Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:20 AM

131 posts, read 444,169 times

Advertisements

ha that's funny you say that because i was thinking the exact same thing, Bored in Raleigh. My best friend is from Jupiter, moved up here to Clayton for two years and was MISERABLE,....they have since relocated back down to Jupiter this past summer and are hounding me to move down there. She has been very honest with me, as we've discussed this at length, and I'm actually going down for 2 weeks in Dec. to see what I can see and get a flavor for the area.

Some of the things she has said (living there for the last 10 years+ in the Hobe Sound/Tequesta/Jupiter area: High water bills if you don't live in a condo/townhome where water is included. My issue: I'm in a single family home here in Clayton where there is a huge pool (that I don't have to maintain). I have four children still at home, and not sure i want to live in a condo/townhome, etc. I love my yard! She said it's warm year round, so there is lawn maintenance required year round, and many single family homes have built in irrigation systems (to keep the grass green) that automatically turn on (thus, the high monthly water bills). If they don't have the irrigation systems (and if you end up leasing for awhile as well as buying), the expectation that you will provide the lawn maintenance including watering can very well be written into the lease. When she bought her home several years ago, she invested in a well that cost her about 1,400 back then to put in, but it paid for itself in the first year, b/c that's how she kept her lawn watered. She said landscaping is very big business there.

Also, she said there are pockets of neighborhoods (like Guatemalian, Haitian, Cuban, etc.) so you have to research the area and the schools thoroughly. My children are multiracial so I don't have a problem with it, but there are some not so nice neighborhoods, and the cultures tend to change block by block....so probably a survey of the entire area would do justice.

Having left a solid school system in Riverwood Elementary and Middle Schools, she said the school her elementary kids are in is not much different, she seems pleased so far. I think the high school in her area is Jupiter HS, big school, probably 5A, 4,000 students there. I have heard both good and bad. I prefer the smaller high schools only because the programs tend to be far less competitive, so if you cannot afford to pay for your kid to be in the AAU baseball all season + several expensive camps in the summer, if your kid is good enough without all that, he still may have a chance to make the team lol (sorry i'm a single mom, can't afford those programs, but I have four bigger boys who are all great athletes!)

She said the electric bills are high all year (need A/C) so when she moved back this summer, she made sure to rent a townhome that was totally energy efficient. Even with this "energy efficient" home, her electric bill in this 1,900 sq. ft. home averages 275 bucks a month.

She also said the heat is not as blistering as Raleigh because they are close to the water. It is hot, but it's a different and more tolerant kind of heat. She loves waking up in the morning and driving a mile to the beach with the beautiful water and mild winters. Her husband is 60+ and started having all sorts of aches and pains when they lived here in NC, and since they've been home, he's been feeling so much better, arthritis not acting up, etc.

She's renting a townhome, but had to look like crud for a decent one....owner wanted 1,400, she talked him down to 1,200. She does not want to buy a home there any more because after that year they got four hurricanes in one season, her home owners jumped from 1,600 to over 8,000 and that's why they had to sell in the first place.....she sold out for $400,000 2.5 years ago (had a nice house in Hobe Sound), and today, that same house is only worth $200,000!!!

So in talking at length with her, there are several considerations: renting vs. buying, schools, neighborhoods, etc. It seems foolish to judge a place just by the weather. I spent 10 years in Virginia Beach, and after the first few years, the beach got old for me....so it may be a beautiful area, but sometimes (especially with hardwoods and tile) sand is NOT your friend haha!! I've talked to several people here in Clayton who are from that area and hate it here compared to there...but have to remember, most of them are older, and the retired life is different from raising children who are still in school and/or need quality daycare. It's important to us about neighborhoods, crime rates, test scores, qualified daycares, etc. Sometimes life is not kind and relationships don't work out....and the other consideration is: IF for some reason you were to get divorced, could you afford to live in the area???? Because you know what?? STUFF happens!!!

Maybe if you are planning on buying a house, you'll have the same luck (buyer's market). Should I go down there, I would definitely RENT with this unstable economy, then I won't lock myself into anything should I not like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 AM

What is the average rental rate in Jupiter/Hobe Sound for a 3 bedroom 1700-1900 sq>? i'm currently renting a single family home in a pool community for 1200 a month....i am on craigslist a lot, but a few people told me those rates are negotiable. My other concern: people renting out their homes but the homes still get foreclosed on with renters in them. That seems to be happening a lot in FL in these times....

p.s. The job market here is not much better. Yes, there are far more positions than the area I was at in GA last year; however, for every position, there are 400 flippin applicants. Then you're underqualified or overqualified or everything in between. I found a job in March, realized I'd made a career mistake (*yucky job*) about a month later and then started looking again.....and got laid off a few weeks ago!! And guess what? STILL haven't found anything....so you can say I've been looking for a position since May....it's now Nov. 1,000 applications later....and I have a four year degree plus 3 years in sales plus the same in legal.... So is it truly that much different than Florida???? Our economy is in a horrible state....it's bad everywhere. And Raleigh is not that much cheaper than S. Florida....maybe a few years ago, but not now....average 3 bedroom rentals in decent neighborhood are 1200-1400 here.
Not much here is within walking distance. My subdivision is off a country road about 3-4 miles outside of town....(gas expense higher)
The grass always looks greener on the other side, right?
However, it is the changing of the leaves here now, and it is absolutely beautiful. NC is truly a beautiful state. You just have to travel some to get to where you need to go (mountains, beaches, etc.)

Last edited by bleighorr; 11-07-2008 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 11-07-2008, 04:15 PM

727 posts, read 1,829,169 times
"She also said the heat is not as blistering as Raleigh because they are close to the water.

Wow, very untrue. It doesnt get nearly as hot there as it does down here... trust me, I've lived in both areas.

And the thing about culture - true too. Not much "community feel" down in FL anymore, very unlike Raleigh. Everyone is from somewhere else, speaking different languages, it CAN be difficult to put up with living in S FL.

And if you think the job market is tough up there in Raleigh, wait til you get to S FL, and it is a dog eat dog environment, maybe less in Jupiter/PBG, but overall, S FL is dog eat dog. Rude ppl compared to Raleigh, more traffic/congestion, more crime, schools arent as good, etc... I mean, there are parts of S FL that are nice, but in my opinion, you will not improve your quality of life at all, unless you have family here, and you wanted to be closer to them.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:03 PM

wow Born, the way you make it sound, it's like a smaller NYC with the blocks and pockets of cultures and all????? Raleigh is more spread out, more suburban. I live in Clayton, which is about 20 minutes away from downtown Raleigh....used to be TOTALLY redneck here, now northerners have invaded lol...... and with that the little communities I guess akin to Albacoa (planned communities, etc.) are all sprouting up out here....but the quality of house in NO WAY rivals what you all have down in Florida. These 200K suckers are plastered up in two weeks w/ plyboard and no "codes" like you have there....and wouldn't withstand a hurricane in the next state let alone being hit by one.....so you definitely have the plus in the home construction market lol

IF i move down, I wouldn't go farther than Jupiter as far as living, but probably commuting into WPB....but I hear ya on the job thing.... How are Martin County schools? And it seems that paralegals get paid pretty decently there, are there a lot of lawyers down there? What are the best occupations in the WPB area (meaning, the most available....like sales? technology? Legal?) I know Jacksonville FL is big on medicine and insurance.... Raleigh has RTP, technology companies, etc.

More traffic??? Have you ever taken I440 at about 8:00 a.m., or 40 from Clayton into RTP at about that same time??? That's five lanes one way of pure tee crud. and DON'T let it RAIN OMGosh you're gonna be stuck for at least 2 hours whichever way you take!!! It's like a mini Atlanta here when you're talking about traffic....can't be THAT bad in WPB, is it????

Old 11-08-2008, 09:17 AM

Yes, FL traffic is worse than Raleigh traffic, the ppl are not as friendly down here, and the ppl are much more aggressive on the roads here. Much more. Trust me, you really need to consider this move, I dont know anyone that would move from Raleigh to S FL. jupiter and PBG are nice, but you will have to drive around WPB and other areas most likely. If you could stay IN Jupiter or PBG for everything (job, shopping, entertainment) that would be one thing, but that would be hard to do.

As far as invasion by Northerners in Raleigh... you aint seen nothing yet! I'd say 95% of the natives down here are gone, and the rest are NY'ers and folks from Latin America. Not saying that's good or bad, just giving you a head's up!

If I lieave my house at 8am, I dont get to work until 9:15 or 9:30 am... and I am only traveling about 16 miles or so. Thank God I get to work by 7am, but it still takes me 45 minutes, even at that time of day. But this is in Orlando, but not much difference from S FL.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:11 AM

*instant headache* lol.....I've been through Orlando and THAT's like ATL!! haha. It's been awhile, but i remember going through Orlando at about 7:30 p.m. about a year ago and experiencing "rush-hour traffic"!!!..... Yeah, I went on the Palm Beach Post this morning and the jobs are pretty NON-EXISTENT....This must be the place for rich (older) folks.... My best friend's husband gets a retirement check, so they have guaranteed income. Me? I'll have to bust butt and hustle for me and the rest of my ducklings.... And from what I've seen in the Jupiter area....it's like 10-12 bucks an hour!! How do (normal) people afford to live there????? *Eeeikkk*

Old 11-08-2008, 03:24 PM

431 posts, read 1,661,959 times
Somewhat of a similar situation here as the OP has. We are a somewhat young family of 4. My wife and I are early 40s, with two young ones, 9 and4. I am very thankfully retired and my wife is a stay at home Mom, who hold a RN license from NY. We relocated to Union County NC 2 years ago. We left all our friends and family behind and were able to buy our dream home, which we would never be able to afford in NY. Everything is beautiful here. The weathers nice, it does get cold in the winter and the summers are very very hot. Everything is clean and new, the schools are good and the people are nice. With that all said...Im bored out of my freaking mind here. There is a serious lack of culture and just things to do for someone in my unique situation. I miss bagel stores, bakeries, pizza places, 7-11s or card stores that sell newspapers....Dunkin Donuts, beaches, bars, (we are a dry county for the most part)Italian pork stores.....the list goes on.

Anyway, I am thinking If I am lucky enough to sell this house we own, we want to consider Boca, Wellington, Jupiter and maybe parts of Del Ray. I would love to be close to the beach and to action in general. I want to see people. I want to be able to take advantage of all this free time I have now and vacation at the Parks (Disney), go on Cruise Ships, Beaches and such. I think Florida just has alot more to offer someone in my situation than NC does.

Main concerns ofcourse being schooling and safety. Depending on the price home we buy I would def consider private school, but am leaning towards a highly rated public school education. Any opinions? I would look to spend $400,000.00

Old 11-08-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleighorr View Post
*instant headache* lol.....I've been through Orlando and THAT's like ATL!! haha. It's been awhile, but i remember going through Orlando at about 7:30 p.m. about a year ago and experiencing "rush-hour traffic"!!!..... Yeah, I went on the Palm Beach Post this morning and the jobs are pretty NON-EXISTENT....This must be the place for rich (older) folks.... My best friend's husband gets a retirement check, so they have guaranteed income. Me? I'll have to bust butt and hustle for me and the rest of my ducklings.... And from what I've seen in the Jupiter area....it's like 10-12 bucks an hour!! How do (normal) people afford to live there????? *Eeeikkk*

Raleigh is nicer, and I am not sure what the draw is to S FL. What is it that you wanna see or do? I'm not trying to discourage you, if you have the money, SOME parts of S FL are still nice (PBG, Jupiter). But your quality of life is going to take a hit. Trust me, I've done both. I apprecaite NC A LOT now after living back in FL. I have family here, so leaving will be hard, but hopefully they will follow me up I-95 north towards N GA or the Carolinas... I am looking for what FL USED TO BE like.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM

[quote=U120;6072186]Somewhat of a similar situation here as the OP has. We are a somewhat young family of 4. My wife and I are early 40s, with two young ones, 9 and4. I am very thankfully retired and my wife is a stay at home Mom, who hold a RN license from NY. We relocated to Union County NC 2 years ago. We left all our friends and family behind and were able to buy our dream home, which we would never be able to afford in NY. Everything is beautiful here. The weathers nice, it does get cold in the winter and the summers are very very hot. Everything is clean and new, the schools are good and the people are nice. With that all said...Im bored out of my freaking mind here. There is a serious lack of culture and just things to do for someone in my unique situation. I miss bagel stores, bakeries, pizza places, 7-11s or card stores that sell newspapers....Dunkin Donuts, beaches, bars, (we are a dry county for the most part)Italian pork stores.....the list goes on."

^^^Yes, everyones situation is going to be different. But 9 out of 10 times, Raleigh is a better fit than S FL. Look at how many ppl are leaving S FL. Look at how many ppl want to leave. And why is everyone (most folks) so rude? It didnt used to be like this in FL. Now everyone is high- strung, stressed out like they still live in NYC, and they bring it right here to FL.
No wonder so many natives have left and are happier in GA or TN. Many of them couldnt get away fast enough.

Excuse me if I sound bitter, I am just saddened and frustrated by what my home state has become.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 14,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Life is SO ironic! Here I am trying to get out of S. FL and studying NC (Raleigh was suggested to me at www.****l.com (broken link)) and someone from there wants to come here.

Well, I hope you are aware that the cost of living down here is much higher than in NC but if you make the $$$ you can find plenty to do here, of course. What I wonder is how come you are bored being close enough to so many other interesting cities in both NC and SC. However, I feel that being bored should not be the main reason to move. Sure, I was bored when I moved here from Dover, DE in '97 but that is a way smaller town than Raleigh, besides I had several other reasons to move here. But as a parent I would much rather raise my children in an all-around nice place where I felt they would be safe and/or around good values than in the rather superficial atmosphere that prevails in most of S. FL. I would rather advice you to save money each year for a good FL vacation each year as, besides retiring here, that is REALLY what this state is good for.

One last thing, where did you live prior to Raleigh? If you moved there form the NE and are still wanting warmer weather please do be aware that it's not all it's "cracked up to be". It can rain too much (at least for my taste) during July and August so as to ruin chances to go to the beach and other outdoor activities and it's too warm for about 8 months a year - which will run your electric bill pretty high. Also, with the recent frequent threat of hurricanes (been through 3 here already -NOT a pleasant experience AT ALL!) it's not fun having to "prepare" for it countless times during the season.

I'm generally NOT a negative person but some things have to be said the way they are without any sugar coating and IMHO S. FL is no longer the "wonderful paradise" it once was...
Just made the big move from WPB to Raleigh last month. My husband and I were both born and raised in FL. Much like you, we found ourselves ready to leave son after the birth of our daughter. Too much crime, too expensive, way over-crowding in ho-hum public schools with classes that are over-flowing with far too many students unable to speak English. The list goes on.

Anyway, so far our auto insurance here is literally about half of what it was there, our electric bill is less than half of what it was, the weather is amazing. People are actually nice. Really nice.

I sure don't want to come off as 'dogging' Florida...but ...there were enough reasons to decide to up and leave the only place I ever called home. We couldn't be happier with our decision to move to Raleigh (well, technically Wake Forest). We don't have the social life or friends here that we had in FL, but that will come with time.

Best of luck in choosing your next home.

: )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach