Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:36 AM

727 posts, read 1,828,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ababypilot View Post
Just made the big move from WPB to Raleigh last month. My husband and I were both born and raised in FL. Much like you, we found ourselves ready to leave son after the birth of our daughter. Too much crime, too expensive, way over-crowding in ho-hum public schools with classes that are over-flowing with far too many students unable to speak English. The list goes on.

Anyway, so far our auto insurance here is literally about half of what it was there, our electric bill is less than half of what it was, the weather is amazing. People are actually nice. Really nice.

I sure don't want to come off as 'dogging' Florida...but ...there were enough reasons to decide to up and leave the only place I ever called home. We couldn't be happier with our decision to move to Raleigh (well, technically Wake Forest). We don't have the social life or friends here that we had in FL, but that will come with time.

Best of luck in choosing your next home.

: )

Listen to ppl that have made the move (like poster above) and are happier. Ppl posting stats about crime andschools usually havent been and/or lived in BOTH places. Listen to the folks that have made the move from S FL up there. 9 out of 10 times, they are happier. The things about rude ppl, crime, etc... are tough to hear, especially about a place that used to be so nice (excluding Miami), but things change unfortunately. And this is coming from a native of FL. Most of us are long gone. Paradise lost, replaced by many rude ppl, ppl that race to red lights just so they can run it, lack of respect for others (especially Tampa, Orlando, and S FL)... Raleigh is not like that at all. The schools are better, ppl are nice, crime is lower, I mean, what is better in S FL? NOTHING. Sorry to put it bluntly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 09:39 AM

9 posts, read 40,480 times
Thank you so much, everyone, for your honest and well-thought out comments! I have to say, after reading them - and personally speaking with many S.FL to Raleigh transplants - maybe NC is really the place to be...at least for right now!

When I first started thinking about relocating out of Raleigh, it was because I was feeling little "bored". However, since then the overall economy has tanked and now I'm actively freaking out! The feeling of "boredom" seems like a silly luxury and I've come to the conclusion that in these uncertain times - it's probably best if I just stay put and just try to relocate my attitude!

I have to say, I agree whole-heartedly that the folks here in Raleigh are a very friendly and polite bunch. The more I focus on how helpful, kind and pleasant everyone around here is - the more I see why this really is a great place to raise a family.

Looks like, for now, we'll be staying put.
Thanks again for all of your help - My own grass is starting to look greener already!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:47 AM

"have to say, I agree whole-heartedly that the folks here in Raleigh are a very friendly and polite bunch. The more I focus on how helpful, kind and pleasant everyone around here is - the more I see why this really is a great place to raise a family."

Bingo! Sure S FL can provide more eye candy, more glitz and glamour (in SOME places) but it is simply not worth the trade off. You will very rarely find the friendliness you find up in Raleigh down here in S FL, and I mean very rarely. You made a good choice. So many ppl down here in FL (S FL too) are stuggling to pay bills, the economy is bad, etc... so what if your a little bored, ya know? It could be worse.

Hey, Orlando was 2006 "America's Angriest City" and South FL was named area with the "worst road rage" 3 yrs in a row by another source. Raleigh would never get these kind of "awards," so enjoy Raleigh!!!

Last edited by BornInFL; 11-09-2008 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 12:09 PM

"and personally speaking with many S.FL to Raleigh transplants"

That too is key. Gotta talk to the people who have lived in both places. Listening to someone from Brooklyn who loves S FL because they dont have to shovel snow and they can find the same pizza pie (NY style) is not the advice you need or what you are looking for when making your decision. So many ppl move here from places like Philly or Newark, and yes, they may like it and tell you it is great in S FL, but look where they came from. If you are able to find folks that have moved from S FL to Raleigh (and it seems like you have found a few, although I am sure there are thousands) those are the folks to listen to.

I think you made a good decision for you and your family. Now that we have a child now, I too look to move northward, and most likely out of FL altogether. Hopefully family will follow me, I dont see why it would take much convincing honestly.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:35 PM

38 posts, read 152,582 times
Wink I love florida

Even with all the negativity, I still can't wait to move to Florida. As I said, I've done my research, I know what the weather is like, I know that Florida is VERY HOT, and that Florida has some of the best high schools in the USA. (look it up)

Its all relative... I was born in Brooklyn, grew up on LOng Island and Staten Island, and now live in New Jersey. Congestion, rude people, bad drivers... NYC set the standard for all that. Florida is a fairy tale compared to where I live, so people, thanks for your comments, but for an ideal place to raise a family, I'll take Jupiter over my NYC any day.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 AM

9 posts, read 40,480 times
Hey della terra...

Maybe you should look at Raleigh!!! ;-)

Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 PM

"Congestion, rude people, bad drivers... NYC set the standard for all that."

and south fla is different how? where all all those ppl now? you guessed it!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:33 PM

6 posts, read 10,958 times
Stay in NC!! We moved here from Chapel Hill and miss it so much. There is so much better access to other areas of the country from Raleigh. We have been here 4 years, and although we love it, we feel trapped! Stay where you are or consider the NE if you are bored....more to do!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,132,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
If I lieave my house at 8am, I dont get to work until 9:15 or 9:30 am... and I am only traveling about 16 miles or so.Thank God I get to work by 7am, but it still takes me 45 minutes, even at that time of day. But this is in Orlando, but not much difference from S FL
Well, although yesterday, when we were trying out our commute times, I got on I-95 at 45th Street in West Palm Beach at 8:00 a.m. and got to 79th Street and Biscayne in Miami in just under 60 minutes--a distance of a bit under 70 miles. I could have gotten there faster, but I do not like to drive too much over the speed limit . . . so maybe it's not that similar after all?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:04 PM

38 posts, read 152,582 times
To Bored in Raleigh....
I just get frustrated when people just come at you with nasty comments about how horrible it is to live in Florida. I've actually thought about Raleigh and Charlotte, but I feel I would be bored too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach