U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:56 AM

7 posts, read 18,667 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I just moved from Cali to Boca. We're looking for recommendations on grocery stores, need a good vet for our jack russell dogs, is there a beach close by that allows dogs? Also looking for a non-denominational Christian church. Starting from stratch and missing my family...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 07:29 AM

3,171 posts, read 7,255,510 times
There is a Whole Foods if you like more organic and I am direction challenged but I think it is on Glades road near the airport. It is in a plaza with Barnes and Nobel. Then of course there are Publix everywhere and Albertsons. I like Superwalmart and there is a location in Coconut Creek. I am sorry I don't know of vets. Well actually when my mom came to visit she brought our dog and he needed special food. I called a vet in Regency Ct called Regency Vet I am pretty sure and they were nice and held it for a week. This is in Boca off Yamato. There is a church I pass by on Yamato right after Jog that looks super busy. I am sorry I am Jewish so don't know if it is what you are looking for but just a thought. You can PM me if you want. I used to live in So Cal too.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:01 PM

439 posts, read 1,647,961 times
9 times out of 10, you can't go wrong with Publix. Then again, it's pretty hard to find much of anything else. If you like the organic thing, Whole Foods is also good but pricey. Whole Foods is located on Glades Road just east of 95, nearby the Boca Airport. Publix has their own version of organic called Greenwise. It's in a plaza off Glades and St. Andrews. My husband's co-workers call it the Hippie Publix.

See the other recent post about vets.

As far as dogs and beaches go, the only beach in Palm Beach County that allows dogs is up in Jupiter. That's about 40 or so miles north of Boca. There is a 2 1/2 mile stretch north of the Jupiter pier that allows dogs to be leash-free. Just remember to pick up afterwards. Friends of Jupiter Beach provides baggy stations, but bring some of your own just in case the stations are empty.

There is the one church that was mentioned. It's called Spanish River Church. They dropped Presbyterian from their name a few years ago. They're located at Yamato and St. Andrews. I can't think of any that are specifically non-denominational though.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:56 PM

6,006 posts, read 9,775,440 times
Smile Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcaligirl View Post
My hubby and I just moved from Cali to Boca. We're looking for recommendations on grocery stores, need a good vet for our jack russell dogs, is there a beach close by that allows dogs? Also looking for a non-denominational Christian church. Starting from stratch and missing my family...
I live in central Boca - but some places, Publix (also has a GreenWise), Howard's Market on SW 18 Street, Whole Foods - all excellent. If you are east, Publix at Federal & Camino Real is the cleanest.

Vet - Boca Greens on SR 7 south of Yamato, north of Glades. Super nice.

Church - Spanish River Church (Spanish River Church) - I go there, wonderful new pastor too; also Calvary Chapel you might like.

Feel free to e-mail me. Welcome to Boca!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:30 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,831,185 times
Dear cp,
First, welcome to city-data!

I do not know the area, but for a church, I suggest;

1) Check the religion section of the local paper for the church ads, etc.

2) Visit the local christian bookstores in the area for their recommendations...they should know what is available once you tell them your preferences.......

3) Do a google search, then check out the churches that have their own websites....most of the larger contemporary Christian churches have them, and they should tell you much about their strong points and doctrine, mission statements, programs, etc.

Remember that there are no perfect churches.....which is good because none of us are either. One should be a good fit......

Good luck! Frank

Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 AM

71 posts, read 166,143 times
Welcome to Boca! I too lived in So. California. The Sun Sentinel Forum section just did an article on a Boca Dog Beach - so perhaps one day we'll have one. If you live in West Boca, there is "Canine Cove" Canine Cove at South County Regional Park (http://www.pbcgov.com/parks/dogparks/caninecove/ - broken link)
This dog park is free. Mizner Bark costs over $200 if you live outside the city limits.

Dr. Michael Posner, DVM, www.mobilevet2u.com, will come to your house at your convenience and is competitively priced. I think his coupon is $30 for the house call.

You picked a great location. Boca is convenient to everything. I'm sure you'll be happy - best of luck.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runwiththewind4 View Post
The Sun Sentinel Forum section just did an article on a Boca Dog Beach - so perhaps one day we'll have one.
Can you post a link on this one? I'd like to see it.

Quote:
Mizner Bark costs over $200 if you live outside the city limits.
Or if you park around the corner from the place on the weekends, it's still free. But you didn't hear me say that.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:06 PM

71 posts, read 166,143 times
Desdemona25 - you little devil.

http://www.ci.boca-raton.fl.us/rec/dogpark/

Yamato Road to Military Trail:
Take Military Trail south (past Spanish River Blvd. and Potomac) to Banyan Trail. Turn left onto Banyan Trail. The Dog Park will be on your left.

Palmetto Park Road to Military Trail:
Take Military Trail north (under overpass for I-95 - past Butts Road) to Banyan Trail. Turn right into Banyan Trail. The Dog Park will be on your left.

Dog Park
751 Banyan Trail
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Phone (561) 393-7821

Old 06-14-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Desdemona25 - you little devil.

City of Boca Raton - Recreation Services - Dog Park

Yamato Road to Military Trail:
Take Military Trail south (past Spanish River Blvd. and Potomac) to Banyan Trail. Turn left onto Banyan Trail. The Dog Park will be on your left.

Palmetto Park Road to Military Trail:
Take Military Trail north (under overpass for I-95 - past Butts Road) to Banyan Trail. Turn right into Banyan Trail. The Dog Park will be on your left.

Dog Park
751 Banyan Trail
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Phone (561) 393-7821
It was actually one of my neighbors out here in the "undocumented visitor" area of West Boca that told me about the little trick.

Actually, since the one opened at at South County Regional, I haven't been back to Mizner Bark. I can't take my daughter with me to Mizner because she gets bored REALLY quickly. At least at Canine Cove there is also a really nice playground and a bathroom--Mizner has neither.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,819 times
Default Here Also

You could also try [url=http://www.DutyGearStore.com]Welcome - Tactical Gear, Police Equipment, Duty Gear, DutyGearStore.com[/url] They are based in West Palm and sell all kinds of tactical gear for your protection. Welcome to Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach