U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-27-2008, 07:13 PM
 
64 posts, read 167,154 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

First off, Happy Thanksgiving to you all. It has been a wonderdul day for my wife and me but as I write now, I am pretty upset. We had Thanksgiving dinner with a good friend that I have worked with for a while and I got new information on an incident that happened last week.

Recently, in my post about Palm Beach County's Violent Crime Incident, somebody posted that if you have a "healthy social life" and don't associate with gangs and miscreants, you are pretty much safe going about your day to day life. So, let there be no more debate about what kind of place this has become.

- In reference to the fatal shooting I wrote about in Lantana last week. The victim was a college student either on his way to or home from college. He was on the highway and got hungry so he pulled off to get food at the Taco Bell at Hypoluxo and I 95. While in the drive through, 2 unidentified suspects came up to his window and demanded that he give them money. When he refused, they riddled him full of bullets, his foot hit the accelerator and his car crossed over Hypoluxo and ended up in the bushes. He was DOA (dead on arrival). There was pressed military attire in his back seat. He died because he was hungry. Wrong place, wrong time.

-On the news tonight, a multiple, nonfatal (as of now) shooting in Delary Beach last night. Not Eastern Delray either. It was in Western Delray (Atlantic and Military), a heavily geriatric area. Four suspects came in with handguns and shotguns. Neither the employees or the customers offered resistance. In fact, the customers got down on the floor, many face first. After the suspects had their money, one of the robbers shot at the customers with a shotgun at close range. Two were hit in the face, one was hit in the leg. These were senior citizens! Before it was over, one other person was shot in the leg and the driver of the truck they ran out in front of had a bullet through his windshield. Two of the victims has trauma surgery on their faces. One of the victims came to the VA the next day (today) not realizing that he had shotgun shrapnel in his leg.

So, to those who think that if you just mind your business and you will be fine, think again. For those considering moving here, this is what you are in for. For the retirees who lead a great life, I am glad you do but those people having shotgun shrapnel removed from their faces were probably retirees too. This is what I have been talking about. This place is scary and violent. As I have seen before and as we now see in the news, nobody is safe. I for one am sick of it and as I write, my wife and I are getting ready to leave this place where thugs think nothing of shotgunning people just for fun. Please be safe out there and again---Happy Thanksgiving.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 11-27-2008, 07:30 PM
 
668 posts, read 2,217,438 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by aterrell9 View Post
-On the news tonight, a multiple, nonfatal (as of now) shooting in Delary Beach last night. Not Eastern Delray either. It was in Western Delray (Atlantic and Military), a heavily geriatric area. Four suspects came in with handguns and shotguns. Neither the employees or the customers offered resistance. In fact, the customers got down on the floor, many face first. After the suspects had their money, one of the robbers shot at the customers with a shotgun at close range. Two were hit in the face, one was hit in the leg. These were senior citizens! Before it was over, one other person was shot in the leg and the driver of the truck they ran out in front of had a bullet through his windshield. Two of the victims has trauma surgery on their faces. One of the victims came to the VA the next day (today) not realizing that he had shotgun shrapnel in his leg.
stupid trigger happy thugs lookin for street cred tryin to prove they are baddest around always the first ones to end up in jail. Everybody knows that's robberry 101, u don't shoot coroporating civilians- unless you want the police to trace the bullets. couple of dumb***'s, anybody lookin to pull a robberry, street or not, and make money and not end up in jail will tell u the same thing. His partner should shoot him for bein an idiot.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-27-2008, 08:03 PM
 
727 posts, read 1,728,637 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by aterrell9 View Post
First off, Happy Thanksgiving to you all. It has been a wonderdul day for my wife and me but as I write now, I am pretty upset. We had Thanksgiving dinner with a good friend that I have worked with for a while and I got new information on an incident that happened last week.

Recently, in my post about Palm Beach County's Violent Crime Incident, somebody posted that if you have a "healthy social life" and don't associate with gangs and miscreants, you are pretty much safe going about your day to day life. So, let there be no more debate about what kind of place this has become.

- In reference to the fatal shooting I wrote about in Lantana last week. The victim was a college student either on his way to or home from college. He was on the highway and got hungry so he pulled off to get food at the Taco Bell at Hypoluxo and I 95. While in the drive through, 2 unidentified suspects came up to his window and demanded that he give them money. When he refused, they riddled him full of bullets, his foot hit the accelerator and his car crossed over Hypoluxo and ended up in the bushes. He was DOA (dead on arrival). There was pressed military attire in his back seat. He died because he was hungry. Wrong place, wrong time.

-On the news tonight, a multiple, nonfatal (as of now) shooting in Delary Beach last night. Not Eastern Delray either. It was in Western Delray (Atlantic and Military), a heavily geriatric area. Four suspects came in with handguns and shotguns. Neither the employees or the customers offered resistance. In fact, the customers got down on the floor, many face first. After the suspects had their money, one of the robbers shot at the customers with a shotgun at close range. Two were hit in the face, one was hit in the leg. These were senior citizens! Before it was over, one other person was shot in the leg and the driver of the truck they ran out in front of had a bullet through his windshield. Two of the victims has trauma surgery on their faces. One of the victims came to the VA the next day (today) not realizing that he had shotgun shrapnel in his leg.

So, to those who think that if you just mind your business and you will be fine, think again. For those considering moving here, this is what you are in for. For the retirees who lead a great life, I am glad you do but those people having shotgun shrapnel removed from their faces were probably retirees too. This is what I have been talking about. This place is scary and violent. As I have seen before and as we now see in the news, nobody is safe. I for one am sick of it and as I write, my wife and I are getting ready to leave this place where thugs think nothing of shotgunning people just for fun. Please be safe out there and again---Happy Thanksgiving.
Tough to hear things like this... S FL really has changed throughout the yrs. Some folks on this forum deny what they read and/or hear, and again and again, crime like this continues to occur. Try try and combat the crime problem, some folks throw out all these crime stats and talk about how S FL is a safe place... safer than Greenville SC, safer than Knoxville TN, safer than Roswell GA, and all I can say is, they are wrong.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-28-2008, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Exit 14C
1,555 posts, read 3,928,227 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by aterrell9 View Post
First off, Happy Thanksgiving to you all. It has been a wonderdul day for my wife and me but as I write now, I am pretty upset . . .
First off, although you're giving examples that are specific to Florida, this discussion isn't really Florida-centric. We should probably be doing this in the "Great Debates" forum instead. But I'll answer here for now anyway.

I would suspect that you were referring to me, since you haven't posted that much yet and we had a discussion kind of about this. Except, I would never say something like "if you have a 'healthy social life' . . . ". My view is however that most folks do not need to worry about being safe in most places, and my view is that folks who are not involved with drug trafficking, gangs, etc. need to worry about this far less than those who are involved with those things. This certainly includes Palm Beach County and other areas of Florida, but it's by no means limited to it.

Based on your comments, though, you're not understanding what I'm claiming about this very well. Here are a number of statements that I agree with. They're all compatible with each other (although if someone believes that they're not compatible, I'm certainly willing to listen to and address their arguments about that):

(1) Crime statistics (as they're presently given, without analysis, etc.) do not tell anyone how likely it is that they and their loved ones will be safe in a given location.
(2) (as noted above) The average Joe does not need to worry about their safety (or the safety of their loved ones--that added phrase should be understood in the following references to "average Joe") in most locations.
(3) Average Joes are sometimes crime victims.
(4) There is no place on the Earth where anyone, average Joe or not, can have a guarantee that they will not be a crime victim.
(5) Most crime is not "random". Crime statistics in no way imply an analogy to a regularly-scheduled lottery, where each person in the area covered by the statistics is analogous to being the holder of a single lottery ticket with a unique number, giving them an equal chance in each "drawing" of being a victim. In other words, if there are 100 people in an area, and last year 10 people were murdered in that area, that in no way equates to someone in that area having a 10% chance of being murdered (not to mention that it in no way implies that 10, and not 0 or 50 people will be murdered in that area in the following year). Instead, some people in that area may have very close to a 0% chance of being murdered and some people may have something more like a 33% chance of being murdered--heck, depending on the intentions of particular people, some folks in an area might have much closer to a 100% chance of being murdered (for example, if someone has been planning on killing someone else and is likely to carry it out or commission others to carry it out).
(6) The factors that determine one's chance of being a crime victim depend on are in no way represented in crime statistics.

Based on the above, noting that average people have been crime victims is not an argument against the things that I believe. It's one of the things I believe, and is consistent with all of those other statements. In terms of logic, if no one is claiming, "No x are y", then pointing out that "Some x are y" in no way negates anything.

A couple comments otherwise.
Quote:
In reference to the fatal shooting I wrote about in Lantana last week. The victim was a college student either on his way to or home from college . . . He died because he was hungry. Wrong place, wrong time.
How much research into this could we say we've done when we don't even know whether the person was on his way to or from college?
Quote:
For those considering moving here, this is what you are in for.
Anyone thinking of moving anywhere, who believes that they can move anywhere and basically have a guarantee that they or their loved ones will not be a crime victim has far more serious problems than moving logistics.

By the way, I emailed the Boyton Beach police department to check on just how much "we" might be exaggerating claims about a particular apartment complex. They haven't emailed me back yet, so that could be a sign of good luck.

Last edited by Tungsten_Udder; 11-28-2008 at 08:09 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-28-2008, 11:33 AM
 
64 posts, read 167,154 times
Reputation: 22
Nope, wasn't referring to you at all. Compelled to Reply was the one who made that statement.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-28-2008, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Exit 14C
1,555 posts, read 3,928,227 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by aterrell9 View Post
Nope, wasn't referring to you at all. Compelled to Reply was the one who made that statement.
Okay.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-28-2008, 12:40 PM
 
64 posts, read 167,154 times
Reputation: 22
-Kind of hard to "research" a murder that is still under investigation. My "research" comes from the guys who ran the call and called him dead. Sorry its not up to your standards but it wasn't meant to be.

- You must have a lot of time on your hands if you would actually take the time to email BBPD and verify a stranger's claims. Sorry you don't have anything better to do.

"By the way, I emailed the Boyton Beach police department to check on just how much "we" might be exaggerating claims about a particular apartment complex. They haven't emailed me back yet, so that could be a sign of good luck. "

I sense sarcasm there. Sounds a bit antagonistic to me even.

Bottom line. You can armchair quarterback it all you want to. You can try and be a sesquipedalian. You can try and bamboozle people with fancy variable correlations or lack thereof. You can try and use smoke and mirrors to get people to take your side in general. The point is.....

1. You weren't the one being shot at at the Dunkin' Donuts. Go try and pull your verbal acrobatics on those people getting shotgun shrapnel removed from their face. You'll end up in the trauma bay next to them.
2. You're not the family of the dead college kid. They don't care if he was coming or going.
3. Other than occasionally visiting here, you seem to be pretty far removed. Again, easy to be an armchair quarterback when you don't have to deal with it on a day-to-day basis.
4. My post had nothing to do with you. That was your assumption. And you know what they say about assumptions.

Bottom line: This post is from a frustrated NATIVE Floridian, expressing what I see and what the people who LIVE here are experiencing. Nobody cares about your 3 ring, grandiloquent, smoke and mirrors act. If you want to share your opinion, great. That is what the forum is about. But if you have a need to prove people wrong, email organizations to fact check their posts and try and prove how smart you are, go have the debate with a mirror and quit annoying me.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-28-2008, 12:59 PM
 
727 posts, read 1,728,637 times
Reputation: 142
"Bottom line: This post is from a frustrated NATIVE Floridian"

Hey man, I know how you feel. Many native Floridians (such as myself) feel the same way about what FL has become. The new residents can deny the crime situation, and think everything is fine and dandy (and maybe if from Newark NJ, S FL is safe) but there are a reason why many of us natives are leaving.

On another note, I cant believe someone would ask if a person was going to or from college. A kid is dead, over what? Nothing. Senseless S FL crime by wanna be thugs and that whole hoodlum mentality. Why does it matter if he was coming or going?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-28-2008, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Exit 14C
1,555 posts, read 3,928,227 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by aterrell9 View Post
- You must have a lot of time on your hands if you would actually take the time to email BBPD and verify a stranger's claims. Sorry you don't have anything better to do.
I don't think it took me much longer that a minute to write the email. It's not as if it's difficult to type a couple sentences and click.
Quote:
Nobody cares about your 3 ring, grandiloquent, smoke and mirrors act.
If you didn't understand something I wrote, I don't mind explaining it, even if it's only in private messages.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-28-2008, 03:55 PM
 
64 posts, read 167,154 times
Reputation: 22
Born in Fl: Amen. Those of us who live here and who have lived here our whole lives are angry and frustrated.

Tungsten: I did not say I don't understand. I think Born in Fl summed it up best. We are here talking about innocent people being hurt and killed. We are expressing our frustration. We are telling other people thinking of moving here what we are seeing on our local news everyday. What we don't want is somebody who doesn't live here barging in on this thread to try and make a subjective experience objective by flashing big words and fake math. You have a good understanding of stats. Good for you. We don't care about that. I'm upset about an innocent college student being killed. All you care about is that apparently I didn't do much research. I'm upset that the SWAT team is rading my apartment complex. All you care about is seeing if I am exaggerating. So, pretty much, you come across as being cold-hearted and insensitive to anything human. We talk about our subjective experiences and you want to hijack the thread and validate it with stats.

Bottom Line: If I did not understand, I would say that I did not understand. If I did not care, I would say I did not care. I said I did not care, ergo, I don't care. We're talking about innocent people being gunned down. If you want to talk math, go find a math forum and quit telling us that our subjective experiences are wrong from 1235.28 miles away!
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top