U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 08:31 PM

114 posts, read 411,909 times

Advertisements

"I would not buy in Wellington b/c it is on the decline. Crime is increasing and, while the schools are better in comparison to other PBCounty schools, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are good. I would say that they are fair, at best.
Also, homes are built on very small lots and are not of the best construction. Even the "million dollar homes" admit water during hurricanes. And although home prices have declined, they are still overpriced.
I agree with looking for something farther north. I have heard that St. Augustine is beautiful--tradional and charming, the way Florida used to be, they seem to have been able to preserve a lot of their historic heritage.
By contrast, Wellington is very new (>50 years old.) IMHO, it is very devoid of character, and consists of concrete and palm trees.
Moreover, it is overrun with elitist horsy-types in the winter who distinguish themselves from year-round residents (I have often heard them refer to "townies" as "they" and never in a positive light, although I doubt they would say it to someone's face.)
And as another poster pointed out, there are lots of restrictions (i.e. HOA fees, leash laws, etc.) than in places like Loxahatchee (where you have more freedom and independence wrt your property but fewer amenities.)
If I were to buy, I would definitely buy farther north."

Wellington is on the decline? Compared to what? Take a look around you, the the world is facing the worst economy in more than 3 generations. Wellington has much to offer including a population that has a higher income and education level as well as higher property values than most of the entire state of Florida. I would agree with the above poster that it appears that Wellington is not for you, and yes, you do seem to be exaggerating and not exactly being factual with your opinions.

Also, there are lots of places that are nice and charming and great vacation destinations, but most people have to work. When looking for a place to call home, one must also consider this. Wellington is just minutes from West Palm Beach and an easy commute to Boca. The drive to Miami is also not that bad. I do it for work several times a month. And what is your problem with the equestrian community? Someone ask you to to lesh your dog?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 06:16 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,347 times
I had rented though for very short time in the Polo Club in Wellington and loved it. I had to move when in season at the rentals became 2000-3000 a month because of the horse season. So is this area one of the few better ones in Wellington? I did not get to explore much and now am in Boca but was just curious.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 PM

4,033 posts, read 9,232,586 times
Wellington is on the decline? Compared to what? Take a look around you, the the world is facing the worst economy in more than 3 generations. Wellington has much to offer including a population that has a higher income and education level as well as higher property values than most of the entire state of Florida. I would agree with the above poster that it appears that Wellington is not for you, and yes, you do seem to be exaggerating and not exactly being factual with your opinions.

Also, there are lots of places that are nice and charming and great vacation destinations, but most people have to work. When looking for a place to call home, one must also consider this. Wellington is just minutes from West Palm Beach and an easy commute to Boca. The drive to Miami is also not that bad. I do it for work several times a month. And what is your problem with the equestrian community? Someone ask you to to lesh your dog?[/quote]

First of all, my opinion is based on fact. All you have to do is check out the City-Data pages for Wellington and St. Augustine to see that there has been a steady rise in crime in Wellington over the past ten years. Moreover, the educational percentages are nearly the same. Furthermore, I am well-aware that the OP has to work but when was the last time you looked at a map? St. Aug is just as far away from Jacksonville as Wellington is from Boca, WPB or Miami.
The next time you decide to verbally attack someone, I suggest that you research your own opinion first to make sure that it is based upon the valid facts that you are accusing someone else's opinion to be lacking of. Your opinion is actually the opinion that is not based upon facts (which is actually the very definition of an opinion, but I won't even get into that.)
Quite frankly, you haven't exactly provided an example of the "highly educated" Wellington resident of whom you so emphatically speak.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,114,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post

The Wellington Mall is on the fringe of Wellington and not positioned in a residential area.
The fringe? Maybe 10 years ago, the mall was the fringe. Actuallly the original "Wellington" signs was the fringe years ago. The fringe now if driving on Forest Hill is the Turnpike.

I'm surprised they didn't annex more then what they did over the past 10 years.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:09 PM

691 posts, read 2,164,631 times
I would buy a house in Wellington in a heartbeat. They are so cheap now, it is like a "blue light special". There is alot of money in the community, horse area, far enough inland that hurricanes will not be too bothersome.
I know so many people who are doing short sales on their homes there now, rather than deal with the huge mortgage. Do it...you won't regret it, and it can only go up in value. Can't go any cheaper...

Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,923,018 times
Once the short sale renters go away, there SHOULD be a slight turn around in crime. Keep in mind most of these people are paying next to nothing to rent some very nice homes on a month to month basis. Once the short sales are gone they will not be able to live in the neighborhoods they are currently in. Even if the house is purchased by an investor, they are still going to rent it out to someone that will take care of it.
I just saw a 4500 sqft foreclosure in Olympia for $440k. I think I would risk riding it out for a deal like that....
I personally like being closer to the beach though.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:07 AM

17,288 posts, read 26,997,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane;
First of all, my opinion is based on fact. All you have to do is check out the City-Data pages for Wellington and St. Augustine to see that there has been a steady rise in crime in Wellington over the past ten years.
Actually, you're wrong. According to the crime stats for Wellington on City-Data, the crime rate since 2000 is as follows:

2000: 289.4
2001: 272.8
2002: 297.6
2003: 237.8
2004: 264.6
2005: 241.0
2006: 242.0

Unfortunately, I cannot find 2007 or 2008, but I don't recall reading recently that the crime rate was "going up" in Welington. Needless to say, since the national average for crime is 320.9.

In 2007, Money Magazine also named Wellington one of the best places to live in America.

Now, St. Augustine's crime rate since 2000 is as follows:

2000: 528.7
2001: 627.0
2002:582.7
2003: 546.0
2004: 531.0
2005: 569.5
2006: 552.5
2007: 653.3

In other words, the crime rate is more than double in St. Augustine than Wellington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlajane
The next time you decide to verbally attack someone, I suggest that you research your own opinion first to make sure that it is based upon the valid facts that you are accusing someone else's opinion to be lacking of. Your opinion is actually the opinion that is not based upon facts (which is actually the very definition of an opinion, but I won't even get into that.)
Quite frankly, you haven't exactly provided an example of the "highly educated" Wellington resident of whom you so emphatically speak.

Interesting, considering.

Also, according to this crime comparison link:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Crime Rates

Wellington
Violent Crime = 2 Property Crime = 2

St. Augustine
Violent Crime = 5 Property Crime = 3

United States Average
Violent Crime = 3 Property Crime = 3

The crime indices range 1-10. A higher number corresponds with more crime. Our crime rates are based on FBI data.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:59 AM..

Old 09-05-2009, 12:03 PM

Crime is up here regardless what the stats say, just the other night I had a PBSO helicopter hovering over my gated development with spot lights looking for someone. This has become a usual occurrence here. Take that from someone who lives in Welly World.

Olympia is nothing special and there has been a lot of crime in the confines, theft and etc. I personally would not buy a house in there.

Renters in the gated communities here have to typically go through background checks so saying it's always renters is not exactly true for every situation.

Even if you can afford a house here, the proposals to raise taxes, hurricane premiums and FPL's doings are not welcome news.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:06 PM

114 posts, read 411,909 times
"Even if you can afford a house here, the proposals to raise taxes, hurricane premiums and FPL's doings are not welcome news."

I just bought a foreclosure in Wellington for $500,000 less than what the original purchaser bought it for new in 2006. I just received my proposed tax notice and my taxes have dropped $3500 from the 2008 amount. I spoke with my insurance broker yesterday and based on my appraisal, if I chose the new "replacement" amount, my premium will drop $600.

Is there crime in Wellington? Tell me where there is no crime? Is the crime in Wellington lower than in most places? Yes it is by far.

Would I buy a home in Wellington? Its a no brainer.

"The next time you decide to verbally attack someone, I suggest that you research your own opinion first to make sure that it is based upon the valid facts that you are accusing someone else's opinion to be lacking of."

Pointing out that you are wrong or that your opinions are not factual does not equate to verbally attacking you. You obviously do not like Wellington and that is your right, however, I still fail to see how "Wellington is on the decline." In fact the Village is now investing over $5,000,000 to build a new Village Hall and community center. Does that sound that the Village is on the decline?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobstar View Post
"Even if you can afford a house here, the proposals to raise taxes, hurricane premiums and FPL's doings are not welcome news."

I just bought a foreclosure in Wellington for $500,000 less than what the original purchaser bought it for new in 2006. I just received my proposed tax notice and my taxes have dropped $3500 from the 2008 amount. I spoke with my insurance broker yesterday and based on my appraisal, if I chose the new "replacement" amount, my premium will drop $600.

Is there crime in Wellington? Tell me where there is no crime? Is the crime in Wellington lower than in most places? Yes it is by far.

Would I buy a home in Wellington? Its a no brainer.

"The next time you decide to verbally attack someone, I suggest that you research your own opinion first to make sure that it is based upon the valid facts that you are accusing someone else's opinion to be lacking of."

Pointing out that you are wrong or that your opinions are not factual does not equate to verbally attacking you. You obviously do not like Wellington and that is your right, however, I still fail to see how "Wellington is on the decline." In fact the Village is now investing over $5,000,000 to build a new Village Hall and community center. Does that sound that the Village is on the decline?
Verbally attacking? I think not, you got me all wrong. I live in Wellington for a reason, because I like it. Don't put words in my mouth otherwise. I speak from experience, not from my chair. Fact is the mall attracts crime and PBSO is kept busy do to it. Is it Liberty City? No, not even close.

Your taxes are lower because of the appraised value decreased, same goes for insurance. However since the county is proposing double digit tax increases you can expect that to change if it passes. Insurance hikes are also being proposed. Do you read the news??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach