Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 09:18 AM

22 posts, read 69,814 times

Advertisements

I just moved down here 4 months ago from New England after taking a job in Boca Raton. My family will be joining me in about a month as we have just sold our house.

Right now I am staying with a friend in Boynton Beach, but with a 6 & 9 year old we need to find the right neighborhood/schools for the kids. The two communities we have it narrowed down to are Wellington and Coral Springs. Commute wise I don't think there is a huge difference during work hours. I've been told by many, as I work for the police department, that both have good schools and neighborhoods.

We seem to like the Coral Springs neighborhoods, house look and feel a little more than wellington, but again not sure.

Anyone have "GOOD" advise to pass along and not just the "it's bad all over Florida line"?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 04:19 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,137 times
I lived in Coral Springs for 16 years, 1981-1997. The reason we moved is because I would NOT raise a child there. When I grew up there, it was nice. There was very little crime, the traffic wasn't too bad, it was a very nice slice of suburbia.

Then in the mid '90's it started getting bad. Crime got worse, less desirables started moving in, they started building commercial building like crazy! Traffic is horrendous. My parents still live there. They unfortunately can't sell their house. Real Estate prices have dropped like a lead balloon. I dread going there and am so thankful I left.

Wellington, is much better. Not great, but better. The schools are certainly better. We lived in The Acreage which is just west of Wellington for 10 years. And I would choose that area over CS any day. Additionally, Broward county is becoming over-run with the overflow of Dade county. Which means, if you don't speak spanish, you're becoming the minority.

Just my two cents.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:04 PM

12 posts, read 42,423 times
We moved in August from New England (CT) to Wellington, and we love it. We have three kids, ages 8, 5 and 1. The elementary school and preschool we've enrolled my older two children in are wonderful. There are so many activities for families here, and we feel very safe. We haven't bought a house yet (still renting), but we've seen houses in many attractive, family-friendly neighborhoods. If you'd like any specific advice, please send me a message. Go Sox!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:23 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times
Neither Coral Springs or Wellington are dangerous areas. I prefer Wellington, though, as the people and variety of shopping and neighborhoods seem better to me than in Coral Springs. Neither are bad areas, though, and either will come down to personal preference. I'd suggest you visit both areas and make your own judgment about which city is better. Overall, though, Wellington is nicer looking, has better shopping, and feels more upscale to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach