Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 11,083 times

Advertisements

A little bit about us. We are a young married couple, I’m 25 and my husband is 31, we are pregnant and hoping to have a large family of 4.
I’m Hispanic (Peruvian) and well my husband is (Irish American). I grew up all of my life in New York City, my husband grew up in Connecticut.. We currently live in a nice area in Brooklyn.. (There are actually a few nice areas in Brooklyn, downtown Brooklyn area). We are both educated and seek a family oriented neighborhood.
We currently make over 150K, combine income.

**My husband is looking for a job he has very rare set of skills in computer programming (php and mysql, etc)
Well our question was. Which city in south Florida would possibly fit us ?? We where eyeing Boca Raton.
Also, a couple of recruiter where telling my husband that a salary of 80K in Florida is equal to that of 130K in NYC. Does that sound right?
Also pro's and cons of Florida.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
this is a great resource tool, as dh and I are using it and it definately seems to be accurate...

Payroll-Taxes.com - The Premier Payroll Research Library on the Web!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM

53 posts, read 281,265 times
Welcome zyncity!
There are so many pro's and con's to South Florida. I love it, you may too. I would recomend a long weekend and check it out in person.

Check out the the city websites of Boca and surrounding areas.
Check out the Palm Beach County Public School website.

Best wishes to you and your growing family!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:55 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 659,723 times
This website is good as well, PaycheckCity.com | Web-Based Paycheck Calculators

I'm also doing the move from BK to FL but I've been here for 6 years and am originally from FL by way of CT at age 3. It's funny because our personal situations are reversed, my fiancé is 24 I'm 29 and he's Salvadorean while I'm Irish.

Good luck! The job search is the hardest part.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Hello all - I too am a NYer trying to get down to Florida, I'm 33 - Puerto Rican/Brazilian/German and my Husband is 34 - Argentinean - I don't think this was relevant, but figured we were all putting it out there so, I'm sharing too - LOL :-). We are trying to get there, but the job situation is really, really scary. I'm a legal Assistant and my DH is a Steamfitter, we make a combined income of about 160k here in NY. I'm just not even sure what we will get there. I can't even use the agencies, because the companies aren't using them anymore. Just wanted to ask what made you decid on Boca?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 11,036 times
I'm currently living in nyc and thinking about relocating to boynton beach. Is this a safe place to raise young children?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:16 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
from my research if u need schools, Id stay in West Boca Ive have called the schools, and I have to tell you I like what I hear..We have a son going into high school and its a school of excellence it might not mean much to those in florida, but the have the programs my son is looking for...My daughter will be going into 4th and I also liked what I heard, and they can give her the little extra help she needs...I also have a friend who's daughter is going to Loggers Middle school and is extremely happy...go to greatschools.net and look up West Boca Raton and then look up Boyton Beach....

Old 02-27-2009, 11:06 AM

162 posts, read 679,684 times
Boca schools are generally well regarded. Delray is a mixed bag and Boynton schools can be rough. Again, it depends on location. You can find their rankings at School Accountability Report

Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Like I said in past posts I have just come to FL and am in Boca. I am 30 and single but also heard the schools are good. I feel very safe here but in general it is older and I know at this time of year with the snow birds in it seems even more. When I first came down I was in Wellington which I think is very nice but younger and also heard it has a good school system. I went to Boyton Beach and some parts seemed ok and some not. That is what I found though a lot in Florida when I was looking. You can go from good area to bad in a short distance. I would encourage you if you can to rent first that way you can explore.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:16 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,563 times
You def need to come here and spend some time checking out the areas. Boca is upper class mostly, older and fake as in lots of plastic surgery goin on there if ya kwim? Also, noses up in the air galore, 8yr old girls walking around with Coach purses more expensive than I'd pay for one for myself. Get the picture? With that said, the schools there are known to be great.

West Boynton is very nice (west of Military Trail) and the schools are not that bad....Park Vista HS is only 5yrs old, A-rated and is one of the best in the county. They just built a brand new elementary school west of Jog off of Boynton Beach Blvd and right near that one is another elementary that was I think completely renovated.

There are many newer and still being built up, neighborhoods out here that are filled with younger families with kids. West Boynton does have some older populations but I'd say not as heavy as Delray and Boca.

HTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach