Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,721 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm currently interviewing for a job that is located in the city of Juno Beach. I currently live in the Houston area and would be relocated by the hiring company. I'd like to tell you guys a bit about myself and my family in the hopes that you can suggest some areas that would be good places for us to live.

- I have a wife and five children still at home
- We homeschool
- We are Catholic
- I don't mind a commute of 30 minutes or so, each way
- Property prices are very high in Florida, from what I can see, compared to here in the Houston area
- We would like a 4 bedroom house with about 3000 square feet.
- We would be open to renting or buying.
- I can comfortably afford a $300,000 - $400,000 house/equivalent rental.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 2goldens; 10-19-2009 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: Moved from PSL, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:05 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
You can find homes in your price range in Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, and Martin County.

I saw a five bedroom listing in Frenchman's Landing in Palm Beach Gardens for under 400k, and there are listings in Palm Beach Country Estates and Jupiter Farms in that price range as well.

Remember than in FL, property taxes will be ROUGHLY 2% of assessed value. So figure that into your budget. Home owner's insurance will depend on the features of the house, and the location.

I would actually suggest this thread/question be posed in the "West Palm Beach" portion of the forum, as Juno is a lot closer to WPB than PSL/Vero.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,500,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaterDei View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently interviewing for a job that is located in the city of Juno Beach. I currently live in the Houston area and would be relocated by the hiring company. I'd like to tell you guys a bit about myself and my family in the hopes that you can suggest some areas that would be good places for us to live.

- I have a wife and five children still at home
- We homeschool
- We are Catholic
- I don't mind a commute of 30 minutes or so, each way
- Property prices are very high in Florida, from what I can see, compared to here in the Houston area
- We would like a 4 bedroom house with about 3000 square feet.
- We would be open to renting or buying.
- I can comfortably afford a $300,000 - $400,000 house/equivalent rental.

Thanks in advance.

I love Juno Beach and walk my dogs there every weekend.

Best of luck with the job and do rent as the property values are still dropping by a landslide and we have a long way to go yet.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:24 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,983,668 times
Why not just move to Juno ?
If you are working where I think you are, its an easy walk
to there from anywhere in Juno. Florida traffic is horrific.
Walking to work would greatly enhance your quality of life.
You could get something nice with your funds.
Juno is a very nice place if you are into a quiet lifestyle.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,401,837 times
If you are going to rent I would check out Evergrene. About 5-10 minutes from Juno Beach, great area for kids, great community pool/clubhouse and there are a lot of 5 bedrooms available for rent. Since you're renting you don't have to worry about the high HOA's they have there.
The area you are looking in is one of the areas that is still fairly high priced per square foot, but it is a very nice area and highly desirable. Great proximity to nice beaches, lots of restaurants, and shopping near buy.
There are other areas where you can get a little more home for your money.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:40 AM

3 posts, read 5,955 times
Is that evergreen acres? I too am looking for rentals but can't find evergreen.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:23 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You can find homes in your price range in Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, and Martin County.

Remember that in FL, property taxes will be ROUGHLY 2% of assessed value. So figure that into your budget.

Home owner's insurance will depend on the features of the house, and the location.
I believe that in Texas the property tax is ROUGHLY 3% of assessed value, though on average values are lower than in Florida, so it may be a wash.

There are many factors that determine home owner's insurance rates, the main ones being value of house, year of construction (1995 onwards is good, after 2001, I believe, is better, and certainly after 2005 is best), year and shape of roof and type of joints, proximity to ocean and/or flood zones, and the selection and quality of carriers writing policies in your zip code (this can vary significantly).

If you live on the south side of Houston, you may be used to high insurance rates, if on the north side, you may be in for a shock. For that reason alone, you may consider Jupiter Farms and other points further west.

Homeschooling is indeed probably your best option, especially with five kids.

God bless you and good luck!

Old 10-22-2009, 04:40 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Default Homeschooling Resources

Here are some URLs that might help.

The first offers a general guide to homeschooling in Florida.

Florida Homeschool Support Groups and Resources

The next two offer contact points for home school groups also located in north county. I cannot vouch for their quality.

https://www.homeschool-life.com/sysf...m?memberid=483

Christian Homeschool Support of the Western Communities

All the best!

Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,721 times
Thanks, everybody, for all the great advice.

Bale002, We've been Homeschooling here in Texas (and in Germany before that) for almost 20 years. The Florida HS laws seem to be a bit more restrictive than here in Texas. I'll start another thread (or search for on) to discuss that more fully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach