Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:41 PM

81 posts, read 294,155 times

Advertisements

Especially if you are raising young children, with no family in the area!

Do you like living in West Palm beach/Boca area?
Is it a good place to raise children?
Is the crime a concern?
Is the school system good, or are you doing private?
Would you move somewhere else if you could?
Was it easy to make new friends?
What do you like and dislike about the area?

I know I asked a question like this before, but I thought if I narrowed down my respondents to those who are in our shoes it may be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Well, We have 2 children, 14 and 10....I have my aunt and uncle here however they do have homes in other places and arent here all the time (florida) so we see them from time to time...My aunt is in boynton but she is 80..lol also dont see her very often...We are new here, and again from our expereince we are so surprised....I met another gal today awesome lady thru my daughter, our kids go to school together and what do u know she lives in our section around the corner...so she called me tonight we got to talking and so much in common, and plan on getting together with our Dh's since oddly enough they work for the same company..lol....anyway, I can only give you our experiences have been great here Certainly not what we expected...

My son Swims for the HS swim team, and is now swimming for USS swimming team as well...he loves school he is in public....made alot of friends met alot of nice kids, and loves his teachers...Mind u odd to have a child say "mom I love HS" my daughter loves her school as well, made some really nice friends ...they dont see their grandparents much (my parents) my parents come down here from jan to April, however living in charlotte Nc for 2 years they only came to visit 2x a year...so we can totally relate...

We love our location, shopping, restaurants etc all at our 4 corners...but easy to get to everything..close to highways etc...Not alot of crime over here in West Boca, anywhere u go u have to just know your surroundings...Dislikes, I really dont like the Drivers here, and the construction right now is pretty Sucky..lol but like everything else it is what it is...We are really enjoying living here, and have made some great friends and are meeting more people...

good luck to u and your family...

Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Hi. I saw you bump the other threads so I thought I would respond though I am not a mom but did move to Boca from out of state. I don't have much in FL to compare it to other then Wellington that I really enjoyed. I am 31 and rent a condo in gated community but regardless would feel safe in the area if not. Meeting people I think in general is hard but I have a few. With kids getting into extra activities/groups should help that and you will meet parents or through work if you do. A lot to depends on finance where you live if you rent or buy as well. Some of these HOA fees are unreal to me like where I live but I rent so it is not an issue but for buyers.I was here in the winter and made the full move in July. There is a huge difference though in summer vs winter with snow birds. I will say there is a mix of personalities. Some that are not so nice but I try to not let it get to me. I am not sure how others areas compare though I did not get the same feel in Wellington. I have heard the schools are good in Boca and if I had kids that would be my priority along with safety. WP is way different to me. There is more of a mix of people and backgrounds. It seemed more affrodable to me and more on the go busy if that makes sense. Like I said I rentd in Wellington which is close to WP and also looked at a few places in Royal Palm that was nice. Where in the midwest do you live now? I think as someone who has lived in CA,FL and my hometown MI in the past few years moves always take adjusting. There are good and bad of all areas.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
I love stay at home moms, they always have an excuse not to go get a job and really support the family.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:30 AM

some people dont need an excuse to stay home...some are very fortunate and others it was a choice that they made with their family ....I know I wouldnt change it..Ive been home for 15 years did real estate for 6.5 but I always worked at home at that point....

Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
some people dont need an excuse to stay home...some are very fortunate and others it was a choice that they made with their family ....I know I wouldnt change it..Ive been home for 15 years did real estate for 6.5 but I always worked at home at that point....
I understand and did not mean to be that harsh.
I appreciate that you worked at home. I think that is very commendable.

I do not buy that the ones who "chose" to stay home really wanted to go find a job inthe first place. They chose the easier route.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post

I do not buy that the ones who "chose" to stay home really wanted to go find a job inthe first place. They chose the easier route.
I gotcha now

if I had to go out and work I would...I have been really fortunate not that I dont have too...After moving to charlotte I didnt want to do real estate there, so I went on referal, and since moving here I found other things I enjoy..

Im going to start learning Tennis so this should be interesting...lol

Old 08-27-2009, 12:43 PM

19 posts, read 95,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post

Wow. That is really an unfair and horrible statement. I , for one, have a college degree, have had many jobs and DID choose to stay at home. I have no business judging others who make different choices or have no choice at all. I think ALL mother deserve respect, because ALL mothers work, regardless of whether it is in the home or out. I know I am very lucky to have a choice, but don't put people down.

I think this thread was started by a stay at home mom who wanted info. Please don't turn it into a stay at home mom bashing site. Go start your own if that is what you want.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrisaLou View Post
Wow. That is really an unfair and horrible statement. I , for one, have a college degree, have had many jobs and DID choose to stay at home. I have no business judging others who make different choices or have no choice at all. I think ALL mother deserve respect, because ALL mothers work, regardless of whether it is in the home or out. I know I am very lucky to have a choice, but don't put people down.

I think this thread was started by a stay at home mom who wanted info. Please don't turn it into a stay at home mom bashing site. Go start your own if that is what you want.

I dont think that is what Clean Meant..clean was saying that "those who stay at home as stay at home moms who should be working whether be an unemployed spouse or they are a single mother and so on....alot of my friends have college degrees and chose to stay home with their kids and not follow a career path...I really think you misunderstood

Old 08-28-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I dont think that is what Clean Meant..clean was saying that "those who stay at home as stay at home moms who should be working whether be an unemployed spouse or they are a single mother and so on....alot of my friends have college degrees and chose to stay home with their kids and not follow a career path...I really think you misunderstood
Thank you. It was my fault for the harsh first post, I can definately see how it could be misunderstood.

I am just one who has to be productive at most times. I do not like just being home inside with nothing to do. And I see a few of my friend's wives who use the children as an excuse to do exactly that. Granted I know watching a child is not doing nothing but it is not a 9-5 job.

Then we can get into the costs of daycare and if it is worth it to work- I get it. Sorry for any misunderstandings. Back on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach