U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 PM

6 posts, read 21,900 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to West Boca or Parkand from NY. We have 3 children (12,10, & 7) and are looking for a gated/family community where people are friendly and where our children will be safe, happy, and with other kids. Good schools are also a must. What is the difference between West Boca and Parkland? Can anyone suggest any communities for us to look at. Also, is South Florida safe? I keep hearing alot about gangs, bugularies, and guns. Thanks in advance for any advice..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:44 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,429,808 times
It really is subjective - I don't think crime is worse there than here - but for some reason I feel like the chance of a random crime (car break-INS) is more mikey, but I could be wrong. What part of NYC are you from? I can then tell you which city I think you might like better.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 PM

8,377 posts, read 29,515,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTOBOCA View Post
I keep hearing alot about gangs, bugularies, and guns. Thanks in advance for any advice..
There are gangs, burglaries and guns where you live too. The frequency is just a matter of where you live and where you go, just like anywhere else.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 PM

NY - you have to use your common sense where ever you go - just figure you have a leg up, since you are likely to have york antennas up. You wouldn't live in the "ghetto" in NYC so, chances are you won't do that in florida - the random petty crime that occurs is not usually done in the gated communities. Otherwise , you know it is a neighbor or a neighbor's friend at minimum.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:02 AM

7,937 posts, read 19,208,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTOBOCA View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to West Boca or Parkand from NY. We have 3 children (12,10, & 7) and are looking for a gated/family community where people are friendly and where our children will be safe, happy, and with other kids. Good schools are also a must. What is the difference between West Boca and Parkland? Can anyone suggest any communities for us to look at. Also, is South Florida safe? I keep hearing alot about gangs, bugularies, and guns. Thanks in advance for any advice..
We are trying to move to West Boca ourselves, we are going to Visit Parkland as well while there, although from my research we are really prefering West Boca...I also have a 10 yr old and 14 yr old, and we are from NY as well...

good luck..

From what I can tell Parkland and West Boca schools are about the same, Ive heard exceptionally good things about them from friends who live in West Boca and their friends who live in Parkland..

That is very true, I can tell you NY that our crime here is really bad we have alot of attempted home break ins some actual, and car break ins are VERY common here and we live in a very nice part of town...with that being said there was a report about the Gangs here and its definately scary...unfortuantley it is everywhere u go, but I wouldnt worry to much on these areas...our friends have lived there for 11 years and has a middle schooler and no problems...

in West Boca check out: Waters Edge Elem, Sandpiper Elem, Loggers Middle and West Boca High School..this school just recieved "A School of Excellence" I know here and in NJ that was a big thing..

I can give u a list of Sub divisions we are going to see within these schools of West Boca, if u like..What is your price range???

Old 03-13-2009, 06:32 AM

637 posts, read 1,090,598 times
Both areas are real nice but my preference is Parkland. As for crime...I've been in law enforcement in New York City and down here in Florida and in my opinion crime is more prevalent in South Florida than New York City.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 AM

You'll see what I said earlier Sgt. I believe you are more likely to be a victim of a petty crime in SFL and I'm basing that just on what people say daily not on statistics. But, just as people who have been victims of crime here (NYC) would disagree that NYC is really safe, those who have never been victims of crimes in SFL feel like SFL is safe. A lot of it has to do with personal experience. The crimes that happen in florida and are reported aren't necessarily reported frequently in NY. If someone goes through your car because you left the door open, do you call the cops? Sometimes, but I would think not all the time, what can you do to get that stuff back? Nothing, so what's the point to make a big deal out of it (I'm thinking from a NYers stand point). Those crimes are very common in Jersey, LI, Upstate. I think just the sheer volume of people make it difficult for petty crimes like these to be committed here.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:54 AM

431 posts, read 1,587,992 times
I have also been in Law Enforcement in NY and how anybody can make a blanket statement about crime being greater in NYC over South Florida is beyond me. NYC is a rather large area, as is South Florida. Are we comparing The Upper West Side to Boca, or are we comparing Washington Heights to W. Boca??? Come on people. Lets be serious here. Is Boca dangerous??? Give me a break! Is Parkland dangerous??? Give me a break!!!!! The simplest of research will provide the answers. You probably already know the answers. Lets talk more about a friendlier, more active, more shopping and restaurants, kid friendly kinda community....like the OP originally asked...PARKLAND OR BOCA???? I would like to know that also????

Old 03-13-2009, 08:32 AM

7,937 posts, read 19,208,782 times
Yup I agree U, I would also like to know which communites if any have "Social Activies" for adults and children like a Bunco night or a Card night...well for the Adults...I wish that West Boca had a community like Abacoa, because I dont really think im too interested in Jupiter....again we would rather stay in West Boca and possibly Parkland...

Old 03-13-2009, 08:37 AM

6 posts, read 21,900 times
Thanks for all the replys to my post. I'm not concerned about car break ins, etc. I guess the youth gang thing I heard about kind of scared me. We live on Long Island and I know that in our area our children will most probably not be exposed to gangs and guns. I read a whole thing regarding youth gangs in South Florida and was wondering if I was making the wrong decision by going down there. Would still like to know the differences between Parkland and Boca if anyone knows. I hear Boca is very pretentious as are some towns on Long Island. I guess it probably depends on which community you move into. I am looking for a close knit community that is friendly (if that exists) and good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>