Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindquist22 View Post
Very interesting thread - just read all of the comments. I currently live in the Orlando area and have been looking for quite awhile to relocate due to increasing crime and mediocre schools. I've researched Austin (Cedar Park and Round Rock) and Dallas (Frisco & McKinney), TX, Franklin and Murfreesboro, TN, Lake Mary and Jupiter, FL as well as Tampa (Wesley Chapel/Trinity and Lithia), and Jacksonville (Ponte Vedra, Orange Park/Eagle Harbor). All of these cities had great schools (on paper), some had lower crime than others. Everyone had something good to say and of course lots of people had something bad to say about these places.

I just spent Thanksgiving with my cousin in Jupiter (they technically live in PBG but right on border of Jupiter) - this is our 3rd or 4th stay with her and for those short visits, we love it. BUT - her family is much wealthier than mine - they are able to send their two kids to private school and they are both involved in tennis and golf (we're talking over 500 trophies each). They definitely enjoy the good life!

We could probably afford a nice townhome in Abacoa or a SFH in the Heights, I'm just not sure life would be so much better for us there than here - spending more money on a rental and not able to afford much of anything else???!

I honestly still don't have a clue where we'll go, if anywhere (far). I work from home, so thankfully, I can go anywhere. What keeps me in this area (i.e. looking at Lake Mary not far from here) are good friends and familiarity (though I see my friends maybe 3-4x per year b/c we're all busy). What keeps me in Florida in general is family (my cousin), the weather (I don't mind the humidity at all) and no state income tax (self employed).

Somebody mentioned earlier they were renting their house out in Jupiter (with a pool) - how much are you renting it for and when? I might be interested... LOL!

Anybody have any advice for me? I know it's all up to me but I am really, really stuck!!!
I'd say you made a good choice with Lake Mary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:22 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,658 times
I agree, S FL is FILLED with snobby northers (as mentioned above) who either hate life, or just dont care to meet people and be friendly. Of course there are some good peeps in S FL, but why trade in a place like Raleigh (friendly, MUCH less crime than S FL, everything is better in Raleigh than S FL, except for Raleigh is 5 hours or so from the beaches).

Just read what southflamom wrote, she said it perfectly, and she was aborn and raised here. She wants Raleigh as do many other natives who are just fed up with what S FL has become. I mean, lets be honest, with all the negative attributes that S FL has, why would you choose it over Raleigh?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:55 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,130 times
Quote:
I do remember distinctly the change in the news about dead people (through violence) suddenly daily vs before and my neighbors noticed it, too.
Which among other things might be either a change in your awareness of this, or a change from the program manager of the television station about what to report and how to report it.
Quote:
The first couple were nice, people were neighborly, there were association events, etc., but the last two years it all stopped and people have moved out and neighbors don't know each other.
Have you tried encouraging new neighbors to know each other?

You're not going to have a guarantee about what neighbors are going to be like anywhere, by the way.
Quote:
Also, my kids are A students and love to learn - that's the problem - they are not being challenged enough. I can give them all the extra work in the world, it does not make up for 6+ hours at school where they are not being challenged.
It's not a matter of you giving them extra work or a teacher giving them extra work.

For one, do they not have the desire to learn more about the things they're interested in (and exercise what they learn in various ways) on their own? Do they not know how to do this? Those things are important; it's effectively knowing how to teach yourself, and it's something they're going to need for the remainder of their lives, once they're out of school.

If they're not "challenged" enough in school, that probably means that they're smart and know what they're expected to know, correct? That doesn't imply that their schooling has been less than satisfactory, by the way.

Your kids' classes are probably easy for them, and if they're smart enough, that's always going to be the case. It's not the school's "fault" that your kids are that smart and ahead of the game.

It would probably be worthwhile exploring some of the specifics here of what your kids are doing in school versus what you believe they should be doing. "Being challenged" is incredibly vague.

But sure, moving may not be a bad idea if you're not moving because you're disatisfied with various things about your current situation.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:19 AM

37 posts, read 114,421 times
As you know, you can find anything positive or ways to improve a situation and vice versa. I'm not a dunce!
As to my kids and their desire to learn - they can't learn any more if they're not given the work at school or told to do only what the teacher is giving them. Again - not sure how you came to all of your conclusions when I'm telling you that the 14 out of 19 kids are well below average in their class! They are unable to complete 3rd grade tasks - surely you realize that that drags down the children who are either on grade level or above?

Exactly to your last point -- I know that if for some reason we cannot move or don't find anything we deem more satisfactory, that I can make improvements here and make it work better for me. I am however, going to continue to search, and perhaps get lucky in finding something better.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:38 AM

I do not want to get into a big debate about this in this forum (although I'd love to do it in another forum, like Great Debates), but this sentence strikes me as particularly odd:
Quote:
they can't learn any more if they're not given the work at school or told to do only what the teacher is giving them.
, but maybe I'm not understanding what you're claiming there.

If your kids do not know how to learn about things other than via what they're given by their teacher, there's a big problem. But maybe that's not what you're saying.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:52 AM

Not sure what there is to debate -- I am saying that while they are sitting in their seats in front of their desks at school, the teacher gives them assignments and they are to do them. My child finishes in 3 minutes and instead of the teacher giving her something more challenging to do, she tells her to just sit there and wait until everyone else is done or read. When she is teaching math at the board, my child already knows how to do all of it and is bored, but she is told to pay attention to what's happening at the board, where a child is being taught how to do what my child already knows in her sleep. The only other thing my child is allowed to do if she is done with her work is go read a book. I am not the only parent who has this problem. The teachers are trying to get all of their children at the lowest possible level within the grade through the FCATs.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
instead of the teacher giving her something more challenging to do, she tells her to just sit there and wait until everyone else is done or read.
And why isn't your child giving herself something more challenging to do at that point, by reading something more challenging (even in the same subject as the class if they're interested in it?).

If your child is smart enough, the classwork is going to be easy for them in that manner regardless of where they go to school.

The only way around that would be to homeschool them and have a private tutor who can quickly move them through, say, for mathematics, algebra, trigonometry, calculus, differential geometry, applied stochastic differential equations, combinatorics, algebraic topology, etc. at exactly that child's pace.

But your child could also learn those kinds of things on their own, at their own speed, and knowing how to do this is one of the most valuable skills they should possess.

The bottom line is that you have to think about what you're expecting your child to get out of their schooling. If they're that advanced, they should already know how to self-educate, and then schooling--even their university undergraduate work, is going to become largely a game of doing the time required to get the official designation they need to try to move into whatever vocation they're hoping for. When you're that advanced, when you know how to self-educate and when you have the motivation for it, it's not very difficult to stay far ahead of the game regardless of what group you're in.

I'm surprised, though, if the schools in question are having such a large dichotomy in learning ability, that they're not having the students who are excelling help the students who are struggling with the material one-on-one. Learning how to teach is certainly valuable--and challenging--and it helps the teacher (who would be the fellow student in this case) understand the material even better. That might be a good thing to suggest.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:05 PM

I am not arguing with you about how they can read more challenging books and do more challenging work at home, etc. What I am saying I wish to change is the environment my kids are in - period. I hope you're not saying that every single school out there is going to have most of the kids BELOW average in their grade? I'm just saying that I would prefer my children to be in classes surrounded by children who are at LEAST at grade level!

The teachers have all kinds of excuses when I or other parents have suggested improvements - i.e. "we already have a mentoring program" (but that's only 1x per week for 30 minutes). My child already is reading more challenging books but I'd like her to be more challenged in other subjects as well (i.e. math, science, etc.).

Again, this turned into something bigger and due to not wanting to write an entire novel on this forum, there are lots of gaps in this conversation. As I also said before, I know there are subtle improvements I can make if I'm stuck in this situation - my point was, I don't like it, I'm not stuck here, therefore I can look at other options and check out other schools and places to live. As I also mentioned, when my kids were zoned for their previous elementary school, I did not have this same issue at all. The kids in their classrooms were all very much challenged and were all, more than less, at grade level or above (no more than 2 or 3 below). That's an entirely different ratio than what they are experiencing now. So - other schools can offer better opportunities. That's pretty much it!

Old 12-06-2008, 07:22 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
That's where I'm headed! (Wake Forest) I can undersand what the OP are saying about wanting a change. We feel the same way. It's not like we don't like FL, just ready for change. Is there a reason why you picked Juniper? There are plenty other beaches. At least if you were more up north, say Jacksonville, you'd have more of the seasons. IN S. FL, it stays hot all the time. That's the only thing I don't like about FL is that it stays too hot for too long. I must say the beaches are beautiful though.

I'm jealous! I soooo want to be there too. We're looking at Johnston County for eventual relocation. We drove around there a little bit when we were on our way to the Outer Banks. It was very depressing to have a 16 hour drive back (20 hours after you figure in stops and a couple other factors) vs. the 3 hour drive we could have had. It'll happen eventually though.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:44 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,514 times
Quote:
I am not arguing with you about how they can read more challenging books and do more challenging work at home, etc. What I am saying I wish to change is the environment my kids are in - period. I hope you're not saying that every single school out there is going to have most of the kids BELOW average in their grade? I'm just saying that I would prefer my children to be in classes surrounded by children who are at LEAST at grade level!

The teachers have all kinds of excuses when I or other parents have suggested improvements - i.e. "we already have a mentoring program" (but that's only 1x per week for 30 minutes). My child already is reading more challenging books but I'd like her to be more challenged in other subjects as well (i.e. math, science, etc.).

Again, this turned into something bigger and due to not wanting to write an entire novel on this forum, there are lots of gaps in this conversation. As I also said before, I know there are subtle improvements I can make if I'm stuck in this situation - my point was, I don't like it, I'm not stuck here, therefore I can look at other options and check out other schools and places to live. As I also mentioned, when my kids were zoned for their previous elementary school, I did not have this same issue at all. The kids in their classrooms were all very much challenged and were all, more than less, at grade level or above (no more than 2 or 3 below). That's an entirely different ratio than what they are experiencing now. So - other schools can offer better opportunities. That's pretty much it!
This situation is happening all over the country, not just in Florida. I used to live in Jupiter and was very nervous about sending my children to public school (we moved right before my daughter entered kindergarten). Our neighbors sent their children and were very happy but we just weren't sure. We moved to CA and I was amazed on the tour. There were children in first grade that had never been to school before! My daughter attended private school last year because I was so nervous and the "system." She did very well and was right in the middle of the pack. This year, we moved an hour south and are in one of the best school districts in the state of CA. My child is at the head of the class and her teacher constantly tells us not to worry about this year...it's a "blow off" year for her. The only area she's being challenged in is reading (she and two other children are separated into an advanced reading group). A mom of one of the other girls told me that the no child left behind law is alive and well in our class. It's scary but please know that these situations are happening everywhere. As long as you are an advocate for your own child and understand that teachers can only do so much..I'm not terribly worried because I'm sure she will be challenged as she gets older and there's plenty of time for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach