U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 20,264 times

Advertisements

I am moving from New York with my wife and 6 month old son. We are looking to rent for a year, then buy. Safety is our main concern as is education. Recommendations?

Everything I've read refers to PBC as a cesspool of crime. I may just stay in NY if it's gotten that bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:14 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 621,207 times
Look into Boca Raton, Jupiter, Tequesta, North Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens and Juno Beach which are all safe. Stay out of Riviera Beach, certain areas of West Palm Beach, and Lake Worth. Of course there are "bad" areas of Palm Beach County but for the most part it's safe and beautiful. I'd say that it's hands down a better place to have your family than NYC.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:56 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,564,509 times
It really depends on your reasons for moving.
IMHO, the education system in New York (and New England in general) is better. But there are a lot of parents who are very happy with the schools in Florida, both public and private. Of course, re: Florida schools, private is better than public (except for Dreyfoos or even Bak, which are very good.)
I agree with m5* re: good and bad areas. In comparison to NYC, you will find less crime. My best comparison for Riviera Beach in your area would be New Haven; the two are pretty comparable; Riviera is New Haven without Yale. All other Fl areas mentioned by m5* are very low crime.
Re: towns, Juno Beach would be my pick, if you can afford it; the place is nothing short of paradise: great beach, great park, friendly people, good schools, although it is very small and has fewer amanities than, say, Jupiter. Out west (Wellington, Royal Palm areas) are also worth a look, although we have recently seen a spike in crime (although I still forget to lock my car, without disastrous consequences.)
In terms of culture, WPB cannot compare to NYC, so please don't expect it to, as you will be extremely disappointed. But if you are sick of the seasons, do not mind hot and rainy summers (with the occasional hurricane), like very mild winters and seek suburbia with palm trees and sandy beaches, then you would be very happy moving to WPB.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:14 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,798,258 times
If you are most concerned with schools, you might want to
look at Martin Co. As another person said, Juno is a paradise.
I wouldnt move anywhere south of Northlake if you are worried
about crime. But, we've even suffered some bad stuff in Juno.
I would read the front page of the Palm Beach Post everyday
while making your decision. I feel much safer in Brooklyn and
the City than most anywhere in West Palm. Do your research
carefully. This is nothing like NY or any eastern city. If you
enjoy having stuff to do close by and dont like being married
to your car, and you find gated community / Mall mindset
offensive, you will hate it here.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:21 AM

638 posts, read 1,084,711 times
I have to interject here....first let me say that I have chosen Florida over New York City and would do so again in a heartbeat......but:
1) The school system down here is NOT as good as the public school system in New York City. I have three school aged kids in Florida schools that are all "A" rated, and the schools are pretty good but they teach the children to pass a test (FCAT) I'm not really sure they teach the kids much else.
2) I have worked in Law Enforcement in NYC (retired after 20 years in NYPD) and am presently working in law enforcement in South Florida...there is DEFINITELY more crime in South Florida (Palm Beach County included) than in New York City. The UCR crime statistics released by the Feds will bear that out. There are a lot of young kids down here running around with handguns and even AK47s.
Now, you must put this in perspective.......if you live in a nice area in Palm Beach County (most of the areas listed above) you will have a very low chance of being the victim of a crime and the schools will probably be pretty good too....I just want to give you a fair assessment of Florida vs NYC.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:42 PM

10 posts, read 40,418 times
Well my friend, I'm orginally from NYC( as is my whole family) but spent twelve years of my life in Palm Beach b4 moving away (because of job reasons.) Let me break it down for you because I'm familiar with both places:

Florida is generally much more cheaper than the tri state area: you can buy a decent home for 250k and a really nice one for 500k

here is also less traffic in Florida, just don't rely to much on the mass transit though, if you want to count Tri rail and Palm Tran as mass transit.

It is an easier flow of life in Florida

The schools in Florida really depend on where you are, like NYC. Boca and Del ray have pretty good public schools as does parts of Boynton. Also, you may want to use some of the money you save with the living costs and just put ur kids in private schools if they don't work. Also West Palm has some decent magnet schools (actually better than decent)

Also, I'm not sure what you do but there are many more jobs in NYC than West Palm Beach. Comparing the job markets of Miami to NYC is one thing, but Palm Beach doesn't hold a candle to NYC's. And its pretty hard to get down to Miami, traffic can be hard on that drive and tri-rail can be tricky.
Now safety, oh boy.

West Palm Beach is in the top 15 most dangerous cities as of 2006, when I left. DO NOT live in the city of West Palm Beach or Riveria Beach. Those are 'hoods' Avoid most of Lake Worth. Boca and Del ray are ideal. Boynton is good too. I lived in West Boynton (which unfortunately had a lake worth address) and it was okay. Not the safest area; there were some robberies and shootings but when you take everything else into account i stills ay its pretty good.

Bottom line, NYC is much safer than West Palm Beach, I would know. However, as if you live in Boca or Del Ray and aren't a ganster (which I'm sure your not) you will probably be fine. Schools there are good and its fairly affordable (at least del ray is) good luck!

Old 06-06-2009, 06:26 PM

17,292 posts, read 27,767,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdash8
West Palm Beach is in the top 15 most dangerous cities as of 2006, when I left. DO NOT live in the city of West Palm Beach or Riveria Beach. Those are 'hoods' Avoid most of Lake Worth.
West Palm Beach has fallen off the list of "most dangerous metros" as of 2008. Crime is down over 50% since 2006. It is now 47th from the top, which isn't a great distinction, but is a safer metro than places that don't normally get a "bad rap" -- like St. Petersburg, FL, Indianapolis, Rochester, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Dallas, etc.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf

I would also caution against warning someone not to live in West Palm Beach. West Palm Beach has a "hood," it is not "the hood" in total.

The city's "Southend" is actually one of the more unique and genuine areas in Palm Beach County, with REAL walkable neighborhoods (not gated fakeness), and has everything from solid working class neighborhoods, to homes on the intracoastal that put to shame anything in "West Boynton" or whatever.

The city's NORTHend.... in particular, the part bordering Riviera Beach is the "hood" and most people will naturally avoid the area just because of how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdash8
Boca and Del ray are ideal. Boynton is good too. I lived in West Boynton (which unfortunately had a lake worth address) and it was okay. Not the safest area; there were some robberies and shootings but when you take everything else into account i stills ay its pretty good.
Delray and Boynton, like Lake Worth and WPB, have their "hood" areas, as well as their good areas. Lake Worth's hood area is basically South of downtown. Delray Beach has a great downtown and beach area, but you have to drive through the hood to get to it.

For people who don't want to be sequestered to some Western County area, and actually want to live near the coast (and who don't mind or actually want that Cary, NC "white bread" type existence in Florida) I always recommend Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter. Very safe areas.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:33 PM

1,701 posts, read 4,092,550 times
Just like any area there is crime. I'm sure there's people on Northern Minnesota forums complaining about how bad the crime is there. I'm not downplaying the fact that there is crime here, but you learn very quickly what areas to stay away from like the areas in the posts above. South Florida is a little odd in the way that most areas aren't really master planned. In many areas you have trailer parks next to 500k+ homes (which are of course gated). A quick drive through of the area will usually tell you where not to go.
If you want to play it safe stay West of 95 or to the North in PBC. Newer developments, good schooling, and you can catch some great deals right now. (You won't see too many kids running around with AK47's in these parts...)

Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 PM

6 posts, read 34,095 times
For future notice look into Alamanda Elementry, in Palm Beach Gardens. I went there when I was a little guy, Alamanada has gifted programs, VERY SAFE aftercare (I'd know my mom was going through a nasty divorce and my father wanted to try to get me out of it and take me for himself. Safe to say he didn't get too far since the counclers kept a good eye on me and all the kids), and Summer camp. I've lived in Palm Beach Gardens 98% of my lfie time and it's safe the nightborhood I live in we got parents walking their kids down the sidewalk with smiles and whatnot. Dont go south of Northlake Blvd for housing. Stay north.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 PM

22 posts, read 80,515 times
I live in North Palm Beach. Very nice area, but if you have kids that will be attending public school... I do not recommend this neighborhood (city). I have 2 children in a public "A" rated neighborhood elementary school, but most people in my neighborhood have their children in private schools because Riviera Beach is bussed to our school. Normally, I would not mind it... how much trouble could elementary age children be??? Well, I had trouble with my son being punched every day for almost a whole year, until I threatened to cause a scene. Then he started coming home talking about Detention Centers and gangs. Told me that he heard it from kids at school... We're talking SECOND grade.
I also lived in Loxahatchee where my oldest went to Kindergarten... LOVED it. Great school, teachers, principal, students, & parents. My sister is still out there with a daughter in 4th grade (& she's a teacher). They are still very happy.
I understand how difficult this decision can be. We're going through the same thing, but trying to get out of FL. Do not want to raise kids here. If you will not be raising children in the area, though. North Palm Beach is a GREAT area. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach