Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,716 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Dallas,TX (for 9 years now) after growing up in Oklahoma. My husband is a pilot and is flying out of Miami Airport. We are strongly considering moving to FL so our family can be together. We have a three year old. We believe this move will be temporary - around 2-3 years. This will give us time together until he can fly out of Dallas. My son will probably not go to school in FL, but we would like to find a family friendly neighborhood with good schools just in case. I run an online business, so my job is not dependent on where we live.

I keep running into road blocks. I've looked into Naples (too old and too far away), Boca (too uppity), Coral Gables (too exp), DelRay Beach (concerned about schools), etc. My husband doesn't have to commute everyday, so we don't have to live next to the airport, but I know the traffic is horrendous, so I don't want to get too far away.

Our budget is about $350k for a house. We are just the kind of people that buy, not rent and can probably rent our house while we are gone to make up for the payment. I'm not set on an HOA or not. We have one now, and it's fine. I like funkier houses with character, but my husband loves new houses or at least totally remodeled. The beach close by would be nice.

I feel like I can't contact a realtor yet, because we haven't pinpointed an area. What do you think about Cooper City, Tequesta, or Jupiter? Other places I haven't considered?

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.
Anne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
I dont think boca is too upity? I thought that too until moving here and I dont feel that way anymore as u will have Upity people everywhere...there is cooper city which I hear is very nice with very good schools as we have reserached this as well..Jupiter is going to be way too far for your dh, as we were looking there too and it was just too long of a commute for my husband...

Old 07-31-2009, 10:12 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,798 times
I would look into Weston as I hear nothing but good things about it. I am originally from S FL, and there are only a couple places down there I'd even consider living in. Boca has a very uppity/NY feel to it which I am not a fan of. In fact, one of our friends is a travel RN, and she said Boca Raton was the worst place when it came to dealing with the people there. And being from Oklahoma/Texas, I think a lot of places in S FL will not be ideal, but that's just a guess.

But if you have to move, then you have to make the best of it, so definitely choose your new ocation wisely. I'd stay out of Miami-Dade Co. completely by the way.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 AM

693 posts, read 2,176,669 times
What about Hallandale?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
I would look into Weston as I hear nothing but good things about it. I am originally from S FL, and there are only a couple places down there I'd even consider living in. Boca has a very uppity/NY feel to it which I am not a fan of. In fact, one of our friends is a travel RN, and she said Boca Raton was the worst place when it came to dealing with the people there. And being from Oklahoma/Texas, I think a lot of places in S FL will not be ideal, but that's just a guess.

But if you have to move, then you have to make the best of it, so definitely choose your new ocation wisely. I'd stay out of Miami-Dade Co. completely by the way.
I have quiet a few friends in Weston and the same would hold true as Boca...Weston Schools are very good alos, and its beautiful there...

Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,716 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. I did a search on some houses in Weston and didn't see anything that jumped out at me. I'll look again though.

So you think that Jupiter/Tequesta is too far away? Shoot.

Damemeow: My husband rents an apartment in Hollywood currently, and isn't thrilled with the area. Hallandale looks really close by. Is the area totally different or much of the same?

Thanks, everyone. Keep the suggestions coming.
Anne

Old 07-31-2009, 11:47 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,160 times
Jupiter is going to be a haul to Miami. It's a great area and you can find some very nice homes in your price range, but it would be a like a 90 minute drive or so.
West Boynton would be a great option, there's a newer area called Canyons. It's about a 15 minute drive to the beach, but the schools are great (brand new)and it's a real nice area. You can get alot of home for $350k there, including never lived in homes. This is just one of the options there. I know it has the Boynton tag with it which so many people don't like on here, but if you went through the neighborhood you would be thouroughly impressed. It is an HOA, but they have a great clubhouse, its gated, nice pool etc. It's also very close to the turnpike for an easy drive for your husband. There's some other real nice communities like Greystone, Lake Charleston, Smith Farms to name a few in the area.

RMLS RES Customer No VT Report

Old 07-31-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I have quiet a few friends in Weston and the same would hold true as Boca...Weston Schools are very good alos, and its beautiful there...
Then I'd vote for neither I guess, lol. Never been to Weston, but have been to Boca Raton. If I wanted to live in a retirement community with grouchy retirees from NY, I'd move there , lol.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 PM

Anything in PBC will be waaaay too far to drive; too far and too many maniacs on that long drive. You would end up miserable on that drive, I guarantee it.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Then I'd vote for neither I guess, lol. Never been to Weston, but have been to Boca Raton. If I wanted to live in a retirement community with grouchy retirees from NY, I'd move there , lol.
Hahaha your funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach