U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 02:18 PM

34 posts, read 155,614 times

Advertisements

Hi, I posted earlier about this community. We are really considering buying in there as I stated earlier, we left a deposit on a home yesterday. If anyone lives there already do you have any regrets about the move? Also, we are very curious if anyone bought any of the spec homes, thats what we intend to do. I know they clnd. up the soil but was wondering about the soil under the foundation. We were told by the saleswoman that the soil under the home is like in a capsule and the the toxins are contained. What is the imput on this? How about the pool issues, has anyone contracted a pool after moving in? Was the expensive extensive due to the removal or "toxic" water and soil? We are really torn with this, really love the homes and community, but have questions about the stigma relating to the issues with ground contamination. Have any of the other communities in Wellington experienced anything similar? Sorry to ramble, I know I am throwing a lot out there. Look forward to any and all the advice/imput that is recieved. Thank you again.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 02:55 PM

114 posts, read 411,736 times
I put $ down on a house, couldn't sleep, and got it back. Yeah, they "cleaned" it up but what about when they start building again? All that dust blowing around? No thank you. It is enticing, but to me, not worth the unknown risk. Too many houses out there for similar good prices. I couldn't take that chance with my children.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind me asking how long ago did you have dealings with Oakmont Estates? Also, did you find a place that compares to the houses in OE? Please share the info.!! Thanks.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:11 PM

About one month ago. I found a much better home that was in foreclosure. It was biger, better upgraded, had a pool/spa, bigger lot. A little more $$.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:15 PM

Good luck to you and your family!! Did you stay in Wellington? Don't know where to continue the search for a home like those in OE.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:19 PM

Yes. Stayed in Wellington. We love it. Check out Grand Isles, Isles of Wellington, Wellington Shores. Check the short sales and foreclosures in Versailles. There are many others. Good luck to you too. I did fall in love with OE. I understand.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:48 PM

Thanks Bobstar. I think we will do a little more "investigating" about the community before giving up on it. I still welcome any information anyone has on the area, especially from it's residents. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM

Have you requested the soil reports? I did. Have you seen the aerial photos of when it was a shooting range? I did. Have you contacted the Florida DEP? I did. Then I asked for my $$ back.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:26 PM

Bobstar, We have the rpt. that the sales office gave us from the FDEP. I have not seen the arial photos of the range, where and how do I get those? Have talked to a new homeowner in there about a week and the brother is a geologist and had contact with the FDEC and reviewed the findings and gave his family the okay to move in. My husband just called and ssid the saleswoman called him to say they are having some sort of open house and lunch tomorrow at OE. They really want to sell the homes that are built already. Wonder when they plan on putting up the new models they told us about. Let me know where to view the pictures of the firing range that was once OE. Thanks again!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:44 PM

Ask the sales rep. It was provided to me. Also ask about the new homes they plan to build. Did they tell you that they won't be built with concrete block on the second floor, or they won't have the same quality finishes as the first round of houses? In other words, the new homes will be built cheaper which will bring down the prices and they won't be the same as the houses already there.

Although it may seem that I'm trying to pick a fight with you, I'm not. I did a lot of research and thinking about this exact decision you are about to make. Yes, people are buying the houses. People also paid way too much money for houses all over during the boom, did that make it a smart decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach