U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,427 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move to PBC with her family. We both have family in Ft. Lauderdale, as well as a close friend that now lives in Lake Worth. We plan on renting for a bit to make our end decision, as that is what most of you say on here is the smartest idea. But I would like if possible some recommendations as to good areas and such.

Our plan is to buy within a year. Ideally speaking the house would be a two story house, non HOA (I think), 3+ bedroom, 2 bath house in an area with a good school district as we plan on having two kids in 4-6 years. Ideally in 4-6 years we both should have steady teaching jobs, and at that time buy a 1-2BR ranch for her parents to live in. This is ideal, we could live together indefinitely if things do not work out as we live together now with no problems.

We would like to live somewhere between Ft. Lauderdale and Lake worth, Ideally closer to Lake Worth but not in Lake Worth as from what I have been reading it is not the best area to move into. We have 250-280k from the sale of our current house but would only like to spend maximum of 200k on the new house and if possible below 150k. Shortsales + foreclosures are an option, as I have experience in carpentry, electric, and plumbing. So I could work on the house and get it ready while we are still renting.

Closer to the beach is nice, but will sacrifice distance to the beach for a larger house under 150k.

So I guess my overall goal is best school districts between Ft. Lauderdale and Lake worth?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:32 PM

11 posts, read 54,812 times
Default We suggest Boca Raton!

Two main things I have learned while recently looking for a house in Boca Raton is that there is East of 95 and there is West of 95. We wanted to find a house closer to the water (East of 95) and learned that these houses are mostly built from the 1950's to 1980's. 95% are one story homes. West of 95 are the newer developments and lots of huge, beautiful homes but a lot are in gated communities and have high HOA fees. Not all though. We LOVE Boca Raton after living in West Palm Beach and Boynton Beach. Living in Northeast Boca, we haven't really experienced the snobby people that we heard so much about. I would trade the grimey, dirty things we have seen and experienced in West Palm and Boynton for the 'snobby' aire of Boca. We noticed a lot of seniors during the season but it's Florida. We think Boca is wonderful for families and personally I would never want my kids to go to Public school in WPB or BB. Boca has really a good public school system and there is a lot to do, for families and for couples. Boca is also close to cities like Ft. Lauderdale (40 mins or so) and it's still close enough to Lake Worth if you want to visit up there. We looked at houses in the 300K range, so I don't have much info for you about houses around here in that range, but maybe someone else could help. There were a lot of short sale and foreclosures when we looked, so maybe your skills could come in handy. If you choose to look at Delray Beach which is north of Boca, you have to be careful about where you rent or buy because some areas are sketchy and others are beautiful. No matter where you go, Florida is amazing and I dont think I can ever live anywhere else now that I've experienced it. I think you and your wife will be really happy with all the outdoor activities, outdoor markets, shows and especially the beach! Good luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach