U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,737 times

Advertisements

Im supposed to be moving there next month for a transfer for my bf's job. Were actually pretty broke as we speak we have an amazing 2 br apt in Fort Wayne, Indiana for $650. I know everythings more expensive in Florida. Can someone give me some info as to where/how I can find the cheapest apartment available as long as its not a shack? Also, how easy is it to get a just a little job like a waitress or cashier? And any other info you have please let me know! thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 11:53 AM

1,770 posts, read 7,926,985 times
West Palm Beach is cheaper than Fort Lauderdale; however, cheap typically does not mean good in South Florida, and I'd imagine that most bargain basement apartments here would be home to some shady and lower class individuals. Regardless, I did find this while searching online for $650 a month:

http://www.mynewplace.com/apartment/...l-7xg318285778

Old 12-19-2008, 12:16 PM

Location: Palm Beach County. Where people get murked by the grocery store.
164 posts, read 748,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
West Palm Beach is cheaper than Fort Lauderdale; however, cheap typically does not mean good in South Florida, and I'd imagine that most bargain basement apartments here would be home to some shady and lower class individuals.
well, i would say just because you are in a low class area(the ghetto) doesnt mean that everyone is a shady person. there are good people in the hood, and just because they may sell drugs, or do whatever doesnt make them a bad person. most times a drug dealer is simply trying to provide for a family the only way he can. i mean yes bad things do happen to good people, especially in bad areas. and there are bad people in bad areas. but if you know people who live there, make good with your neighbors you should have no problem. problems mostly come about when someone who doesnt live there/know anybody there comes through. thats when youll get robbed and what not. especially if you look like an easy target(white, weak lookin and what not

Old 12-19-2008, 12:22 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,926,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny561 View Post
well, i would say just because you are in a low class area(the ghetto) doesnt mean that everyone is a shady person. there are good people in the hood, and just because they may sell drugs, or do whatever doesnt make them a bad person. most times a drug dealer is simply trying to provide for a family the only way he can. i mean yes bad things do happen to good people, especially in bad areas. and there are bad people in bad areas. but if you know people who live there, make good with your neighbors you should have no problem. problems mostly come about when someone who doesnt live there/know anybody there comes through. thats when youll get robbed and what not. especially if you look like an easy target(white, weak lookin and what not
Yeah man I know what you mean but I think judging by what the OP is looking for they probably don't want to be in an environment like that. I think that lower income people can often be more respectful and caring than the *******s that live in higher class neighborhoods, and I live in an area surrounded by many lower income neighborhoods. Believe me we know if someone's new, a tourist, or lost. That could potentially cause problems for the OP though, as many of the lower income apartments especially attract the wrong kind of lower people (notice I said lower CLASS in my original post and not lower INCOME, because the two should not be lumped in with each other simply like that).

Old 12-19-2008, 04:28 PM

1,555 posts, read 3,974,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsh8807 View Post
Can someone give me some info as to where/how I can find the cheapest apartment available as long as its not a shack?
Check Rent.com, Craigslist for West Palm and Fort Lauderdale, and check the classifieds sections of the Palm Beach Post and Sun-Sentinel.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:15 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,996,250 times
If I were you I'd contact one of those "rent finder" places. Where exactly will your b/f be working?

Old 12-28-2008, 02:21 AM

910 posts, read 2,151,357 times
I'm "poor" and would not trust any 2BR in WPB for $650, it's likely to be in a bad neighborhood AND be a dump, trust me on that one! We have not been able to move out of a bad neighborhood because rents have not really gone down yet (but I'm hoping they may eventually). Now, when I came here 11 years ago a pretty decent 2 BR/2BA could be had for even a little less than that.

And to Manny561: Go ahead and try to believe your own bs but I tell you that anyone who sells drugs IS a bad person, just because one has to feed a family doesn't mean you have to choose an illegal activity to bring in money, that just means they're too lazy to do decent work, perhaps you're saying that because you do or have done that???

Old 12-29-2008, 02:19 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,016,358 times
Warning......debate opinions without attacking the poster.

Frank D.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:26 AM

522 posts, read 1,528,616 times
Well, you're not going to find anything for $650 unless it's in the hood. Rents have gone down here but not by that much. You have to be very careful where you live in West Palm because there can be a lot of crime there. It really does depend on where your boyfriend works. Also, you have to be very careful in general in south Florida. This is the land of con artists and drug addicts - don't bring your midwestern attitude with you (like I did) or you will get taken for your last dime. Be VERY careful who you get close to down here. As long as you do that, though, you'll be ok. As far as jobs, south Florida has been hit very hard by the economic crisis. But if you have experience as a cashier or waitress you should be able to get something. I would also recommend going to one of the real estate rental agencies - they charge no fee to you and are familiar with the areas and apartment communities. Some off the top of my head are Rent 1 Sale 1, Boca Valley Realty, Find a Home. Good luck to you.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:36 AM

Location: Palm Beach County. Where people get murked by the grocery store.
164 posts, read 748,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
I'm "poor" and would not trust any 2BR in WPB for $650, it's likely to be in a bad neighborhood AND be a dump, trust me on that one! We have not been able to move out of a bad neighborhood because rents have not really gone down yet (but I'm hoping they may eventually). Now, when I came here 11 years ago a pretty decent 2 BR/2BA could be had for even a little less than that.

And to Manny561: Go ahead and try to believe your own bs but I tell you that anyone who sells drugs IS a bad person, just because one has to feed a family doesn't mean you have to choose an illegal activity to bring in money, that just means they're too lazy to do decent work, perhaps you're saying that because you do or have done that???
You tell that to the family of 6 living in a 2 bedroom house on North Sapodilla. Tell that to someone who grew up around crime and it is a normal thing in life. Once youve been convicted of a felony(which most people whom live in that area have at a young age) its close to impossible to find a job. Nobody wants to hire the thug who cant afford good close to wear to a job interview. and really theres nothing wrong with selling drugs. people are going to do them anyways, and if you live in that area you mostly likely know a huge number of people who do. I'm sure if you couldnt find a job, and your family was starving you too would resort to somethin of that kind to come up with the cash to live. Don't Judge people when your not in their situation. and if your on a computer and have time to go on city-data.com then obviously youre not in their situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>