U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 AM

7,937 posts, read 18,903,664 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine stumbled upon this development in his research, can anyone tell me about it?? good/bad, social activites?? I went to the website, but very little info

TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 AM

17,288 posts, read 27,517,422 times
I lived in Abacoa for four years while a student. It's a development in the "New Urbanist" scheme... very family oriented area with a wide variety of housing, from apartments to condos to townhomes, to single family homes up to over a million dollars. There are different neighborhoods within the Abacoa community, each with a different feel and architecture. "New urbanism" is predicated on smaller lots and more "shared" community spaces and parks.

I know there's an elementary school and middle school in the community itself, as well as lots of green space, presevered areas, the Scripps Research Institute, Florida Atlantic University, a golf club, skate park....

They have a town center, with restaurants, shops, a salon. Could be busier, but some good things in there. There are periodic events every other weekend, and there is a baseball stadium where spring training games and farm team games are played through the spring and summer.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 AM

thank you maybe we will look into it then when they go to look
I wonder what high school they go to as I have a son entering 9th Grade...in August

Old 03-11-2009, 09:23 AM

17,288 posts, read 27,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
thank you maybe we will look into it then when they go to look
I wonder what high school they go to as I have a son entering 9th Grade...in August
I believe the high school is Jupiter High School.

Jupiter High School - Jupiter, Florida - FL - School overview

Maybe Dwyer High? But Dwyer is technically in Palm Beach Gardens and I don't know how the boundaries work.....

William T. Dwyer High School - Palm Beach Gardens, Florida - FL - School overview

Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 AM

431 posts, read 1,570,768 times
I checked one address in Abacoa that had Lighthouse Elementary, Independence Middle and Dwyer HS in PBG! I think it was in a community on the Southern end of Abacoa

Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 AM

162 posts, read 629,668 times
I live in New Haven (just east of Military) and we are in Dwyer's district. Think the cut off line is Frederick Small Road for Jupiter High. Dwyer is just south of Donald Ross Road on Military Trail.

I love Abacoa. The community might seem contrived to some (that was actually my first impression) but it is very walkable and I enjoy having a downtown village to visit from time to time. Spring training is a blast, and the minor league baseballs games are great for the children...

Old 03-21-2009, 01:59 PM

431 posts, read 1,570,768 times
Great info Native51. Can you tell us your opinion on Dwyer HS, and is there a big difference btw Dwyer and Jupiter HS? Also, can you give ma an idea of how much HO Insurance will be on a $400G home in Abacoa?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 AM

436 posts, read 1,013,890 times
BerryJuice,

Nice area

Old 03-22-2009, 10:29 AM

great thanks Hop, so its worth checking out...

Old 03-22-2009, 11:30 AM

436 posts, read 1,013,890 times
Yes, it's kind of like a place I live here in Orlando. Although I'd think down there more expensive. It might be a little "uppity" or "snobby-ish." It is like that where I live a little, so I'd think it might be like that there too. Just giving you a head's up. I hate that kind of attitude. Woman stays home, doesnt even work, things she deserves it all and tells people about where she shops, what she bought, etc... it's pretty prevelant down there, and here in Orlando too.

The funny thing is, my wife makes a lot of money too, maybe than some of these womens' husband's, but you'd never hear my wife say a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach