U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:34 AM
m5* m5* started this thread

166 posts, read 604,670 times

Advertisements

i am moving back down to south florida after living in nyc for 6 years. my fiance and i are going to be buying a house and settling down. i love the area of northwood hills, but i see it's a little close to 45th street. of course that worries me because 45th street has been the same kind of area since i was 3. does anyone know what's up with northwood hills? i love the style of the old homes. it's really the only area in wpb i am considering, otherwise it's gardens, jupiter, or wellington most likely. thanks for any help!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 08:36 AM

17,288 posts, read 26,984,648 times
A mixed bag. The neighborhood itself is full of good people, great neighbors, great homes, and community spirit. It's close to the intracoastal and downtown..... but its Western border abuts some of the worst areas of West Palm Beach in terms of crime, etc.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:22 AM
m5* m5* started this thread

166 posts, read 604,670 times
Thanks for the info, you live in Flamingo Park, ahhhh that's where I'd really like to live!!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:47 PM

Location: Palm Beach County. Where people get murked by the grocery store.
164 posts, read 715,322 times
northwood hills is straight. dont go to far west.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5* View Post
Thanks for the info, you live in Flamingo Park, ahhhh that's where I'd really like to live!!

Then go for Flamingo Park! Check out Grandview Heights right next door to Flamingo Park as well. I got my house as a short sale, so you never know when there's going to be a bargain available.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 AM

14,260 posts, read 24,022,614 times
Northwood Hills strikes me as an interesting neighborhood. It looks desirable but has some sketchy areas and it's near legit sketchy neighborhoods.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:07 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,111,747 times
I went on a home tour there a while ago, prior to the boom going bust, a lot of nice restored historic homes there, but also a lot of dumpy and seedy homes mixed in this was west of Broadway. When it got dark the City of WPB had plenty of Police driving around and monitoring the shuttle stops on the tour.

There are recent street views of the neighborhood on Google Maps. The closer to Flagler, the nicer the homes are.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I went on a home tour there a while ago, prior to the boom going bust, a lot of nice restored historic homes there, but also a lot of dumpy and seedy homes mixed in this was west of Broadway. When it got dark the City of WPB had plenty of Police driving around and monitoring the shuttle stops on the tour.

There are recent street views of the neighborhood on Google Maps. The closer to Flagler, the nicer the homes are.
They actually had Police monitoring the shuttle stops? Crazy. Well, I guess it makes sense. There was a drive-by shooting in the Northwood Hills the other day. A 17yr old was shot.

17-year-old wounded in West Palm Beach drive-by shooting

It happened on 34th and Westview Ave. Look how close it is to some REALLY nice upper-class looking houses. It's insane.

west palm beach 34th Street and Westview Avenue - Google Maps

Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
They actually had Police monitoring the shuttle stops? Crazy. Well, I guess it makes sense. There was a drive-by shooting in the Northwood Hills the other day. A 17yr old was shot.

17-year-old wounded in West Palm Beach drive-by shooting

It happened on 34th and Westview Ave. Look how close it is to some REALLY nice upper-class looking houses. It's insane.

50% of all crime in West Palm Beach occurs in the "north end" of the city. That's right where Northwood Hills is located. That's really its downfall, and why the homes are much better priced than anything comparable in the southern part of the city.

IMO, I would probably be OK living in Old Northwood or Northwood Shores, but not west of Broadway, and not north of about 35th - 40th street.

You are right it IS such a shame because the area has so much character and history... maybe someday it can gentrify fully, but I think it's quite a ways off.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
50% of all crime in West Palm Beach occurs in the "north end" of the city. That's right where Northwood Hills is located. That's really its downfall, and why the homes are much better priced than anything comparable in the southern part of the city.

IMO, I would probably be OK living in Old Northwood or Northwood Shores, but not west of Broadway, and not north of about 35th - 40th street.

You are right it IS such a shame because the area has so much character and history... maybe someday it can gentrify fully, but I think it's quite a ways off.
Yeah, the whole North-end collectively has the worst crime problem in the city. But I don't think I've seen a neighborhood as mixed income as Northwood Hills SEEMS to be. There's literally bombed out, crack-house looking houses litterally next-door to luxurious 1930's and 1940's Spanish-Revival villas. And those aren't abandoned mansions either, people actually live in them(you can tell by the cars in the drive ways and the Satellite DISH's on the houses.) So that makes you wonder how someone in that high tax bracket can live in the same neighborhoods as some of the edgier people, and sketchier looking houses. I also think that's pretty cool. It kinda shows the rich and the lower-middle class can live side-by-side. Or maybe there's more to the neighborhood than I'm seeing. Are the houses in Northwood Hills really that cheap?

Last edited by polo89; 02-27-2012 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach