices are really cheap right now, since they are pretty much overdeveloping big time.
You can get a great new house...but there is a chance you may not make much $$ from it.

My mother bought a place for $350,000 5 years ago in Palm Beach Gardens.
Its now worth $300,000.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,134,910 times
Well, South Florida will definitely be a change of scenery for you.

Re whether Jupiter is safe and has good schools, the best you can do for those things is look at the statistics, which are easily available online by doing a Google search. I'm of the opinion that relying on statistics for those things doesn't actually tell you much, but your only other choice is to rely on anecdotes, and you're going to get many opinions that are the complete opposite of each other there. The only way you're going to know for sure whether you feel safe somewhere is by spending some time there yourself, and depending on what you care about when it comes to schools, you'll probably only get an answer by sending your kids to the school.

You can definitely find something in the Jupiter area for the amount of money you want to pay. However, note that Jupiter tends to be one of the more expensive areas of Palm Beach County. You could find a lot more house and a lot more property for that amount of money in other areas of Palm Beach County.

Also, partially because I'm struggling with issues related to this myself at the moment, I always wonder when I see posts like yours why you do not mention your employment needs. Are you independently wealthy, or do you have a job where you work at home and can live anywhere you'd like? If someone in your family will need to get a job and commute to it, that needs to be a major factor in where you choose to live. There are many places in South (and Central, or wherever you may be interested in) Florida where it is much easier to find work than in the Jupiter area, because Jupiter is relatively small. It's also going to be a traffic-laden hike from Jupiter to many locations where one would be likely to find work, and keep in mind that Palm Beach County tends to have higher rates for gasoline.

. . . there are many places that I'd like to live where I can't practically choose to move (especially out West--in rural Wyoming, Utah, etc.), because I have no idea how I'd be able to acquire an income there, or afford the time and money to commute far every day.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 PM

9 posts, read 40,499 times
Hi Tungsten Udder & Seattle PT~

Thanks so much for your imput!

While I WISH we were independently wealthy - my husband can work from home, although he'd probably like to find a shared office somewhere, so I don't think commuting at this point is much a of concern - although he will likely have to travel back by air a bit out of WPB. I have been a SAHM, but will probably want to start breaking back into the working world. I can also freelance from home for a while as well.

The drug/gang thing for teens is definately something that scares me - plus I've also heard that kids just "grow up" faster in S. Fl. In Raleigh, at least our experience up til now, we've been able to keep our children fairly sheltered. This could be looked at as both a good thing - or a bad thing! When my daughter enters high school next year, she may be in for quite a shock!

It seems that while that there are less expensive areas around - because Jupiter is higher priced - I'm hoping that perhaps the schools will stay strong longer. You are right, though, about having to check it out in person. That is really important! We need to see if we think our kids will fit it and if they get a good feeling from the other students. We hope to go down sometime this winter during the school week and bring the kids along to check it out...

I'd love to hear from anyone who might be able to tell me what the community feeling is like. Does it feel welcoming? Are the teens friendly and kind to each other? Is it "cliquey" for kids - and adults? Are people friendly in the stores? Do drivers let other drivers in and out of traffic? Is there a real sense of community or does it seem like a tourist town?

Also -- I keep hearing how expensive it is! How much do you really need to have in Jupiter to live a comfortable and busy life?

Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:57 PM

90 posts, read 192,886 times
jupiter/pbg/stuart are nice, but those are "pockets" of nice places in s fla to live. generally speaking, raleigh is a nicer place to live than south florida, by far in my opinion. and, we moved back to fla (from nc) and we go to the beach just a handful of times per year... even though you may seem bored in raliegh, the only other thing we have is the beach.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:49 PM

24 posts, read 66,323 times
Didnt mean to scare you.
Its an odd culture...south Florida.
Turn on COPS .....90% of the time they are in S Florida ! LOL

Jupiter is very nice actually. A somewhat laid back beach culture kind of vibe there. Mixed with a dash of North East intensity.
Lots of retirees...and families. Its really not too bad an area.
The beaches are beautiful. Hope you dont mind seaweed though.
The people are generally very welcoming.
Many are fellow transplants.

The drivers? Well...youve got the old retired couple going 20 in a 40, and youve got the NY transplant doing 60 in the 40.
I honestly prefer it to Seattle though where everyone goes about 20 under the speed limit.

I think you would like Jupiter. Most people do. Palm Beach Gardens is also very nice. Although I cant think of a scenario in either of those places where you would walk to the local grocery store etc.

For one everything is pretty spread out. And second, its really hot !

Good luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach